[SOLVED] cpu temprature at 90 / massive fps drop

Sep 8, 2021
After asking a professional, he checked my pc and said that my cpu temp were reaching 90, then he told me i needed to change the cpu, cooler, I used to play fortnite at around 240 fps, but after cleaning my pc my frames were dropping all the way to 50 and to the point where the game was unplayable. So I'm wondering was that happening because my cpu temp was reaching around 90. I mean that is a huge fps drop, from 240 to 50 to as I said before the game became unplayable.

Solution
when the CPU temperature reaches a high enough level, usually high 80s C, it will start to throttle performance and eventually lead to system shutdown to keep the system from being damaged due to the excessive temp.

you will need to ensure you have an adequate cooler plus adequate airflow throughout the system.

if your CPU is getting this hot then it's likely other components like your GPU are also throttling due to the heat.

you need to post your complete system specs along with your system-wide cooling setup for any advice relating to how to stop it from happening.
when the CPU temperature reaches a high enough level, usually high 80s C, it will start to throttle performance and eventually lead to system shutdown to keep the system from being damaged due to the excessive temp.

you will need to ensure you have an adequate cooler plus adequate airflow throughout the system.

if your CPU is getting this hot then it's likely other components like your GPU are also throttling due to the heat.

you need to post your complete system specs along with your system-wide cooling setup for any advice relating to how to stop it from happening.

Solution
Sep 8, 2021

I am currently have a i5 9400f , RTX 2060 super , 16 gb ram , and water cooling.

I am going to change the water cooling as the guy said it was damaged, but I am really curious as why fortnite became totally unplayable because of the massive fps drops and me literally reaching around 50 fps. Was it because my cpu temp was reaching around 90 or is that not the case ?

currently have a i5 9400f , RTX 2060 super , 16 gb ram , and water cooling.
"water cooling" isn't saying much in regards to the system-wide cooling setup.

your case, the fans used along with their placement and orientation, the type of radiator and pump, average room ambient temperature, etc are all a part of your cooling setup.