[SOLVED] Cpu temps take a long time to go down after playing a game

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
I have a question.
If I'm in a game the CPU temps are between 65-75 (even in crusader kings 3) most of the time. But if I end the game, the CPU goes slowly to 40-50 , and idles at 40.
Is that normal? It takes a long time for the CPU temps to go down after playing a game.

Setup:
I7 10700k
Dark rock pro 4
Rtx 2070 super
32 GB ram
MSI z490 a pro
650 w corsair

Solution
Ok but I heard it's not enough to just type in -0.075 in the CPU core voltage offset. That you have to take other things in mind like dram voltage and CPU vccio voltage, and I have absolutely no clue about what to do there.
Just make the adjustments in the last picture of uWebb429's post. [cpu core/cache voltage, offset mode sign, and cpu core voltage offset]
Do not worry about dram voltage or VCCIO - you're going out of bounds.

Is there no tutorial for my motherboard?
No.
I have a question.
If I'm in a game the CPU temps are between 65-75 (even in crusader kings 3) most of the time. But if I end the game, the CPU goes slowly to 40-50 , and idles at 40.
Is that normal? It takes a long time for the CPU temps to go down after playing a game.

Setup:
I7 10700k
Dark rock pro 4
Rtx 2070 super
32 GB ram
MSI z490 a pro
650 w corsair
Your temp is more than safe, if you want to try improve it, try to use decent thermal paste like Gelid GC Extreme, apply using X method, and mount them propperly and tight. You must clean both the cpu IHS and the heatsink contact/base from the old thermal paste.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
So I just played ac Valhalla for like 30 mins. Its averaging at 70s degrees and the highest so far was 78. That cant be normal with a cooler like the dark rock pro 4 right? I remounted it, applied a fairly good amount of paste, and it's still the same.
I have 2 shadow wing 2 140mm fans at the front panel and 1 smaller one at the back. (Case bequiet pure base 600). The 2 front fans send the air through the cooler, out of the back . Dont know what to do anymore, core vids averaging at 1.275 with 1.314 max.
I have MCE disabled in the bios

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
@Phaaze88 I mean isnt 70-80 not too high for playing ac Valhalla with an ambient temp of 25.8?
And are the voltages not high with 1.277 averaging and being 1.314 the highest so far with 4,7 ghz? Did only disable mce in the bios, nothing more

@USAFRet about 5 mins

USAFRet

Titan
@Phaaze88 I mean isnt 70-80 not too high for playing ac Valhalla with an ambient temp of 25.8?
And are the voltages not high with 1.277 averaging and being 1.314 the highest so far with 4,7 ghz? Did only disable mce in the bios, nothing more

@USAFRet about 5 mins
70-80C is not unreasonable.

"5 mins" to come back to fully idle is not unreasonable.

I wouldn't go all crazy with different thermal paste. The differing pastes are not magic.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Ok just an update, so the highest temp of ac Valhalla after playing 1 hour was 82. With averaging 66. (Read with hwinfo64). There are also these spikes of my i7 10700k. So I guess the 82 was a spike, because normally I see around 70-75. What temperatures would be alarming?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
They're not that easy to damage. A few minutes isn't long enough to do anything. You want to damage it, then run Prime 95 and leave it sitting at 95C or more for an entire day or so.
Cinebench isn't a cooler thermal test - if AVX instructions pop up in game, temperatures will be higher than what you'd see in Cinebench. Prime95, small FFT, all 3 AVX options off will show you how high the cpu may get if AVX does appear.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
@phaaok but still why do I get such high temperatures with a dark rock pro 4, when I see others who have around 55-60 under load with the same cooler? Is the pure base 600 maybe not suitable as a case?

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
@USAFRet yeah but what would you suggest should I do?
Leave it at that and only take action when I hit 85 constantly?
Or add more fans to my case? I got 2 bigger ones at the front and one smaller one at the back. I could do 3 smaller ones Instead of 2 bigger ones at the front. And maximal 3 smaller ones, or 2 bigger ones on the top panel, where I have no fan atm because of the noise.
Or should I try to lower the voltages altough I have no clue about that.

Your temperatures are completely normal. Intel CPUs will automatically slow down when they get too hot to protect against any damage. You are nowhere near "too hot". Here is an Intel CPU that is just starting to thermal throttle. The CPU is only slowing down as little as possible to keep the CPU temperature from going over 100°C while fully loaded running Cinebench.

E2Fgum6.png

This did not damage my CPU. It continues to run great.

core vids
The VID voltage is not the same as the actual voltage going to your CPU. The VID voltage is not important. When using HWiNFO, look for what is reported for the Vcore voltage.

Ly3monG.png

Most Z490 motherboards set the CPU voltage a little on the high side when using default settings. If you use a negative offset voltage of about -75 mV to -100 mV, the CPU will still run reliably and it will run cooler. You can lower your CPU core temperatures by 10°C or 15°C by doing this.

Here is how to set a -75 mV negative offset voltage on an Asus board.

n2S74Db.png

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Take the detachable hood off the top of the chassis if it's there. That allows the DRP4 access to more air.

2)Do away with high performance power plan. Use balanced.

3)Adaptive mode, negative Vcore offset. Oh wait - uWebb429 beat me to it. Refer to their post.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
@uWebb429 ah ok yeah sorry I meant "VCore" that's what i always looking at in hwinfo64. And there I have 1.272 V average and 1.284 V maximum so far with Intel boost on but mce disabled (while playing AC valhalla). Core clocks are averaging on 4,7 ghz and the MAX was 4,9 Ghz (where I had 1.284 V) would you say those voltages are too high ?
And about that -75 mV offset, are you completly sure I can do that without damaging my CPU? Because I heard it could damage the CPU (undervolting). And a lot of people have black screens after doing it. I'm a total noob on PC things, so I dont want to do anything wrong.

@Phaaze88
1. Yeah already tried that, and applied a fan there even. But the noise was just too loud, and the temps didnt change really. But I will try it without a fan, altough I'm sure it will be too noisy then.

2.already have balanced in energy settings

3.yeah I'm just scared of that because I heard it can damage the cpu

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Ok but I heard it's not enough to just type in -0.075 in the CPU core voltage offset. That you have to take other things in mind like dram voltage and CPU vccio voltage, and I have absolutely no clue about what to do there. Is there no tutorial for my motherboard?