[SOLVED] CPU Temp spikes and fan ramping up every 5 seconds ?

InfurnoHD

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2015
So I've buildt a new pc and i cant help but notice that the CPU temps keep jumping up and down, as well as the fan speed. (See picture below)
HuafiGr.png

I've checked the bios and i cant manually tune the fan curve. I get a visual graph of the fan curve but i can only set modes and its currently set to quiet or silent, cant remember.

Any ideas? The pc is brand spankin' new so theres no dust or anything that would hamper the fans cooling ability. Would also like to point out that the fan is the stock AMD fan that came with the CPU (Wrath or Stealth or something.) Also the AMD Ryzen Master OC feature is set to auto.

PC SPECS:
eVMogVF.png

Thanks.

Solution
@InfurnoHD : Temp spikes are normal for Ryzen as it boosts aggressively even when you think it's 'idle'. You need to set a custom fan profile to keep the fans from boosting with each spike. I set profile with a barely audible, fixed fan speed up to about 65 or 70C then start rising it from there. It should only get annoying loud at about 80C and approach something like max speed at 90 or 95C.

Also, the Wraithe cooler that comes with a 3600 is just barely adequate for it and needs to turn a lot of rev's to keep it cool. So if using it a better cooler will do wonders for reducing noise levels.
@InfurnoHD : Temp spikes are normal for Ryzen as it boosts aggressively even when you think it's 'idle'. You need to set a custom fan profile to keep the fans from boosting with each spike. I set profile with a barely audible, fixed fan speed up to about 65 or 70C then start rising it from there. It should only get annoying loud at about 80C and approach something like max speed at 90 or 95C.

Also, the Wraithe cooler that comes with a 3600 is just barely adequate for it and needs to turn a lot of rev's to keep it cool. So if using it a better cooler will do wonders for reducing noise levels.

Solution

InfurnoHD

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2015

Was thinking about a 120mm or 240mm AIO, what do you think is appropriate? No OC'ing planned

Was thinking about a 120mm or 240mm AIO, what do you think is appropriate? No OC'ing planned
Don't bother with a 120mm AIO; use nothing less than a 240mm.

And check out reviews: all AIO's have a limited life due to permeation that reduces liquid volume to the point it becomes noisy (with pump gurgling) and ineffective. Some can be very short, but the good ones should last at least 5 years.

Roger, any recommendations?
I like my CoolerMaster LM-240. If you avoid the RGB model and get the base model it's a pretty good price too, competitive with high-end air coolers. I've had it for about 4 years now with only occasional gurgling noises if I reposition the system or move one of the hoses. None during operation. Also be sure to position the radiator so the hose attachment end is well below the pump. That makes air accumulate in upper tank and not get drawn into the pump to make the gurgling noises.