Question CPU temp suddenly rises on boot before getting into widows (fan is working)

Nov 29, 2019
Last night my computer was running fine as always , and i shut it down. Today I woke up and my PC is having a weird issue.
As soon as it turns on, It starts to suddenly reach high CPU temps which continues to rise up to 90 or 100c (It was always 35-50 even when working never saw it more than 60 before) and while the temprature is going up, i can hear the fan also trying more and more... It shows the fan RPM too and it gets higher and higher up to 2300 or something so the fan is working and not dead right? Also I havent installed the CPU myself to know how the thermal paste is applied but as it was running fine for years i assume its ok... As I havent touched the pc since last night , It must be something that can happen by itself but i dont know what! Can it be a virus? I didnt think so myself because it happens before windows booting.... It also happens when in bios....
I ran out of ideas... Can this be CPU itself getting damaged? To me it seems like its pocessing something soo hard because a few seconds after its turned on , the temp is normal and not rising, but it starts to rise right when it makes a bleep sound and starts the booting or gets into bios.... Likely a virus working on bios level? How to fix?
Thanks in Advance

Nov 29, 2019
whats ur system specs? Have u tried and reset the cmos by taking out the mobo battery or reset bios? u can also download the latest bios firmware and flash the new bios...
Mobo is Asus Rampage V Extreme , CPU is an Intel I7
How is it possible that this problem accrued all by itself? I havent done anything new.... I will try and see if i can remove the battery but im not really sure how it will help

Nov 29, 2019
use the intel processor diagnostic tool to run a test on your pc and see what it comes up with, also do a complete virus scan using malwarebytes antimalware or use kaspersky...
I think i shouldnt even leave the system till it boots to windows, since the temprature is already too high even before boot...

do a thing, clean ur pc and reapply the thermal paste... i wud recommend the coolermaster matergel maker... Also take the cabinet sides out and let the entire case be open so better airflow... place the pc cabinet in an open area... then go ahead boot and do the tests... and bdw how r u checking the temps before boot?

Nov 29, 2019
do a thing, clean ur pc and reapply the thermal paste... i wud recommend the coolermaster matergel maker... Also take the cabinet sides out and let the entire case be open so better airflow... place the pc cabinet in an open area... then go ahead boot and do the tests... and bdw how r u checking the temps before boot?
Right, i did this... Took out the PC and cleaned it... i even took every fan out and cleaned their dust too... And then put them all back... Now That i start the PC, the Heat build up is Still Here! But it feels just a little bit slower to reach those very high temps.... But it still does reach 100c!! (While the case is open too and the room is also pretty cold!)
I can see the CPU Temp both on the OC Panel on the case and Inside the bios....
It feels really weird for a cpu to just get +1 degree celsius every sec when fan is working fine and its just standing idle in bios.... Im thinking of a malware more and more... Is it possible for malwares to do this after all?

Right, i did this... Took out the PC and cleaned it... i even took every fan out and cleaned their dust too... And then put them all back... Now That i start the PC, the Heat build up is Still Here! But it feels just a little bit slower to reach those very high temps.... But it still does reach 100c!! (While the case is open too and the room is also pretty cold!)
I can see the CPU Temp both on the OC Panel on the case and Inside the bios....
It feels really weird for a cpu to just get +1 degree celsius every sec when fan is working fine and its just standing idle in bios.... Im thinking of a malware more and more... Is it possible for malwares to do this after all?
malware at the bios level, i doubt it... what cooler are u using? did u flash the bios? without running the diagnostic it is not possible to say whether the processor is failing or not...

Nov 29, 2019
malware at the bios level, i doubt it... what cooler are u using? did u flash the bios? without running the diagnostic it is not possible to say whether the processor is failing or not...

Its a Liquid CoolerMaster model...
Yes I downloaded the latest bios and flashed it using the tool inside the UEFI but it didnt help...
They tell me that it might be the cooler failing but can it be failing even tho the fan is spinning alright and the tubes which deliver the oil are intact...? (There isn't any leak...)
I also tried re aplying the thermal paste (even tho the previous one seemed fine) but no luck :(

This very expensive MoBo can have a problem with on it's own deciding to deliver overvoltage to the CPU and will grill your components and also voltage problems with RAM..... check your voltage settings in bios and what they should be in the handbook.

I am more AMD than Intel but do a bit of Google and you will get an idea of what seems to happen, how old is the board? And what PSU is intalled?

Reactions: aryaazimi72

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Aha! A liquid cooler system that very suddenly is overheating badly, with no prior history of similar symptoms. I suspect strongly that the PUMP unit on top of the CPU has failed, so there is no movement of cooling fluid to the radiator for cooling. OR, you have lost too much liquid from the system even if the pump is working. Check these details.

1. Where is the PUMP unit cable plugged in on the mobo - the CPU_FAN header, or another one. Whichever header the PUMP is plugged into, check in BIOS Setup what speed THAT "fan" shows. My guess is that you really have been watching the speed of the FANS on the rad and they do speed up. But that does not remove heat if it is not moving from CPU chip to radiator. Normally the PUMP speed will not be changing - it usually runs at a constant speed.
  2. As your system starts up and warms up, with fans speeding up, have the case open. Feel the hoses from the pump to the rad. If it is working, one will get warm and the other will stay cool. If BOTH stay cool, then there is no warm water flow going to the rad.

Its a Liquid CoolerMaster model...
Yes I downloaded the latest bios and flashed it using the tool inside the UEFI but it didnt help...
They tell me that it might be the cooler failing but can it be failing even tho the fan is spinning alright and the tubes which deliver the oil are intact...? (There isn't any leak...)
I also tried re aplying the thermal paste (even tho the previous one seemed fine) but no luck :(
ohh okay, now its more clear; this is why u shud always list all ur system specs in your question...
i thought u were using an air cooler; so liquid coolers can fail and most often its the pump; can u try with a spare stock cooler?

Nov 29, 2019
So my PC came back with a new Cooler (Cooler Master LM120L RGB) and its working perfectly now!!! (even cooler than before , which was also a cooler master liquid cooler but older version)
The problem was that it was not pumping the liquid anymore.... probably the pump was dead or the tubes got closed or something? But yea... For liquid coolers , If your CPU suddenly starts to get hot veeery fast, and your fan is working, Definitely check if the liquid is pumping or not! you may need to replace the cooler.... seems like they die after some time... mine was 4-5 years old....
Thanks to everyone who answered, and to the whole TomsHardware community!
Good Luck!