Question CPU Ryzen 7 3700x Overheating. 70 c Idle - 95 Load

AlexTT-zeri

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
Hello people. I have recently noticed that my CPU fan cooler makes a lot of noise, thus I started looking into my CPU's temperature and realized that is really high. In fact, whilst the PC is idle the temperature is from 60 degrees C to 70 degrees C. If I start gaming [vulgarity redacted] and it reaches 95 C which is basically the top based on AMD RYZEN MASTER. Now for more details...

I own this CPU for about 3 years. I use the stock cooler. The first time I mounted the chip and the cooler I realized that the fan was very noisy indeed. I recall trying out stuff like lowering the VCORE by 0.1 V and adjusting the fans to reduce the noise via BIOS. Very noisy fans are a big problem for me since it obliterates my experience with gaming. I recall managing a decent noise level that was acceptable thus I moved on. During summer though - a period in which I do not use my PC often I started noticing high temps. These days that I start gaming again the temps are really high. For example, I own a GTX 3060ti and by playing a not-demanding game like Evil Within my CPU reaches 95 degrees C whilst its usage is barely 30%. While idle, the usage is barely 10 and the temperature fluctuates constantly to 60 C up to 70 C and down again. Right now I am afraid to run any type of game.

Any help or advice will be highly appreciated. I am not a PC expert by the way...

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
CPU cooler: Wraith Prism/Stock Cooler
While much better than anything Intel provided with their CPU's, the stock coolers for Ryzen were still pretty basic and just barely adequate. So they tend to push towards Tjmax thermal limits when heavily loaded. It's STRONGLY recommended to consider investing in a much more capable cooler. Not only will it run cooler but it will boost more eagerly and give you better performance, almost like overclocking.

3700X's in particular love 240mm AIO's, there are also any number of air coolers that work equally well. Either way also pay attention to case ventilation else either CPU or GPU cooling will be ineffective...or both. And at the time you change cooler you'll also be putting...

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time. Number of fans in your case + their orientation? Ambient room air temps? You could try and replace the TIM but I think you're in need of an aftermarket cooler if there's no dirt/debris impeding the cooling of the stock cooler, provided the ariflow in your case is good. Would also be a good idea to see if your cooler is seated properly on the CPU.

AlexTT-zeri

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard: MSI Mortar Max B450
Ram: Gigabyte 16 Gb DDR4
SSD/HDD: Toshiba 250GBs
GPU: Gigabyte 3060ti
Bios is
AMD Chipset Drivers
Revision Number
Windows 10
Monitor: Samsung 32" Curved 2k

While much better than anything Intel provided with their CPU's, the stock coolers for Ryzen were still pretty basic and just barely adequate. So they tend to push towards Tjmax thermal limits when heavily loaded. It's STRONGLY recommended to consider investing in a much more capable cooler. Not only will it run cooler but it will boost more eagerly and give you better performance, almost like overclocking.

3700X's in particular love 240mm AIO's, there are also any number of air coolers that work equally well. Either way also pay attention to case ventilation else either CPU or GPU cooling will be ineffective...or both. And at the time you change cooler you'll also be putting on fresh thermal paste so that will take care of that possibility. Doing it now will make only marginal improvement since you're still left with the barely adequate Wraithe cooler.

Last edited:
Solution

AlexTT-zeri

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
Hey guys. Thank you for the replies. I finally got my hands on the Pure Rock 2 cooler I ordered from Be Quiet. I figured since my case and fans are from Be Quiet and I like Quietness I shall buy one of their coolers. Turns out that after dismantling the whole PC, since I wasn't sure if I would be able to replace the stock cooler without removing the motherboard, while also doing a decent cleaning and placing the new cooler, the PC in IDLE has about 20-30 degrees Celcius which is a vast improvement from before. Also, the cooler fan is almost silent and you can barely hear it if you max out its RPM.
The cooler came with a new Thermal Paste attached to it. The PC was not that dusty, to be honest, thus my conclusion is that the main problem was probably a combination of the old paste and the kinda bad stock cooler.