[SOLVED] Cpu temp goin 90 to 100 degrees while gaming

Feb 8, 2020
hello my cpu temp is goin 90 to 100 degrees while gaming and without gaming its temp are 45 to 50.
should i be worried about this temps? and this high cpu temps are harmful for other components as well like ram and gpu?

specs
core i5 3470 3.2
ram 8gb
asus board P8B75-M
gpu rx 580 8gb aorus gigabye

Solution
aside from checking the fan, heatsink contact and thermal paste - the obvious is air flow in the case. CPU temp will rise if you're not moving enough air out of the case
Feb 6, 2020
Check the cooler, most likely explanation for this IME is one of three things, all cooling-related:

1. Dust in the heatsink (more of a problem if it's an air cooler)
  2. Dried up thermal material
  3. Dead pump (if it's an AiO) or heatsink fans (if air)

4745454b

Titan
It shouldn't be harmful to other things. Though I'm sure the radiating heat doesn't help. Yes, you should be concerned about your CPU. The temps need to come down. Make sure the fan is spinning and make sure the heatsink is free of dust/dirt.

Feb 8, 2020
hello my cpu temp is goin 90 to 100 degrees while gaming and without gaming its temp are 45 to 50.
should i be worried about this temps? and this high cpu temps are harmful for other components as well like ram and gpu?

specs
core i5 3470 3.2
ram 8gb
asus board P8B75-M
gpu rx 580 8gb aorus gigabye
Check cooler first. When did you changed your thermal paste ? Change it, then if the situation is the same it could be the bigger problem. I am an expert for that, there is the phenomenon called bottleneck, that represents the relationship between GPU and CPU. If the bottleneck percentage between these two is high then that is the main problem. And I'm afraid that I'm gonna need to disappoint you, bottleneck is high. Your graphics card is too powerful for your CPU and that could be reason why is the temperature of CPU 90-100. I mean it is good CPU but your GPU is much better. :(

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
@Mr.Spock @tariq1223

Thats what I was thinking. When talking heat management, the case itself is just as important as anything else, yet its rarely ever mentioned. His case should really be the first thing discussed. If it wasn't well designed in the first place, all other methods of managing heat won't matter that much.

Feb 8, 2020
Check cooler first. When did you changed your thermal paste ? Change it, then if the situation is the same it could be the bigger problem. I am an expert for that, there is the phenomenon called bottleneck, that represents the relationship between GPU and CPU. If the bottleneck percentage between these two is high then that is the main problem. And I'm afraid that I'm gonna need to disappoint you, bottleneck is high. Your graphics card is too powerful for your CPU and that could be reason why is the temperature of CPU 90-100. I mean it is good CPU but your GPU is much better. :(
should i try changing the case?

Feb 8, 2020
i dont understand your bottleneck thing but ill tell u gpu temps also maybe then i will understand,

gpu temps are 45 to 50 when not gaming and cpu temps are also same

and while gamping gpu temps goes upto 60 to 70 degrees and cpus goes upto 90 to 100

Jun 10, 2019
im usin msi after burner for temps
You're tracking CPU temp with afterburner?...

Use HWMonitor and post a screen shot of temps after installed.

I'm not sure on the max temps for your CPU, but upwards of 90c, in my experience will result in the CPU shutting down to prevent thermal damage. I don't think I've ever seen a CPU truly run at 100c and not fail.

Edit: After some research, it looks like 105c may be the absolute max temp for your processor. With that being said, it's still a scary temp, and recommend checking with HWMonitor to make sure.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020
You're tracking CPU temp with afterburner?...

Use HWMonitor and post a screen shot of temps after installed.

I'm not sure on the max temps for your CPU, but upwards of 90c, in my experience will result in the CPU shutting down to prevent thermal damage. I don't think I've ever seen a CPU truly run at 100c and not fail.

Edit: After some research, it looks like 105c may be the absolute max temp for your processor. With that being said, it's still a scary temp, and recommend checking with HWMonitor to make sure.
View: https://imgur.com/3mgzSeO

Jun 10, 2019
It's a doable temp, but only under medium load, with a max of 89 at less than100% cpu usage. That's higher than what I would like to see. Odds are that running prime95 or any other cpu stress test will cause much higher temps that may result in CPU shutdown.

Recheck temps at idle and post, please.
A little higher up on HWMonitor is a section for Temperatures, can you post a ss of them aswell? Also, at the bottom are your GPU specs, could use them to see if its just the cpu at high temps.

Atm, it looks like 1 of 2 thing; Failing CPU cooler/fan, or inadequate air flow in your case. (Seems as this will likely be the cause.) Try opening the side panel for a minute or two, see if temps drop at all.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With that case, it's airflow. There's no possibility of any intake air at all, so the cpu cooler is doing double duty, pulling air in from the side vents (mostly) and trying to manage cpu temps. The exhaust fan is probably a 92mm fan, and pretty inadequate for removal of heat by itself.

Your idle temps are high because it's impossible to mechanically cool a cpu lower than ambient temps, and in your case with an air cooler, ambient temps are the case temps. Without sufficient airflow bringing in lower outside air, the cpu/gpu exhausts are creating a hot-box, so won't allow case temps to be lower than low/mid 40's, so the cpu sits just above that at rest.

For that case, a couple of good 80/92mm fans on the lower vent and a decent cfm exhaust fan are your only options. But you'd be better off with a new case that has far superior airflow.

Feb 8, 2020
With that case, it's airflow. There's no possibility of any intake air at all, so the cpu cooler is doing double duty, pulling air in from the side vents (mostly) and trying to manage cpu temps. The exhaust fan is probably a 92mm fan, and pretty inadequate for removal of heat by itself.

Your idle temps are high because it's impossible to mechanically cool a cpu lower than ambient temps, and in your case with an air cooler, ambient temps are the case temps. Without sufficient airflow bringing in lower outside air, the cpu/gpu exhausts are creating a hot-box, so won't allow case temps to be lower than low/mid 40's, so the cpu sits just above that at rest.

For that case, a couple of good 80/92mm fans on the lower vent and a decent cfm exhaust fan are your only options. But you'd be better off with a new case that has far superior airflow.
ok thanks, i will look to buy another case