Culogep

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
My motherboard just died a few days ago so I want to upgrade my pc.
I just don't know what CPU should i choose. I had a suggestion that the 2700x with an X370 or X470 motherboard would be a good choice.

I compared more CPUs at "Userbenchmark", it came out that 2700x is the weakest.
Compared it with Ryzen 5 3600, Intel i5-9400F, i5-9600K, i5-9600KF(dont even know whats the difference).

Plus the bottleneck calculator said that the 2700x will bottleneck with my GPU more than 90%. (they said that it is bull)

The PC is mostly used for gaming and my goal is to get more FPS, more fluid performance.

Thanks for the answers in advance!

Mod Edit for Language

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I've had zero issue with my B450 motherboard (see specs below), but I don't do that much with it other than leave it running 24/7.

If you want 8 cores and only have a $400 budget, then you're definitely looking at the Ryzen 7 2700(X).

If you can spare the extra change, then I'd probably recommend the following:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($164.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.97 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $414.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-03...
I compared more CPUs at "Userbenchmark",

That's your first mistake... ignore Userbenchmark for comparisons to dissimilar systems. Firstly because you have no idea what kind of system was being tested by the submitters, so averages and high scores are skewed by heavily overclocked systems with a lot of submittals as they repetitively 'test and retest' while dialing in their system tuning. Secondly, and most importantly, because it's highly synthetic with some processor scores being adjusted artificially. Specifically, 8 core chips are adjusted downward in results.

Instead look at reviews with controlled comparisons by reliable reviewers.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOOohlyJem0

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A2yatfyLoo

a couple to watch.

Last edited:
My motherboard just died a few days ago so I want to upgrade my pc.
I just don't know what CPU should i choose. I had a suggestion that the 2700x with an X370 or X470 motherboard would be a good choice.

I compared more CPUs at "Userbenchmark", it came out that 2700x is the weakest.
Compared it with Ryzen 5 3600, Intel i5-9400F, i5-9600K, i5-9600KF(dont even know whats the difference).

Plus the bottleneck calculator said that the 2700x will bottleneck with my GPU more than 90%. (they said that it is <Mod Edit>[)

The PC is mostly used for gaming and my goal is to get more FPS, more fluid performance.

Thanks for the answers in advance!

word of advice, the "bottleneck calculator" is the most worthless and fake website ever to be seen.... take it with at least 2kg of salt.

anyways, 0 bottlecks of 2700x with -ANY- GPU in existance.

now going into a new rig, the mainstream all around cpu that will not let you down, 3600, the 9xxxx intel series will have a bit more performance overall, perhaps a few frames more, but not worth it imo, you'd better get the more core-ish ryzen, it sorta also depends on your budget, my nowadays recommendation is the 3700x, a bit more pricey but has real cores in exchange for that easy 5 years relaxation on cpu.

did i mention that the bottleneck calculator is a scummy and worthless website?

Reactions: Culogep
I agree with above, userbenchmark has its place and can be useful but is not a way of comparing CPU’s for gaming, you need a lot more information. Bottleneck calculators are complete misleading garbage, just forget anything it said.

Personally I would not go with an i5. While they can achieve better average FPS they can also suffer lower 0.1 & 1%’s which have a bigger impact than a few FPS at average. There are already games that can heavily stress an i5 (6 core/thread) and can use 8 threads when available. Having seen how poorly 4 core/thread i5’s have aged in the last couple of years and I see signs that 6 core/thread are going the same way I’d much rather a 2700x or 3600 over an i5. You need to look at trustworthy reviews and pay attention to minimum FPS and not just average.

Reactions: Culogep

Culogep

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
That's your first mistake... ignore Userbenchmark for comparisons to dissimilar systems. Firstly because you have no idea what kind of system was being tested by the submitters, so averages and high scores are skewed by heavily overclocked systems with a lot of submittals as they repetitively 'test an
What to upgrade depends on your budget and your current components. Please list them:

Upgrade Budget:
CPU:
Motherboard:
RAM:
Storage:
Graphics Card: RX 390
Power Supply:

-Wolf sends
d retest' while dialing in their system tuning. Secondly, and most importantly, because it's highly synthetic with some processor scores being adjusted artificially. Specifically, 8 core chips are adjusted downward in results.

