[SOLVED] CPU temps fluctuating constantly

Oct 16, 2020
Recently got a new motherboard and CPU (Ryzen 7 3800x and Asus ROG Strix x570-f), I built the pc all fine (had a bit of trouble with the CPU cooler but I tried again and made sure the thermal paste was applied correctly). However, the temperatures on idle are fluctuating around 40 - 50 - 60, mainly it stays on 50 but every few seconds or so it jumps to 68 and then slowly goes back to 50 then it repeats. I have a friend who has the same CPU who says this happens with his also, I'm just looking for more clarification that this is normal because 60 degrees idle doesn't seem to good to me.

Also, my frames are weirdly capped 144, in 'Mordhau' I have V-sync off, I have the setting in game off, I have Riva Tuner off. I can't think of any other reason it should be capped, yet it is.

And another major point which has been really annoying me from the start of getting my PC, my performance is utter trash no matter what I do. I have a better pc than my friend yet he gets around about 30 FPS more than me in Destiny 2 (this was with my old PC), even with my new PC after one test I'm pretty sure I still get less frames than him!! I have a RTX 2070 Super and he has 2060 super, how is that possible (I also have a better CPU). In Mordhau with my new setup I get 144 frames on low 130-40 on medium and only around 100-120 on ultra, this surely isn't normal for my pc, the usages while on medium sits at around 30% on CPU and 50% on GPU, while in ultra it's 30%CPU and 70% GPU, while in low they are both around 20-30. Why is there not more usage, I just don't get it.

Solution
Recently got a new motherboard and CPU (Ryzen 7 3800x and Asus ROG Strix x570-f), I built the pc all fine (had a bit of trouble with the CPU cooler but I tried again and made sure the thermal paste was applied correctly). However, the temperatures on idle are fluctuating around 40 - 50 - 60, mainly it stays on 50 but every few seconds or so it jumps to 68 and then slowly goes back to 50 then it repeats. I have a friend who has the same CPU who says this happens with his also, I'm just looking for more clarification that this is normal because 60 degrees idle doesn't seem to good to me.

Also, my frames are weirdly capped 144, in 'Mordhau' I have V-sync off, I have the setting in game off, I have Riva Tuner off. I can't think of any...
Oct 16, 2020
The temp swing is normal.

Did you perform a full clean install of Windows?
No I didn't, is that something I missed? When I plugged it in to my ssd it just worked so I assumed it was ok. I will try this tomorrow although I'm not 100% sure how.

So the temp swing is normal even up to 70 degrees idle? My last CPU (r7 1700) stayed cool when idle and got hot in game which is what I assumed for this one.

No I didn't, is that something I missed? When I plugged it in to my ssd it just worked so I assumed it was ok. I will try this tomorrow although I'm not 100% sure how.

So the temp swing is normal even up to 70 degrees idle? My last CPU (r7 1700) stayed cool when idle and got hot in game which is what I assumed for this one.
Definitely need to do a clean install after a motherboard change.

Install the latent Windows and all latest chipset driver for your motherboard. Also, be sure to install the latest driver for your GPU.

Oct 16, 2020
Definitely need to do a clean install after a motherboard change.

Install the latent Windows and all latest chipset driver for your motherboard. Also, be sure to install the latest driver for your GPU.
I'm pretty sure I've got all of the drivers installed, the motherboard drivers confuse me a lot but I will install them again, would I have to delete old ones? I will try windows install and update!

Do you think the usage numbers are normal when playing games?

Thanks a lot for the help

I'm pretty sure I've got all of the drivers installed, the motherboard drivers confuse me a lot but I will install them again, would I have to delete old ones? I will try windows install and update!

Do you think the usage numbers are normal when playing games?

Thanks a lot for the help
After a fresh install of Windows we can start troubleshooting if you still have problems.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Oct 16, 2020
A FULL format and reinstall. Save what you need prior.
So I did the complete reinstall of Windows and am now almost done on installing all of the apps and things back to my PC, I've just got to download my games. Once I've done that I will update you, so far the temp fluctuations are still happening. I will install all of the motherboard drivers again and see what happens, thanks for the help so far.

So I did the complete reinstall of Windows and am now almost done on installing all of the apps and things back to my PC, I've just got to download my games. Once I've done that I will update you, so far the temp fluctuations are still happening. I will install all of the motherboard drivers again and see what happens, thanks for the help so far.
The temperature fluctuations is part of how Ryzen works. They are perfectly normal.

Oct 16, 2020
The temperature fluctuations is part of how Ryzen works. They are perfectly normal.
ah ok, i'll stop worrying about that. I did take down the voltage a tad on the CPU because it seemed to be running higher than the stock, it was running at 1.46 which seems too high for the 3800x. So I took it down to 1.35 which is apparently the usual.

dimtodim

Reputable

Also, my frames are weirdly capped 144, in 'Mordhau' I have V-sync off, I have the setting in game off, I have Riva Tuner off. I can't think of any other reason it should be capped, yet it is.

And another major point which has been really annoying me from the start of getting my PC, my performance is utter trash no matter what I do. I have a better pc than my friend yet he gets around about 30 FPS more than me in Destiny 2 (this was with my old PC), even with my new PC after one test I'm pretty sure I still get less frames than him!! I have a RTX 2070 Super and he has 2060 super, how is that possible (I also have a better CPU). In Mordhau with my new setup I get 144 frames on low 130-40 on medium and only around 100-120 on ultra, this surely isn't normal for my pc, the usages while on medium sits at around 30% on CPU and 50% on GPU, while in ultra it's 30%CPU and 70% GPU, while in low they are both around 20-30. Why is there not more usage, I just don't get it.
try buy better cooler for cpu and find good case with good airflow

Solution
Oct 16, 2020
So I have started playing some more Mordhau after the reinstall, basically the same thing is happening with the usage. The idle temps are very strange, while in game they are less than when idle which is just super weird. I'm getting more frames now which is good or at least the 144 cap isn't on there so I can tell how many frames I am getting. While in game my GPU got to a max of 69oc which is fine and the same with my CPU (it gets well past 70 in idle if I leave it for 15 mins). I think I am going to get a third party cooler soon because the temps aren't great and the stock one sounds like a jet turbine. Thanks for all the help!

So I have started playing some more Mordhau after the reinstall, basically the same thing is happening with the usage. The idle temps are very strange, while in game they are less than when idle which is just super weird. I'm getting more frames now which is good or at least the 144 cap isn't on there so I can tell how many frames I am getting. While in game my GPU got to a max of 69oc which is fine and the same with my CPU (it gets well past 70 in idle if I leave it for 15 mins). I think I am going to get a third party cooler soon because the temps aren't great and the stock one sounds like a jet turbine. Thanks for all the help!
The stock cooler isn't the greatest. You will see better temps with an aftermarket cooler.