CPU Shutsdown...

khubani

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Hey everyone,

So I'm having a problem here with my PC. I built this PC ~2 years ago, standing at:

ABIT IL9 PRO/CORE 2 DUO E6600 2.4GHZ
500GB HD
GEFORCE 88000 GTS 320MB
4GB DDR2/32-BIT XP PROFESSIONAL OS
580W PSU

Today, I was gaming (for minutes) and my computer just shut down on me. I turned it on again 3 times and it shut down 3 times, all in the same time frames. I then checked my BIOs to see the core temperatures, and it reported 40-51 degrees Celsius. I've removed the side panel to my processor and cleaned it (still needs more work) and I have left the side panel off. Now, the PC stays on (as long as I need it to, so far..) but while gaming for a short period of time, it shuts down (this has happened twice.) Before this happens, my FPS was ranging from 60~101 (normal, I watch this very closely.) But there were no drastic FPS drops to indicate my video card was overheating. I decided to re-format, and while formatting, my PC came upon this blue screen with the error code: c000021a. Please note that 99% of my problems went away when I removed the side panel. The 1% of this issue is stemming from gaming...help is appreciated.

Solution
I've removed the side panel to my processor and cleaned it

Your processor has a side panel?? :eek:

Are you just guessing that your video card is overheating?? What are the temps? What are the cpu temps during prime95??

If you don't actually test the temps (use coretemp) WHILE running a stress program (prime95) , you have no idea what the temps are. Checking the temps after shutting down a game is not any indication of the actuall temps.

Until you find out what those temps are, there can be no solution because you don't even know the problem.

If you are indeed overheating, that can be the cause, otherwise it sounds like a psu problem to me.

You could also download HW-Monitor. <Just a thought

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

Well whats happening is your computer is BSODing because your overheating through the CPU. The graphics card would not cause this. You will need to take the battery out and hold down the power button for 30 second to do a manual reset of the BIOS once done put the battery back in remove the RAM and the CPU and re-install the RAM and CPU. Apperantly this error code it gave you means: error in memory block c000021a.

So it is saying your memory is fragged. You might try first to just look in your bios for a memory cleaner or scanner to try to fix any errors you might have or google (memory defrag program).

After doing all this you will need to try to re-install Windows agian. This is a pretty common problem so don't worry you will get it fixed.

khubani

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

ShaneMarines,

Thank a lot for your response. Would you mind breaking down what exactly needs to be done? I lost you when you said to take out the battery. Would you mind laying out a step-by-step process so I can clearly understand what needs to be done? Additionally, I reformatted the PC and I just watched about an hour of 720P (HD Streaming) online, and my PC hasn't crashed (yet)...But that's other news. If you would, thanks!

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

Problem: MEMORY and HARD DRIVE FRAGMENT.

Solution:

Step 1: Shutdown computer

Step 2: Take off side panel

Step 3: Remove your power cable

Step 4: Look on your MotherBoard for your CMOS Battery like a watch battery

Step 5: Once removed hold down the power button for 30seconds

Step 6: Put everything back the same way you took it apart

Step 7: Turn on and boot into Windows

Step 8: Once in Windows go to defragment your hard drive and open it

Step 9: Click (Defrag)

Step 10: Once done Defraging restart your computer and your all done!

Thanks for your post!

khubani

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

ShaneMarines,

Thanks alot for replying. I'm going to get some sleep now, but I will definitely do this tomorrow afternoon. Please keep this thread open as I am open to more suggestion should this issue be continuous. Thanks again, Shane!

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

Are you just guessing that your video card is overheating?? What are the temps? What are the cpu temps during prime95??

If you don't actually test the temps (use coretemp) WHILE running a stress program (prime95) , you have no idea what the temps are. Checking the temps after shutting down a game is not any indication of the actuall temps.

Until you find out what those temps are, there can be no solution because you don't even know the problem.

If you are indeed overheating, that can be the cause, otherwise it sounds like a psu problem to me.

