Question CPU temp keeps climbing to 90-95C when gaming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 7, 2023
I have a ASUS ROG GV601RW, with a Ryzen 6900HS and a RTX 3070Ti, but for some reason the CPU keeps overheating to 90-95C while I'm gaming. My idle temps are fine at around 45C. I bought it a few months ago and it was working fine until recently it started overheating.

Also, I keep getting constant BSODs with stop code dpc_watchdog_violation, if anyone knows possible causes, pls tell me

Reactions: jnjnilson6

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The processor will go to 110 Deg C, you're not overheating in your current predicament. If you do a bit of digging you'll see that the laptops with Intel's And AMD's latest tech run hot as opposed to their prior generation of mobile tech.

Check and see if your laptop has any BIOS updates pending. You can try undervolting your GPU and APU.

Apr 7, 2023
Really? On the 6900HS's official page I see a maximum temperature of 95C, and it gets to that temperature very fast when gaming. I don't see any pending bios updates, my version is 313. The GPU stays chill though. I think for AMD laptops like mine, the CPU is part of the APU...?

I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
The coolers are also relatively underpowered.
If you run an app such as HWMonitor or HWinfo, you will get the current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures.
For intel processors, if you see a max of 100c. in red, it means you have throttled. I think the point for amd is 95c.
The cpu will lower it's multiplier and power draw to protect itself
until the situation reverses.
At a lower multiplier, your cpu usage may well be at 100%
What can you do?
First, see that your cooler airways are clear and that the cooler fan is spinning.
Use a windows balanced power profile, not the performance profile.
Set a minimum cpu performance to something like 20%

It is counter-intuitive, but, try changing the windows balanced power profile advanced functions to a max of 90% instead of the default of 100%
You may not notice the reduced cpu performance.

Apr 7, 2023
I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
The coolers are also relatively underpowered.
If you run an app such as HWMonitor or HWinfo, you will get the current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures.
For intel processors, if you see a max of 100c. in red, it means you have throttled. I think the point for amd is 95c.
The cpu will lower it's multiplier and power draw to protect itself
until the situation reverses.
At a lower multiplier, your cpu usage may well be at 100%
What can you do?
First, see that your cooler airways are clear and that the cooler fan is spinning.
Use a windows balanced power profile, not the performance profile.
Set a minimum cpu performance to something like 20%

It is counter-intuitive, but, try changing the windows balanced power profile advanced functions to a max of 90% instead of the default of 100%
You may not notice the reduced cpu performance.
Usually when I'm gaming I use armoury crate and set it to Turbo mode. I did check my cooler airways and tha they are all clear and my fans didn't die. However, an interesting thing I noticed was that my CPU's boost clock is 4.9GHz, but it never really even reaches 4.2. Also, I had to use manual mode and set the CPU's max sustainable power to 15w (its tdp is 35w) to keep it from reaching 90C. Is it possible to stop it from overheating by unplugging it though?

Boost clock applies to only one or two cores, not all cores running.
Nothing wrong with running and touching 100c. At least on a desktop.
I think on a laptop perhaps 95c. might be the throttle point.
The chips are built to tolerate heat.

If you set windows to use a performance profile. when plugged in, a laptop will use maximum power for the cpu and will use a hotter graphics chip.
Heat builds and the processor throttles(slows down) until the situation resolves.
During that period performance suffers but your cpu busy might still be 100% but at a much lower clock rate.
When unplugged, the default will be to lower the cpu clock and use integrated graphics to conserve battery run time. Heat will be less, but so will performance.

My suggestion is to game while plugged in, but use a balanced power profile, not the performance profile. That lets windows manage power.
You could experiment with setting max cpu power in windows to 99%

I am wary about using non windows apps to manage things.

Apr 7, 2023
How do I set the max cpu power in windows? I'm a new user to Windows 11 and have no idea. 95C is the maximum temperature for my CPU (I checked on AMD official site), and I have read in a lot of places that sustained heat can damage components, and that's what I'm mostly worrieid about. In settings I have already set the power setting to best efficiency (or whatever that's on the top of the list, my windows is not in english). I set it to best performance (or whatever it is) as an experiment anyways.

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
I'm using Windows 11 and that doesn't seem right...

I don't see the settings you're talking about.
Another way of doing this in Win11 would be:

1. Click on Start
  2. Type in 'Control Panel' and hit enter.
  3. Click on 'System and Security.'
  4. Click on 'Power Options.'
  5. Next to your specific plan, select 'Change plan settings' in blue.
  6. Click on 'Change advanced power settings' in blue.
  7. Click the '+' sign behind 'Processor power management.'
  8. Here you will find 'Maximum processor state.'

This is how to get there. I am not versed in the expressiveness and potentiality of geofelt's method, which I am sure should be merited highly, for which I have proceeded with providing a second explanation of the route provided by him. I hope everything works out and am sure that geofelt and the other users will indubitably be of great help in finding solutions and experimenting vitally within the multitudinous particulars of the issue.

Thank you!

D

Deleted member 2838871

I just upgraded my system from 10900k to 11900k (for PCIE 4.0 with the new 4090) and ran Prime95 for 30 mins at full stress... temps topped out in the low 80's C...

360mm AIO and Washigton state ambient temps. :D

Apr 7, 2023

1. Click on Start
This is how to get there. I am not versed in the expressiveness and potentiality of geofelt's method, which I am sure should be merited highly, for which I have proceeded with providing a second explanation of the route provided by him. I hope everything works out and am sure that geofelt and the other users will indubitably be of great help in finding solutions and experimenting vitally within the multitudinous particulars of the issue.

Thank you!
I'll try and see if lowering the maximum power deals with the temps. THanks

Apr 7, 2023

1. Click on Start

Thank you!
Nope, It doesn't help. I lowered it to 90% and while gaming it still gets to 95C, it's maximum temperature. Any other ideas that might help (I don't mind sacrificing some performance)?

Status
Not open for further replies.