Instead look at reviews with controlled comparisons by reliable reviewers.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOOohlyJem0

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A2yatfyLoo

a couple to watch.
What to upgrade depends on your budget and your current components. Please list them:

Upgrade Budget:
CPU:
Motherboard:
RAM:
Storage:
Power Supply:

-Wolf sends

Upgrade Budget:
CPU:
Motherboard:
RAM:
Storage:
Power Supply:

-Wolf sends

Upgrade Budget:
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
Motherboard: A lot of people's opinnion the "B" type motherboards are garbage, thr 370X needs to be updated with another CPU, so it would be a 470x i guess
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz
Storage: Crucial SSD around 200 GB + 500GB old western digital
Graphics Card: RX 390x
Power Supply: FSP HydroX 550W 80 Gold

Culogep

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
The budget is around 400$, for that i want the best performance. If its a bit higher i don't mind, just perform nicely and last for long. I read articles about 6 cores are sometimes not enough, what do you think about that? Because 9600k is 6 core 6 threads it wont be enough in the close future? 8core 16 threads will last much longer?

Culogep

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
I agree with above, userbenchmark has its place and can be useful but is not a way of comparing CPU’s for gaming, you need a lot more information. Bottleneck calculators are complete misleading garbage, just forget anything it said.

Personally I would not go with an i5. While they can achieve better average FPS they can also suffer lower 0.1 & 1%’s which have a bigger impact than a few FPS at average. There are already games that can heavily stress an i5 (6 core/thread) and can use 8 threads when available. Having seen how poorly 4 core/thread i5’s have aged in the last couple of years and I see signs that 6 core/thread are going the same way I’d much rather a 2700x or 3600 over an i5. You need to look at trustworthy reviews and pay attention to minimum FPS and not just average.
But the 3600 has 6 cores too. :O

Wolfshadw

Titan
I've had zero issue with my B450 motherboard (see specs below), but I don't do that much with it other than leave it running 24/7.

If you want 8 cores and only have a $400 budget, then you're definitely looking at the Ryzen 7 2700(X).

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Flare X Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-03 09:22 EST-0500

There are cheaper RAM kits available, but I opted for the CAS 14 over CAS 16. A bit better performance, but if the extra change isn't available, you could swap it out or go with a less expensive B450 motherboard.

-Wolf sends

Solution

Culogep

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020

PCPartPicker Part List

Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-03 09:22 EST-0500

There are cheaper RAM kits available, but I opted for the CAS 14 over CAS 16. A bit better performance, but if the extra change isn't available, you could swap it out or go with a less expensive B450 motherboard.

-Wolf sends
It's not because i need 8 cores, I just don't change my CPU every year, thats why I want it to last long. It's okay if the performance is a slightly worse, just want it to not die because of games in the future. 3600x seems to be de best choice but its almost cost 2x more. I don't do office work at home, its only for gaming. Do you still recommend he 2700x?

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
It's not because i need 8 cores, I just don't change my CPU every year, thats why I want it to last long. It's okay if the performance is a slightly worse, just want it to not die because of games in the future. 3600x seems to be de best choice but its almost cost 2x more. I don't do office work at home, its only for gaming. Do you still recommend he 2700x?
Yes because In the future more and more cores will be needed that’s the only reason my last pc lasted 10 years because it had 2 6 core xeons in it making it still somewhat relevant even though the single core performance is half of what new CPUs can do lol

If the 3700X is twice the price of a 2700X. of course the 2700X is the only choice.

Feb 3, 2020
Yeah, I would go with the 3700x if that's the CPU you can afford as it seems your best choice. Also as stated by many other users, take the bottleneck calculator with 2KG of salt because of all the different factors and every computer is different.

Wolfshadw

Titan

I upgraded to this rig from an Intel Core I5-760 (first gen), so I know about wanting systems to last. Given your budget, the 3rd Generation Ryzen 7s are completely out of range. The 3rd Gen Ryzen 5s are doable, but you would need to go with a B450 MAX series motherboard or one that has a Flashback button on it so you could update the BIOS without needing a natively compatible processor. The X570 motherboards would support the 3rd gen out of the box, but they are more expensive. You would definitely need to swap out the RAM as well.

This also might be doable:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($204.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard ($154.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $424.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-03 09:48 EST-0500

-Wolf sends

Culogep

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
I upgraded to this rig from an Intel Core I5-760 (first gen), so I know about wanting systems to last. Given your budget, the 3rd Generation Ryzen 7s are completely out of range. The 3rd Gen Ryzen 5s are doable, but you would need to go with a B450 MAX series motherboard or one that has a Flashback button on it so you could update the BIOS without needing a natively compatible processor. The X570 motherboards would support the 3rd gen out of the box, but they are more expensive. You would definitely need to swap out the RAM as well.

This also might be doable:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($204.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard ($154.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $424.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-03 09:48 EST-0500

-Wolf sends
So basicly what you are saying is the 2700x not worth it because it wont last long?