Question CPU Throttles after a couple minutes of uptime with normal temps

Aug 11, 2024
CPU throttles after a few minutes of game launch. Before the throttling, CPU performs phenomenal on both benches and in games. This happens after launching every game however seems to go away after many hours of uptime and also randomly for a couple minutes. (could be a red herring). Temps spike from 50-70C (Not sure what it was before the stuttering started happening) and I have the latest bios. My ram passed memtest86 as well. Had my system without change for a while before this started happening.

Specs:
I9 9900KF
32G DDR4
3070 Ti
B365M Pro4

Valorant Example can get much more extreme than this, fluctuating between 100 and 20 fps roughly
(Sorry for Echo)

Last edited:
@AquaPCs

Run ThrottleStop 9.6

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Open the Limit Reasons window. When your CPU is stuck at 800 MHz, does Limit Reasons show BD PROCHOT glowing red? If it does, try clearing the BD PROCHOT check box on the main screen of ThrottleStop.

Post screenshots of the FIVR and TPL windows if you need help. Use www.imgur.com to host screenshots.

Most B365 boards are not adequate for 9900KF processors. You might also see VR CURRENT or VR THERMAL throttling in Limit Reasons.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2024
Thank you for the reply!

After downloading ThrottleStop, the BD PROCHOT was blinking red when under stress. After clicking the box the throttling stopped! However PL 1 and EDP other are red still. It's probably also important to note I have a 600w power supply but correct me if I'm wrong that it's enough for my setup.

I'm by no means super knowledgeable when it comes to cpu's or cooling but doesn't this let this let the cpu heat up more than normal? Obviously it's not gonna fry my cpu but how much more am I stressing the cpu? Also do you recommend undervolting if I hover around 70C at stress? What do you mean by adequate for 9900KF processors? The manual says it supports it or do you mean I need to upgrade my motherboard to get the most out of my cpu?

What settings if any should I change?

Thanks again for the response!
@AquaPCs

Run ThrottleStop 9.6

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Open the Limit Reasons window. When your CPU is stuck at 800 MHz, does Limit Reasons show BD PROCHOT glowing red? If it does, try clearing the BD PROCHOT check box on the main screen of ThrottleStop.

Post screenshots of the FIVR and TPL windows if you need help. Use www.imgur.com to host screenshots.

Most B365 boards are not adequate for 9900KF processors. You might also see VR CURRENT or VR THERMAL throttling in Limit Reasons.