[SOLVED] CPU stuck at base clock speeds when playing only

YaSsEr16

Prominent
Apr 6, 2023
I have Lenovo IdeaPad l340 gaming for 3 years now, and it was perfectly working, but recently the CPU stuck at the base speed which is 2.6 GHz this only happens when playing a game, and the weird for me that when pressing alt+tab the speed goes up to 4 GHz when back to the game become 2.6 again. I didn't change the thermal paste since I bought it can this be the problem?
The specs:
i7 9750H 2.6 GHz
16 GB ram 2400 MHz one slot
1Tb HDD
256GB SDD
Nvidia GTX 1650

Reactions: jnjnilson6
Solution
@YaSsEr16
Lots of different Lenovo laptops have some strange throttling schemes that disable Intel Turbo Boost when playing games or when the Nvidia GPU is active.

Download ThrottleStop

Post screenshots including the FIVR and TPL windows so I can see your settings. Turn on the Log File option on the main screen and play a game for at least 15 minutes so I can check for any throttling. When finished testing, copy and paste your log file data to www.pastebin.com

Bad thermal paste does not disable Intel Turbo Boost. Your paste might be ready for changing but that is a separate issue. The log file will show temperature and throttling data.

Lenovo used a...
@YaSsEr16
Lots of different Lenovo laptops have some strange throttling schemes that disable Intel Turbo Boost when playing games or when the Nvidia GPU is active.

Download ThrottleStop

Post screenshots including the FIVR and TPL windows so I can see your settings. Turn on the Log File option on the main screen and play a game for at least 15 minutes so I can check for any throttling. When finished testing, copy and paste your log file data to www.pastebin.com

Bad thermal paste does not disable Intel Turbo Boost. Your paste might be ready for changing but that is a separate issue. The log file will show temperature and throttling data.

Lenovo used a variety of methods to accomplish turbo boost throttling. Your log file will help show what method Lenovo is using and what needs to be changed in ThrottleStop to prevent this from happening. At default settings, my old 4th Gen Lenovo laptop has the same throttling problem. Surprising that Lenovo was able to screw over their customers for so long and get away with it.

For best gaming performance, start by disabling Windows 11 VBS including core isolation memory integrity.

Reactions: jnjnilson6
Solution

YaSsEr16

Prominent
Apr 6, 2023
@YaSsEr16

Download ThrottleStop

Lenovo used a variety of methods to accomplish turbo boost throttling. Your log file will help show what method Lenovo is using and what needs to be changed in ThrottleStop to prevent this from happening. At default settings, my old 4th Gen Lenovo laptop has the same throttling problem. Surprising that Lenovo was able to screw over their customers for so long and get away with it.

For best gaming performance, start by disabling Windows 11 VBS including core isolation memory integrity.
UPDATE:
did what u said
linkof pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/WhQG6nqp

@YaSsEr16
The FIVR screen shows that you have Windows 11 Virtualization Based Security enabled. This can reduce overall game performance. When VBS is enabled, many items in the FIVR window will not work correctly. VBS blocks direct access to many registers within the CPU including the voltage control register. If you want to do some testing, follow the link I posted above to disable VBS. You will need to reboot and delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file after you do this.

If you need to run WSL2 or if maximum security is critical to you, leave VBS enabled.

The log file shows almost constant PL1 power limit throttling. That is the real problem. That is why your CPU is performing so poorly when gaming. The 9750H has a 45W TDP rating. The log file shows that power consumption is only 15W or less. This throttling is forcing your 9750H to run much slower compared to most other laptops with this same CPU. Kind of dishonest for Lenovo to sell you a CPU with a 45W TDP rating but then throttle it down to only 15W when you are trying to play a game.

In the TPL window - Turbo Power Limits section, check the MMIO Lock box. I would also clear the Disable Controls box in the TPL - Power Limit Controls section. Try running another log file after you do this. An updated log file will show if any progress has been made.

Some laptops are using an embedded controller (EC) to force feed low ball power limits to the CPU. These kind of problems are much harder to solve so hopefully the above fixes help out.

Are you running Lenovo Vantage or any other Lenovo control type software? If you are still having throttling problems, I would uninstall anything Lenovo related to see if that helps.

YaSsEr16

Prominent
Apr 6, 2023
@YaSsEr16
The FIVR screen shows that you have Windows 11 Virtualization Based Security enabled. This can reduce overall game performance. When VBS is enabled, many items in the FIVR window will not work correctly. VBS blocks direct access to many registers within the CPU including the voltage control register. If you want to do some testing, follow the link I posted above to disable VBS. You will need to reboot and delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file after you do this.

If you need to run WSL2 or if maximum security is critical to you, leave VBS enabled.

The log file shows almost constant PL1 power limit throttling. That is the real problem. That is why your CPU is performing so poorly when gaming. The 9750H has a 45W TDP rating. The log file shows that power consumption is only 15W or less. This throttling is forcing your 9750H to run much slower compared to most other laptops with this same CPU. Kind of dishonest for Lenovo to sell you a CPU with a 45W TDP rating but then throttle it down to only 15W when you are trying to play a game.

In the TPL window - Turbo Power Limits section, check the MMIO Lock box. I would also clear the Disable Controls box in the TPL - Power Limit Controls section. Try running another log file after you do this. An updated log file will show if any progress has been made.

Some laptops are using an embedded controller (EC) to force feed low ball power limits to the CPU. These kind of problems are much harder to solve so hopefully the above fixes help out.

Are you running Lenovo Vantage or any other Lenovo control type software? If you are still having throttling problems, I would uninstall anything Lenovo related to see if that helps.
UPDATE:
here is the new log file I think the performance is better now
https://pastebin.com/UAMTVZyr

performance is better now
You have traded one problem for a new problem. Instead of power limit throttling, now the CPU is constantly running at 95°C and it is thermal throttling. The CPU is running 800 MHz slower than it should be running because it is too hot.

You need to improve cooling. Have you ever disassembled your laptop to blow out the dust? If this does not solve the problem , try replacing the thermal paste. Sometimes just cleaning out the heatsinks with some compressed air can make a big difference.

Post an updated log file after a spring laptop cleaning.

YaSsEr16

Prominent
Apr 6, 2023
You have traded one problem for a new problem. Instead of power limit throttling, now the CPU is constantly running at 95°C and it is thermal throttling. The CPU is running 800 MHz slower than it should be running because it is too hot.

You need to improve cooling. Have you ever disassembled your laptop to blow out the dust? If this does not solve the problem , try replacing the thermal paste. Sometimes just cleaning out the heatsinks with some compressed air can make a big difference.

Post an updated log file after a spring laptop cleaning.
I always keep the dust away from the fans and the whole laptop but never replaced the thermal paste since bought it like 3 years, so I think it's my first priority now. I really appreciate your help thank u a lot, this problem was like a nightmare for me that made me think that my laptop is dead for gaming.

Reactions: uWebb429