Question CPU showing 90C <2 mins after powerup

Apr 14, 2019
Hi! Having an issue with cooling that I’m hoping to get some help with.

Relevant system specs:
Intel core i7 7820
Asrock X299 killer sli mobo
Corsair H100i pro
850 w PSU, brand new
~2 yr old build, no previous issues

Problem: when I power on the system, it starts up normally, without excessive fan speed, and then the power shuts off approx 2-3 mins after power up.

Attempted fixes:
  1. I thought it was a busted pump on my old cooling unit, just bought a new one, It appears to be seated properly.
  2. Booted to BIOS, noted that it was showing a CPU temp of 90C, but did not engage the cpu cooling fans (the cooling unit is connected to the CPU fan header)
Any thoughts? Could this be a problem with the temp sensor on the mobo? Should I try booting to bios and immediately disabling auto-shutdown (if that’s even possible)?

Appreciate the response, happy to provide more info.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2019
Do not enable the shutdown - if the system is (or believes) you're hitting 90+'C, then the shutdown is for the protection of the hardware.

Are the fans for the cooler spinning at all?

Thanks for the response, yes, the cooler unit fans are spinning (albeit slower than the other case fans connected to a Corsair controller pro), and the water seems to be circulating through the hoses.

Apr 14, 2019
And the moral of the story, kids, is don't use your old cooling unit offsets with your new cooling unit. It will feel secure, but not be making contact with the CPU.

Delete this thread and ban me.

Barty - thanks for your help, very much appreciated.