Question Is Wake-on-Wan a good feature of NAS?

hwcheung

Reputable
Jul 14, 2020
With WOW, I can keep NAS sleeping most of the time. Only when I need it, I will wake it up. After use, I will put it to sleep mode.

The hard drive do not need to work 24/7. A normal Seagate Barracuda may live longer than an Ironwolf.

Is it a good way to use a NAS? Any advice. Thanks.

kanewolf

Titan
With WOW, I can keep NAS sleeping most of the time. Only when I need it, I will wake it up. After use, I will put it to sleep mode.

The hard drive do not need to work 24/7. A normal Seagate Barracuda may live longer than an Ironwolf.

Are you talking about a homemade NAS or a commercial NAS? I would let a commercial NAS handle disk spin-down automatically. With my Synology, any access will automatically spin up the disks.

hwcheung

Reputable
Jul 14, 2020
Are you talking about a homemade NAS or a commercial NAS? I would let a commercial NAS handle disk spin-down automatically. With my Synology, any access will automatically spin up the disks.
I am talking homemade NAS like Synology.

Oh, a disk is not working if not accessed. So it will not help a drive to live longer by keeping it in sleep mode.

hwcheung

Reputable
Jul 14, 2020
Not an answer....

Will you be wanting to access this from outside your house LAN?
Drive sleep is a whole different thing.
I just confirmed that Synology has a feature called WOL that allow us to wake it up from shut down. Asustor has a feature called WOW that allow us to wake it up from sleep mode.

Either one is good. But WOW is better than WOL. Because I can access it when I am not at home.

USAFRet

Titan
I just confirmed that Synology has a feature called WOL that allow us to wake it up from shut down. Asustor has a feature called WOW that allow us to wake it up from sleep mode.

Either one is good. But WOW is better than WOL. Because I can access it when I am not at home.
And this is why I asked.

Accessing this from outside your internal LAN can be very very hazardous.

Anything exposed to the outside world gets access requests every day, all day long.

If you don't have a really good grasp on the security for this, your NAS and everything else in your LAN is subject to hacking.

Waking from sleep is a whole different thing, and trivially done.

hwcheung

Reputable
Jul 14, 2020
And this is why I asked.

Accessing this from outside your internal LAN can be very very hazardous.

Anything exposed to the outside world gets access requests every day, all day long.

If you don't have a really good grasp on the security for this, your NAS and everything else in your LAN is subject to hacking.

Waking from sleep is a whole different thing, and trivially done.
It is interesting Asustor provides us this WOW feature. It is so exciting. But it is not safe, per your advice.

hwcheung

Reputable
Jul 14, 2020
They might use that term to wake other devices on the LAN. Many people want to wake PCs but WOL only works on LAN. WOW might be a service to wake other devices.
Some YouTubes say a NAS can replace Google Drive. But, if NAS cannot be accessed outside home, how can it replace Google Drive?

Aug 9, 2024

Nas mini computer ,Intel Mini Nas12th Intel i12 N100 Micro PC, Mini Computers No RAM NO SSD for support 2*20T hard disk frams, Mini pocket computer, Easy to carry.
It is very safe without system and ram , you can do the Installation by yourself

it only cost me 199

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CQBYGRHG