[SOLVED] cpu speed drops below base speed when gaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 28, 2020
hey guys,

I have a,
gigabyte rtx 2070
intel 17-8700k 3.70ghz
16g of ram
asrock z390 phantom gaming mobo

when im not playing or doing anything my cpu speed is higher than the base speed of 3.70ghz, once I go to play pubg, the speed going far below 3.70, it goes to 1.56ghz or even much lower. i dont know what is the problem, someone please help.

Solution
do i use the can on the inside blowing into the fan out the back? or from the back into the casing?

I dont feel heat coming off the radiator.

dont see any kinks

the tubs themselves feel warm
its an all in one cooler View: https://i.imgur.com/g4p80JU.jpg

Thanks for the extra info

Tubes look fine so we can rule out tube kinks

When you go to blow the dust out make sure your computer is off or put in sleep mode. Don't want dust bunnies being sucked up by any fans

Technically I think you're supposed to use the compressed air in the opposite direction of where the fan is exhausting heat (so you'd want to go to the back of the case and blow out the radiator from there)

But I say just do both...

Furzumz

Reputable
ok im going to shut down the computer and try to blow out the radiator again. if i dont feel heat coming out the back then its not working? think maybe the thermal paste is the problem too?

no heat pushing into the casing from the fan

If you don't feel heat blowing from the front or the back of the radiator then your pump is likely dead unfortunately. Even if they didn't put thermal paste on the processor you'd of likely still felt heat being blown off

Only way to check the thermal paste is to remove the cooler to see if they applied thermal paste, and if so take note of how much they applied. It should cover the entire metal plate on the processor. If they put far too little that can cause heating issues as well.

so i shut the pc down, blow out both sides, no heat that i can feel coming out the back of the casing

Just to make sure, you're checking the radiator when the computer is on correct? And did you check both the front and back of the radiator? If you feel no heat coming from the back of the case where the radiator is located or from the front of the radiator inside the case while your computer is on then your coolers probably dead

Furzumz

Reputable
Also wanted to add because I keep forgetting things, if you do check the thermal paste keep in mind you'll need to reapply new thermal paste after checking it. Taking off your cooler and reinstalling it without applying new paste can trap air. If its old crumbling thermal paste that can be even worse.

Jun 28, 2020
ok im going to take the pump off and check the paste as well as get a new pump because i dont feel any heat coming off the radiator im checking both sides when the computer is running yes. also what kind of pump should i buy? i see this,
Gamemax Iceberg 120 mm Water Cooling System with 7 Colour PWM Fan - Black

is this good?

Furzumz

Reputable
ok im going to take the pump off and check the paste as well as get a new pump because i dont feel any heat coming off the radiator im checking both sides when the computer is running yes. also what kind of pump should i buy? i see this,
Gamemax Iceberg 120 mm Water Cooling System with 7 Colour PWM Fan - Black

is this good?

I'm not the greatest at giving cooler suggestions. Personally I'd recommend making a new thread in the cooling section to ask for suggestions. I'm sure they'd give ya aton of suggestions, just make sure to tell them what processor you got. Also that cooler you linked ships from china. If you're outside of china it could take possibly take 1-3 months to get to you, at least that's my experience with international shipping here in the US.

One other important thing: since your CPU is running REALLY hot I highly recommend you don't use your computer any further until you can get a new cooler. It sucks going without a computer but your processor is being effectively baked even while just browsing the forums. That heat can potentially kill your CPU eventually.

But yeah in my opinion, its most likely your cooler died. Or they just didn't even apply thermal paste, but if you were running your computer for 2 years at 100c I assume your processor would of died by now so its probably not that. More likely your cooler died.

SwarajNandedkar

Reputable
Oct 19, 2016
thefantasyninjas.com

DAMN!

Those temperatures are pretty high. Please check if the temperatures hit the same range while playing other games too or not.

Please check if the CPU heatsink is properly installed or is loose. Please check if the CPU fan is working properly ( not stopping suddenly for a few minutes and starting again ) and have the thermal paste applied properly.

Clean the CPU case, remove any dust with the blower and make sure the air intake spots are not covered. Excessive temperature for a long time will destroy your CPU. Choose the high-quality Water cooler for keeping your CPU cool. If you've overclocked the cpu, then you should have the water cooler.

EVGA CLC 240 Liquid/Water CPU Cooler, RGB LED Cooling 400-HY-CL24-V1 is my recommendation. Check it on Amazon.

Jun 28, 2020
i went with this,
Corsair Hydro Series H60 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, 120mm Radiator, 120mm SP Series PWM Fan

also,

I want to say thank you Furzumz, i appreciate the time you took to help me out! Thank you! I will post the status after i install the new pump.

Reactions: Furzumz