FlewDesigns

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
Hello there!

So... I built this PC recently for a friend, he was willing to pay a bit more but i thought for only gaming purposes this would do just fine!
All went well everything seems fine although the CPU is jumping temps quite a bit. I tried everything from re-doing the thermal paste, fan curves, fan optimal exhaust/push positions
it has 6 fans so shouldnt be to hot bar the heat the GPU pushes into the case.

Idling at 40-45c
randomly will jump to 55-65c.
When playing mid tier games Counter strike it sits around 65-75c
75-85c Cyberpunk and some crashes

So my main question. Have i gone a bit cheap on the CPU should i get the Ryzen 7950x for only £200 more?
I still have 30 days to return the CPU and swap.

Thanks for your advice!

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3G87pB

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3G87pB

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (£352.59 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 DIGITAL 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler (£71.30 @ MoreCoCo)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX ATX AM5 Motherboard (£202.00 @ MoreCoCo)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory (£118.99 @ Corsair UK)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£156.10 @ Senetic)
Storage: Kingston KC3000 2.048 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£126.61 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card (£1804.99 @ Currys PC World)
Case: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case (£197.01 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£139.99 @ Box Limited)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home Retail - Download 64-bit (£107.02 @ Senetic)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AX3000 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax PCIe x1 Wi-Fi Adapter (£23.47 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: Lian Li ST120 69.17 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack (£34.99 @ AWD-IT)
Total: £3335.06
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-12-22 23:53 GMT+0000

D

Deleted member 2962262

I think that's a good CPU choice.
Time to work out why the system is crashing.
Those CPU temps for cyberpunk aren't great; should not be causing crashes per se, but you should be able to get it running cooler with that equipment.

Reactions: FlewDesigns

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
randomly will jump to...
When executing commands all the time, are we supposed to expect core activity, and thus temperature NOT to move at all? 'Cause this pops up so often in threads that it sure seems like it's not supposed to. If it didn't move to run those commands, nothing would happen.

When playing mid tier games Counter strike it sits around 65-75c
75-85c Cyberpunk and some crashes
CS runs on potato, and doesn't require much grunt at all. Not so for Cyberpunk, which I'm sure the gpu is dumping more waste heat in the case, and thus increasing case ambient than it would with CS. This does affect operating temperatures.

So my main question. Have i gone a bit cheap on the CPU should i get the Ryzen 7950x for only £200 more?
Heck no. If just for games, the dual CCX Ryzens are not ideal. The core scheduling isn't perfect; commands can accidentally get assigned to the slower cores on the 2nd CCX, and then you'll wish you'd stuck with the single CCX Ryzen.

fan optimal exhaust/push positions
it has 6 fans so shouldnt be to hot bar the heat the GPU pushes into the case.
Optimal? IDK. Tower air coolers don't care for exhaust fans in the roof situated in front of them. That's just preventing some of the air coming in from the front from getting to them. Non-blower gpus favor that though.
Catch 22: Are you going to prioritize cpu cooling, or gpu cooling?

EDIT: Also forgot to mention that the front panel of the iCUE 5000X doesn't bring in as much air vs the Airflow models.

and some crashes
What kinds of crashes - how is it crashing?
If you are getting bsods, what are the error messages, and what is the driver responsible(usually followed by the error message)?

Reactions: thestryker
What is the fan configuration?
If you're using the three front intake and installed the others in the top as exhaust then that may be where the problem is. That case has poor intake airflow since the front is blocked off by a slab of tempered glass. In this situation the GPU would probably be heat soaking the CPU cooler when running graphics heavy titles as it's dumping over 400W into the case. Three exhaust fans in the top also don't really help air coolers and can sometimes cause problems due to pulling hot air across the intake.

There's no reason an AK620 should have any issues at all cooling that CPU.

Also of note the 7800X3D is by far the most power efficient current gen CPU you can buy so anything higher is going to have significantly more heat issues.

FlewDesigns

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
When executing commands all the time, are we supposed to expect core activity, and thus temperature NOT to move at all? 'Cause this pops up so often in threads that it sure seems like it's not supposed to. If it didn't move to run those commands, nothing would happen.
Well no i expect fluctuation but its just at windows splashscreen and still jumping 10c or more.
CS runs on potato, and doesn't require much grunt at all. Not so for Cyberpunk, which I'm sure the gpu is dumping more waste heat in the case, and thus increasing case ambient than it would with CS. This does affect operating temperatures.

Heck no. If just for games, the dual CCX Ryzens are not ideal. The core scheduling isn't perfect; commands can accidentally get assigned to the slower cores on the 2nd CCX, and then you'll wish you'd stuck with the single CCX Ryzen.

Optimal? IDK. Tower air coolers don't care for exhaust fans in the roof situated in front of them. That's just preventing some of the air coming in from the front from getting to them. Non-blower gpus favor that though.
Catch 22: Are you going to prioritize cpu cooling, or gpu cooling?

EDIT: Also forgot to mention that the front panel of the iCUE 5000X doesn't bring in as much air vs the Airflow models.

What kinds of crashes - how is it crashing?
If you are getting bsods, what are the error messages, and what is the driver responsible(usually followed by the error message)?
i was recommended this CPU for gaming :p

its not crashing just the games are, FPS drops then crashes. ide like it to run smoothly for him so wondering what can be done, i will recommend removing the glass panel on the front :) help a tiny amount.

