CPU temp reaches 85 degrees Celsius after 2 minutes

Foomate

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017
I am using Prime95 on a Lenovo G510 laptop with an Intel i5-4210M cpu
I run the "Blend test" and withing 2 minutes the CPU and assembly temp reaches 85 degrees Celsius, so I stop the test (I'm afraid the motherboard would melt? or this temp is only at the CPU and doesn't reach the motherboard due to the heatspreader?)

I'm afraid to keep the test running for hours if it reaches 85 degrees in 2 minutes!
What do you think?

Solution
Over time, a laptop can accumulate dust in the cooling system.
That makes cooling less efficient.

See if you can't open it up and clean things up.
Some might advocate reseating the cooler with new paste, but I do not think that is likely to help much.
Prime95 is not a great test.
IBT and others are not either.

A laptop has limited cooling capability so I am not surprised at 85c.
Your cpu will slow down or shut off if it reaches a dangerous temperature, likely about 100c.

But... why try to push it?
Under normal or even heavy load conditions you will not push that hard.
It works.. Move on and enjoy your laptop.

After a long time, dust can accumulate in a laptop so cleaning might be required eventually.

Foomate

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017
Thanks guys, I want to stress test my laptop because it's already 2.5 years old, and when I do abit higher demanding tasks than normal (gaming) the fan starts to run fast with temps reaching the 80's Celsius, so I wonder if after 2.5 years the thermal paste has gone bad and I should replace it? Or that's the nature of my laptop - when I do games on a mobile Intel CPU it runs very hot and that's how it should be, even if the cooling is working as it should
*Right now my temps are 40 degrees celsius as I'm writing here. (normal load) with the fan very quiet (maybe not even spinning? I can't hear it)

Over time, a laptop can accumulate dust in the cooling system.
That makes cooling less efficient.

See if you can't open it up and clean things up.
Some might advocate reseating the cooler with new paste, but I do not think that is likely to help much.

Solution