Question Cpu temp jumping around on idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2019
Hello, I just built my new pc and my cpu temps are jumping from 40-50 when idle.
Says my max temp has been 70 also when idle

Ryzen 7 3800x
NZXT Kraken x72

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Firstly I would ensure that your CPU cooler is properly seated, with adequate thermal paste applied. So you will likely want to remove the cooler, clean off all old thermal paste, and reapply. If the issue stills persists then I would verify that the AIO itself is working normally.

As for general idle temps jumping in the 40s this can be perfectly normal my friend:

The latest Ryzen can operate normally up to 1.5V - It has a boost from idle feature whereby it applies heavy voltage to each core to boost it out of sleep and then stabilise which results in voltage and heat spikes when this happens as you have a lot of voltage being pushed into a very small space, so the temperature suddenly spikes as it reacts.

Reactions: DMAN999
Sep 22, 2019

Firstly I would ensure that your CPU cooler is properly seated, with adequate thermal paste applied. So you will likely want to remove the cooler, clean off all old thermal paste, and reapply. If the issue stills persists then I would verify that the AIO itself is working normally.

As for general idle temps jumping in the 40s this can be perfectly normal my friend:

The latest Ryzen can operate normally up to 1.5V - It has a boost from idle feature whereby it applies heavy voltage to each core to boost it out of sleep and then stabilise which results in voltage and heat spikes when this happens as you have a lot of voltage being pushed into a very small space, so the temperature suddenly spikes as it reacts.
okey, but why does it show that it has been at max 70 degrees?

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I would have to guess that you have a warm room temperature or you are using the High Performance power plan or you have Very poor case airflow or your cooler is not properly mounted and set up correctly.

That cooler should cool that CPU very well.
My 3700x idles around 31-34c with my room temperature at 22-23c.
I have an Arctic Freezer 33 eSports dual fan cooler and 3 intake fans and 2 exhaust fans in a mid tower case (see my signature for my full specs).
And I use the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan with my minimum Processor State set to 10%.

Sep 22, 2019
I would have to guess that you have a warm room temperature or you are using the High Performance power plan or you have Very poor case airflow or your cooler is not properly mounted and set up correctly.

That cooler should cool that CPU very well.
My 3700x idles around 31-34c with my room temperature at 22-23c.
I have an Arctic Freezer 33 eSports dual fan cooler and 3 intake fans and 2 exhaust fans in a mid tower case (see my signature for my full specs).
And I use the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan with my minimum Processor State set to 10%.
oh can it be cause i have both side panels removed? havent put them back on cause im waiting for a new psu to arrive

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Having the side panels off shouldn't effect your cooler as much as it would an air cooler like mine because it uses a radiator.
It could cause your other components to run a bit warmer than normal though.
You could place a desk/window fan to blow directly at the PC until you put the side panels on to help cool the motherboard and GPU.
Have you made sure the pump and fans for that cooler are set up to run properly ?

Sep 22, 2019
Having the side panels off shouldn't effect your cooler as much as it would an air cooler like mine because it uses a radiator.
It could cause your other components to run a bit warmer than normal though.
You could place a desk/window fan to blow directly at the PC until you put the side panels on to help cool the motherboard and GPU.
Have you made sure the pump and fans for that cooler are set up to run properly ?
How do i check if they are set up to run properly? And i also did a 3dmark test and cpu hit 76 degrees max

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Sep 22, 2019

Hi I have now both upgraded bios and remounted the aio, but nothing has changed

Wheel in the Sky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2013
I was having a problem of my Ryzen 5 2600X running around 40-50C at idle, and it kept cycling through a range of temperatures, jumping up to around 50C, then counting back by about 1 degree per second before jumping back up again. Now I'm idling around 31C, and no weird temperature cycling, all from 1 simple change to a Windows Setting. Go to Control Panel --> Hardware and Sound --> Power Options --> Edit Plan Settings --> Change advanced power settings -->(new window) expand Processor Power Management --> expand Maximum Processor State. Change it from 100% to 99%.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I was having a problem of my Ryzen 5 2600X running around 40-50C at idle, and it kept cycling through a range of temperatures, jumping up to around 50C, then counting back by about 1 degree per second before jumping back up again. Now I'm idling around 31C, and no weird temperature cycling, all from 1 simple change to a Windows Setting. Go to Control Panel --> Hardware and Sound --> Power Options --> Edit Plan Settings --> Change advanced power settings -->(new window) expand Processor Power Management --> expand Maximum Processor State. Change it from 100% to 99%.
I would also add that doing this on a 3600X I checked also restricted it's turbo boost and dropped performance.
Just may want to check performance after making this change.

Sep 22, 2019
my temperatures went down but its still cycling through 36-45

chlywly

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Hey guys! I'm having literally an identical issue and it has been driving me bananas! I've just built a system with a Ryzen 7 5800x + Asus Crosshair VIII Hero + Fractal Design S2 /w Celcius Prisma S28 (28mm AIO/Rad) I've got 2 in take fans and 2 exhaust fans, great pressure. Problem is My temps have been jumping ALL over the damn map from 33-55! sometimes a 10 degree jump on idle.

The odd thing is, doing this weird tweak to the power settings, MAX POWER from 100% > 99% seems to have fixed it. However, I want to overclock eventually and not run into any weird throttling.

Why is this happening. Is it a software issue, a windows issue. So confused.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Hey guys! I'm having literally an identical issue and it has been driving me bananas! I've just built a system with a Ryzen 7 5800x + Asus Crosshair VIII Hero + Fractal Design S2 /w Celcius Prisma S28 (28mm AIO/Rad) I've got 2 in take fans and 2 exhaust fans, great pressure. Problem is My temps have been jumping ALL over the damn map from 33-55! sometimes a 10 degree jump on idle.

The odd thing is, doing this weird tweak to the power settings, MAX POWER from 100% > 99% seems to have fixed it. However, I want to overclock eventually and not run into any weird throttling.

Why is this happening. Is it a software issue, a windows issue. So confused.
It happens because of the way the Ryzen CPU's are designed.
They boost up on a few cores a Lot.
Using the Ryzen Balanced Plan with a lower Minimum Processor State lets the CPU idle at lower clocks (mine idles at around 2.2 GHz instead of 3.6 GHz) so the temps don't get as high at idle.
But it still boosts up to max boost clocks when needed.

And just FYI, an all core OC will actually lower your single core performance compared to just using PBO.
So I would not bother doing a manual all core OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.