Last edited:

FlewDesigns

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
What is the fan configuration?
If you're using the three front intake and installed the others in the top as exhaust then that may be where the problem is. That case has poor intake airflow since the front is blocked off by a slab of tempered glass. In this situation the GPU would probably be heat soaking the CPU cooler when running graphics heavy titles as it's dumping over 400W into the case. Three exhaust fans in the top also don't really help air coolers and can sometimes cause problems due to pulling hot air across the intake.

There's no reason an AK620 should have any issues at all cooling that CPU.

Also of note the 7800X3D is by far the most power efficient current gen CPU you can buy so anything higher is going to have significantly more heat issues.
The 3 case fans at the front, 1 intake fan at the top nearer the front to help with the draw so 4 intake fans and then 2 exhaust 1 rear top of case and then i would call it the main exhaust fan on the rear behind the heatsink.

I wasnt sure if its best to do 3 intake at the front and then 3 exhaust however i dont think these inbuilt case fans have great rpm's hence why i added an extra intake at the top?

we could remove the glass slab at the front to help with airflow.

Thanks for replying.

FlewDesigns

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
I think that's a good CPU choice.
Time to work out why the system is crashing.
Those CPU temps for cyberpunk aren't great; should not be causing crashes per se, but you should be able to get it running cooler with that equipment.
Yeah i did some tweaks idles between 38-45c which is decent. its just as soon as i play anything even counterstrike it hits 65c which i know these cpu's are meant to hit high temps but still.

It really doesn't matter what the actual temperature number is as long as it is below the limit where the cpu thermal throttles and reduces the clocks.

Load hwinfo64 and look at the part of the display that shows if it is hitting the thermal limits. I would load cinebench and test with that. If anything is going to hit the limit that program will.

The cooler you have should easily be able to keep up with a 7800x3d even at full load.

If it doesn't I would run with the case open to rule out case fan issues. If it still hits the limit then you need to look at the cooler or its mounting.

You can't really overclock the x3d chips. On other cpu if you can cool it better you can do stuff like increase the clock mulitipliers etc. On the x3d if the temperature is below the limit reducing it further does not really change anything.

I wasnt sure if its best to do 3 intake at the front and then 3 exhaust however i dont think these inbuilt case fans have great rpm's hence why i added an extra intake at the top?
With the glass in the front you definitely need clean intake from somewhere side would be ideal, but I don't think that has a dust filter. The standard fans Corsair ships are pretty good at moving air, but they have relatively low static pressure which is why blocking the front impacts temperatures so much. I replaced mine for this reason even though I have the Airflow model.
The 3 case fans at the front, 1 intake fan at the top nearer the front to help with the draw so 4 intake fans and then 2 exhaust 1 rear top of case and then i would call it the main exhaust fan on the rear behind the heatsink.
That seems to be about the best configuration you can manage without using the side.
its not crashing just the games are, FPS drops then crashes. ide like it to run smoothly for him so wondering what can be done, i will recommend removing the glass panel on the front :) help a tiny amount.
It would be worthwhile checking some hardware monitoring (HWMonitor, HWInfo, Afterburner etc) when playing games to see if it's possible to detect where the crash is occurring because it could be GPU, CPU or both. It might be worthwhile running some benchmarking software to isolate GPU and CPU as well as possible to see if any of those will crash to give you an idea if nothing else helps.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well no i expect fluctuation but its just at windows splashscreen and still jumping 10c or more.
Windows runs service .exes in the background. Most of the cores are sleeping, with a couple 'springing awake' at full speed to finish whatever the task is as fast as possible - although that still depends on the software installed in everyone's PCs.
It's normal and within expectations.

As to the serious problem at hand...
its not crashing just the games are, FPS drops then crashes.
So the games are crashing to desktop? That often is drivers/software.
The motherboard drivers(chipset, lan, audio) are up to date? The storage drivers may have their own drivers.
And since the PC is fresh, make sure Windows isn't still updating in the background.

FlewDesigns

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
With the glass in the front you definitely need clean intake from somewhere side would be ideal, but I don't think that has a dust filter. The standard fans Corsair ships are pretty good at moving air, but they have relatively low static pressure which is why blocking the front impacts temperatures so much. I replaced mine for this reason even though I have the Airflow model.

That seems to be about the best configuration you can manage without using the side.

It would be worthwhile checking some hardware monitoring (HWMonitor, HWInfo, Afterburner etc) when playing games to see if it's possible to detect where the crash is occurring because it could be GPU, CPU or both. It might be worthwhile running some benchmarking software to isolate GPU and CPU as well as possible to see if any of those will crash to give you an idea if nothing else helps.
Sorry for screenshots not logged in to forums on his pc.

CPU Cinebench https://gyazo.com/6da075d4941f29ef3b85e1a3d766576f
CPU was hitting around 82c

GPU Cinebench https://gyazo.com/6e0b68e91ceeb4488d1452b54984c21e

Think the gpu is fine?

see any issues?

thanks

Last edited:

FlewDesigns

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
Done a few things, launched counterstrike was sitting comfortably at 55-65c.

Cyberpunk on optimized settings was sitting at 70-75c, but i dont think its that bad for cyberpunk?

was getting 150fps

TRENDING THREADS