[SOLVED] cpu temp question

Jun 9, 2020
i have an i7 5820k on a msi x99a gaming 9 ack with a deepcool gamerstorm 240 for cooling, it is OC'd to 4.2GHz at 1.15v non adaptive as this is acts a bit weird on my board or ive set it up wrong. my current OC it idles at around 45 degrees Celsius and hits 65-70 degrees Celsius at max load after temps settle, it does this consistently and will drop to exactly 45degrees Celsius when the load is reduced to idle what i want to know is even though the temp seem kinda high for water cooling is the fact that they are consistent better?

Solution
Idle temperatures start with the ambient(aka room) temperature and go up from there.
A good cooler will add on 10-15c.
Your temperatures are normal if your ambient temperature is a toasty 30c.

Your pump could be mounted unevenly.

Perhaps have an issue with old paste.
Or, your case cooling may be such that it can not supply sufficient fresh air to the radiator to let it do it's job.

Are your radiator fins clear?
Does the pump operate at 100% all the time?
Jun 9, 2020
for a 240mm AIO these temps aren't high
they are in the range of what's to be expected.
up to 70°C is fine. there's nothing gained by going lower.

my main concern is the idle temp it seems bit high, from what ive read on other sites there are people with air coolers with higher OC with lower idle temps but load temp in excess of 80°C. would there be much of an improvment on idle temps with a 360 or would it only really effect the load temps

Last edited:
Idle temperatures start with the ambient(aka room) temperature and go up from there.
A good cooler will add on 10-15c.
Your temperatures are normal if your ambient temperature is a toasty 30c.

Your pump could be mounted unevenly.

Perhaps have an issue with old paste.
Or, your case cooling may be such that it can not supply sufficient fresh air to the radiator to let it do it's job.

Are your radiator fins clear?
Does the pump operate at 100% all the time?

Solution