[SOLVED] CPU support for ram

cedys02

Prominent
Nov 12, 2018
Hi guys,

I want to upgrade my ram to a 8x2 kingston ddr4 predator 3200 mhz. The reasons why im upgrading my ram because sooner or later i will be upgrading to ryzen 3000 series.

My current setup is
I5-7600k
Msi z270 gaming m7
Corsair 8x2 ddr4 2400mhz

My questions is will the new ram run in my mobo since in the cpu spec it only supports 2400 mhz

Solution
If your current processor can handle games ok now, why are you looking to change to ryzen?
From a cpu point of view, you still have some cpu power in reserve via overclocking.

Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

As to your original question, the 2400 speed that your motherboard supports is the speed at which you can run without overclocking. All ram will boot at the slowest speed to allow you to get into the bios where you can configure higher speeds. Selecting a higher speed XMP profile is the usual way.
Your motherboard can...
You have 16gb now.
Best to wait until you have decided on your AM4 motherboard.
Then, you can more certainly buy ram that is known to be supported.
ryzen can be picky about ram.
And... ram prices seem to be under pressure.
You are likely to get a better price later.

"Do not do today what you can put off for tomorrow. Tomorrow, you may regret your premature action"

cedys02

Prominent
Nov 12, 2018
What is your gpu ? /600k is still powerful cpu, If you upgrade for gaming you may not feel much difference. You dont have to upgrade from 7600k to 3600x or 3700x
My gpu is a Asus RX 580 8gb strix OC. Tho I still didn't oc my cpu as of now since it can still handle games at high settings

cedys02

Prominent
Nov 12, 2018
You have 16gb now.
Best to wait until you have decided on your AM4 motherboard.
Then, you can more certainly buy ram that is known to be supported.
ryzen can be picky about ram.
And... ram prices seem to be under pressure.
You are likely to get a better price later.

"Do not do today what you can put off for tomorrow. Tomorrow, you may regret your premature action"
You're right about that. Just wondering if it has increase on intel but based on the comments it isn't

Gedikpasha

Reputable
Jul 9, 2019
My gpu is a Asus RX 580 8gb strix OC. Tho I still didn't oc my cpu as of now since it can still handle games at high settings
Upgrading your GPU will provide more fps rather than upgrading CPU. If I were you I would stick with the 7600k and sell my 580 and will get 5700 XT but you should wait for the partner cards for 5700xt.

If your current processor can handle games ok now, why are you looking to change to ryzen?
From a cpu point of view, you still have some cpu power in reserve via overclocking.

Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

As to your original question, the 2400 speed that your motherboard supports is the speed at which you can run without overclocking. All ram will boot at the slowest speed to allow you to get into the bios where you can configure higher speeds. Selecting a higher speed XMP profile is the usual way.
Your motherboard can support ram as fast as 4133 when overclocked.
Here is an older study on ram speed scaling:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1478-page1.html
The net is that the difference between slow and fast ram is negligible, on the order of 1% for gamers using a discrete graphics card.

Should you go ahead and order fast ram with the intent of buying a future AM4 motherboard, restrict your choices to ram on your prospective motherboard QVL list.
Not all DDR4 ram will otherwise be compatible.

Most games do not take effective advantage of more than 4 threads.
You have a 8 thread upgrade available on your current setup with a i7-7700K.
The big advantage of ryzen is for the many cheap threads.
They are largely overclocked out of the box and faster than 4.2 is unlikely, and only from the better binned X suffix versions.

If your use is for multithreaded production, then ryzen is very good.
For pure gaming, Intel is still best, but by a decreasing margin.

Reactions: Gedikpasha
Solution