Question CPU temps high even with new cooler?

peeyur

Prominent
Jul 27, 2021
So I've got a new cooler... Actually, I've got it a few months already. I overclocked my CPU to 4.4ghz on ccx 1 and 4.5ghz on ccx2 using 1.35 volts, which is nice and stable. I've read that my cooler should be more than enough, but my temps are rather high and when I use RealBench my CPU creeps up to 86c. I already remounted the cooler and checked if the thermal paste covered the whole CPU and cooler. I don't have the best case for airflow, but I don't think that's the problem, but I'm not an expert. Of course, when I'm gaming it's not so bad, but still...
So yeah, why are my temps still so high?

SPECS:
COOLER: Scythe Mugen 5
MB: Gigabyte b450 Aorus pro
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
CASE: Cooler Master Silencio 550 (Front panel, and HDD cages removed)

Have a great day!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Realbench uses AVX instructions at certain intervals, which some modern games don't use, but it'll only become more common as time goes on.
At the same frequencies, AVX is faster than the standard SSE instruction set, but has higher power demands.
In games, cpus generally don't use much power. Higher temperatures comes from open air gpus dumping their waste heat in the PC, which passes through the cpu cooler.

The other thing is that the Ryzen platform doesn't have the option of AVX offsets - that might change with the AM5 Ryzens - which users can take advantage of to keep temperatures in check during sudden AVX bursts.
A Ryzen 3600 also does not use much power at all.
The Mugen 5 has been shown to be a very good cooler, but lately, the price hasn't been great.

In other words, your overclock is a bit too aggressive.

peeyur

Prominent
Jul 27, 2021
Thank you for the answer!
You might be right about the aggressive OC, but I'd like to future proof my pc by essentially squeezing as much performance out of it as possible, because I don't want to upgrade anytime soon. I've already done that for my GPU, which seemed to be a success. And I've tried to OC my RAM, but that didn't work out. XMP is fine for now... But still, thank you for the answer!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@peeyur You should get better results out of the suggestions in the following post - they just require time on your end.
You have a Ryzen. Not an Intel. Disregarding the actual results being a functioning pc, there's really not much the same about those cpus. They work different, are different, think different, react different. So treating a Ryzen to a static OC like its an intel almost never works in anyone's favor. But that also includes you the user, clock speed for a Ryzen isn't the same, it's entirely possible to get better performance at better voltages and temps with lower clocks than with higher actual speeds. A high static OC can actually lower performance results vs a lower dynamic OC.

Try Clocktuner2. It was written by 1usmus with input from Linus, Buildzoid, and some World Class Amd overclockers. It's got some pretty easy directions and tutorials. Also can try Dram Calculator and fine tune your ram since Ryzens respond very well to faster ram operation. Just be warned that neither is plug n play, your cpu/ram is slightly different to others so where some would see a gain with specific settings, you may not. So both will require tweaking to your setup.

peeyur

Prominent
Jul 27, 2021
Thank you for your suggestion! I'll keep that in mind.
I'm still testing if my CPU OC is stable(it was not). So I'll lower the clock a bit.
But yesterday it was stable... at a lower voltage. So I'm rather confused, but I reckon I'd be able to figure that out.