You could also download HW-Monitor. <Just a thought

Solution

+1

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Agree with zipzoomflyhigh. If you suspect that temps are your problem then the first step would be to monitor them. HWMonitor is a handy tool for this. Keep an eye on your idle temps and your temps under load. It does sound like a temperature issue since like you said it got better when you removed the side panel to your case. Give your a system a good clean-out. A can of compressed air may come in handy. Ensure you have sufficient airflow through your case too.

Here is a good guide on the basics of case ariflow:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=42853

Post back after monitoring your temps and fill us in with what you find :)

khubani

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Hey guys,

Thanks for your responses. Shane, I haven't done your method seeing as how there's less invasive ways to go about this (using yours as a last resort before I go picking at hardware), but I did download PRIME95 and HW-MONITOR, but I couldn't get PRIME95 to work. It wasn't recognized as an executable when I opened it. However, I do have my game running (about 5 minutes now), and here's a screenshot of the current temperatures...
cpuidq.png

*Update: So, 5 minutes after posting this message, my PC turned off again (while in-game) but does not turn off when I am not in-game. I reseeded the RAM in my PC and I've cleaned out the PC a bit more (I can only do so much with a vaccum cleaner and Q-tips). The screenshot included indicates good temperatures...any suggestions?

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

I would have to agree your PSU is not giving the recommended amount of power the hardware there intell giving your computer BSOD and shutting down. Though it could still be the fact your cpu is overheating you might try to go into bios when booting and downclock CPU, then try the game agian. I mean I'm only giving you suggestions.

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

All you need to check is your motherboard for a 20-pin or 20+4pin connector and make sure to see if your hardware is SATA or Molex. Once you find out you will need to follow this link and use the PSU Calculator I post:

Edit> http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html?Tpk=psu%20calculator

Once you know how many watts you need post it on here and what type of connections you need then we will have a better idea of what to find you and a good price your looking to spend.

Here are some good power supplies:

$50 Rosewill 500watt
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182199

$75 Antec 650watt
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015

$60 Thermaltake 500watt
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153113

$50/$35 after MIR Corsair 400watt
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008

Corsair, OCZ/PCP&Cooling, Zalman, Thermaltake, Antec, etc are the better quality PSU makers. Rosewill is decent.

If your GPU needs 2x PCIe connectors, you'll need to get an adapter if the PSU only has PCIe pin.

EDIT: Oh, and I believe Seer is selling a good antec PSU for $50 in the classifieds section.

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

Good reply for him, I'm going to try to help find him one when he posts my question about price, connectors, and so on.

khubani

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

Hey Shane,

So, I clicked your link but it took me to the main page. But, the PSU I purchased (if you would, use this as a guide-line as a determinant in what PSU would be best suitable) is the following: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817709011

This one lasted me the entire time until today. My budget stands at around $100. If there are any retail outlets (bestbuy, staples, etc.) that have good PSU's, I'd love to save the time (rather than waiting ~1wk..)

*Update: I got your link to work. It recommends a PSU ~404W.

khubani

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
I'm thinking about getting that $75 Antec PSU. For those who want to take a look and let me know if it exceeds your standards for my PC...

Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply - Retail (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015)

Let me know what you all think! I plan on ordering something by the end of tonight!

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

That will work out great! I read the reviews like anyone should they are all happy with it and I see the rating on the buyers give it 5eggs. I also looked at specs I jealous I only have one 6-pin. I would buy that if I had the money right now. Antec is a really reliable brand as well and has good rep.

khubani

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Credit is given when it's due: thank you all for helping me. I believe I've solved my problem, here. zipzoomflyhigh: thank you, as well - allow me to clarify, though: me gaming wasn't my way of gauging the current temperatures of my graphic card - it was more an idea that came to mind - when the client crashed, I'd assumed it was based on video since it only happened when the graphics card was underload every time it crashed (or, 2 out of the 3 times it crashed). Although, the solution I discovered was to enter the BIOs and increase the temperature in which the PC shutsdown when the video card reaches a certain temperature (in celsius.) I incerased this value from 60 to 70 degees Celsius and all is well!

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

Good thinking wow that gave me goosebumps lol.

So if I ever have this problem I will use this effect in the BIOS.

I would have never guessed I mean I think my post up top about resetting your CMOS would have worked, but I'm not sure if the stock settings were already like that. They shouldn't have been.