CPU temp during bios..

slashxcode

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
I appear to be getting a crazy cpu temperature, 54*c just during the bios. That can't be normal, right? Heat sink seems to be installed correctly but it's going at 1600 RPM. Would this be due to the i7 heatsink, or could it be a deeper CPU issue? Thinking of bringing it into microcenter to get a heatsink professionally installed.

Solution
TL;DR: Don't worry, the CPU temps shown in the BIOS are high because the CPU in the BIOS runs at its full clock speed

On my PC, I'm seeing ~50 degrees celsius in the BIOS / UEFI, and just 25 degrees celsius while idling on Windows as shown by Real Temp.

Here is why: In the BIOS, the CPU is running at its full clock speed [so ~4GHz on my i7 6700K]. When idling on Windows however, the CPU clock goes all the way down to just 800MHz. At this reduced frequency, the CPU consumes much less power, and also generates much less heat.

Then, running a CPU stress test automatically gets the CPU to increase its clock back to the ~4GHz, and I'm then getting temperatures of about 50 to 55 degrees celsius at 100% load.

So, don't panic because you're...
Running the BIOS represents a true idle condition. 54 C is high for that.

Stock heatsink with the pushpins? There are enough instructions and youtube videos out there.

You are running at stock speed, right?

The only thing I recommend is that you install the CPU and heatsink before you install the motherboard in the case. That way, you can inspect the back of the motherboard to insure that the pushpins are properly seated.

You can also breadboard the system (a not bad idea anyway):
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboarding

That will eliminate any possible bad case effects.

You also can try different temperature monitoring software inside Windows for a second opinion.

not correct your cpu should be near idling under bios as its running mostly off the bios chip not the cpu.
the only role the cpu is playing is to show up and interface between the bios and screen. ei making the computer boot and runing the gfx. things which it will do in windows at less than 1 percent load.

54'c is high. load up optomized defaults and see if the issue persists.
if it does check the cpu volts are set to under 1.35 and the memory is set to under 1.65 and the qpi is set to under 1.35 these are the safe maximums for an i7 920 but as you dont say what core i7 you have you will have to apply your own safe maximums, but if they are set this high or higher by default then you have a bios problem.

hopefully they will be much lower like 1.18, 1.5 and 1.2 which are my defaults for my 920 do stepping at 2.67ghz 1366 socket

AMD X6850

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
I just got another reply on a different post that the CPU is under 100 percent load during bios and that my temperature was fine...which is correct?

Not entirely sure about this, but before I started building my PC, I read somewhere the the CPU is not idling while in BIOS so the temperatures may be higher than while idling in Windows. So the
CPU under 100% load in BIOS" may have some element of truth to it. Don't know why it doesn't idle but sure enough, my temperatures in BIOS are about 40*C, while idling in Windows brings it down to 30*C.

Despite this, 50*C is still quite high for BIOS.

Cpu definitely runs hotter in bios than on desktop.

Unless for some reason you are working in your bios 24/7, I would not be concerned about bios temps.

The only temps to be concerned about are load temps. You can test these buy running Intel Burn test while having Coretemp open.

AliAbbas_786

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
Every forum i have just read says the bios does not load any thing that a os will, and thus making the cpu use 100% based on many conflicting stories it will be ideal to just leave it. My bios temps are 41c wheresas in windows every app shows idle at 26 to 28c

DineshB

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
TL;DR: Don't worry, the CPU temps shown in the BIOS are high because the CPU in the BIOS runs at its full clock speed

On my PC, I'm seeing ~50 degrees celsius in the BIOS / UEFI, and just 25 degrees celsius while idling on Windows as shown by Real Temp.

Here is why: In the BIOS, the CPU is running at its full clock speed [so ~4GHz on my i7 6700K]. When idling on Windows however, the CPU clock goes all the way down to just 800MHz. At this reduced frequency, the CPU consumes much less power, and also generates much less heat.

Then, running a CPU stress test automatically gets the CPU to increase its clock back to the ~4GHz, and I'm then getting temperatures of about 50 to 55 degrees celsius at 100% load.

So, don't panic because you're seeing high temps in the BIOS.

Note: Read about Intel's SpeedStep feature, which changes the CPU's clock speed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedStep
Note: A CPU can idle even when its clock runs at 4GHz - this will happen if you disable the SpeedStep feature for instance

Solution