Question CPU throttling, BIOS settings too hard, PC crashing T_T

Jun 22, 2024
Hi, people who are way smarter than me!
Apologies in advance for the long post.

Background
Recently my computer has been freezing and/or re-booting whenever I would play these two games: Apex Legends and VALORANT.

I decided to fully reformat the PC hoping this would fix the issue, but the PC would still crash and re-boot. It doesn't crash when doing normal things like browsing, streaming, etc. But as soon as I launch a resource intensive game like Apex or VALORANT, it crashes. Side note: I don't know if the BIOS settings were also erased to "default" when I reformatted my PC.

Troubleshooting
I updated the BIOS to the latest firmware, updated all drivers, updated GPU to the latest version using GeForce Experience, and even tried fiddling with some CPU settings and voltages in BIOS following online tutorials (e.g., JayzTwoCents). As of this writing, the PC is still crashing and I'm not sure what is going on. There are a lot of tutorials on what settings to use on MSI motherboard BIOS, but I can't seem to find any settings tutorials for the NZXT Z790 motherboard.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9-14900KF
GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4090
Memory: 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR5 6000 Mhz
Storage: 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD
Storage: 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD
Motherboard: Z790
Cooler: NZXT Kraken Elite 360 RGB
Power: 1000W Gold
Case: NZXT H9 Elite
Software: Windows 11 Home

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU)
Last troubleshooting step I took was to install Intel's XTU tool to monitor my PC realtime while playing Apex Legends and VALORANT. I was able to collect a log (included as an attachment). I noticed that while I was viewing the XTU dashboard, as soon as I was playing a game, the CPU temps jumped really high but the CPU utilization was really low. I expected that the CPU temperature would increase in correlation to the CPU usage.

LOG FROM XTU (Google Spreadsheet Link):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CuQcgdIpQljAj6h66M9Wh-_D4EW81JedKNhRmeW56do/edit?usp=sharing

I suspect this entire issue that I'm having is related to the 13th and 14th gen Intel CPU instability fiasco, but it's still weird to see XTU saying that my CPU is thermal throttling like crazy.

Please let me know if I can provide anymore clarifying information.

Thank you in advance for your support and partnership. I'm trying to get this fixed so that I can use this beast PC for gaming. Thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Got a link to the ram you're using?

Might want to see if removing two sticks of ram from the build allows you to regain stability when gaming.

Is secure Boot enabled in BIOS? BIOS version for your motherboard?

Jun 22, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Got a link to the ram you're using?

Might want to see if removing two sticks of ram from the build allows you to regain stability when gaming.

Is secure Boot enabled in BIOS? BIOS version for your motherboard?
Unfortunaately, this was a pre-build from NZXT so I don’t know what ram they used. I can find out when I get back home if there is a way.

The motherboard bios version is 9.01 from NZXT’s website. This is the latest version.

https://nzxt.com/product/n7-z790

And secure boot is enabled.

As for removing ram, I’m not entirely comfortable doing that because I don’t know how. But would it be necessary to when I don’t even use XMP or over clock any component?

Thanks!!

Unfortunaately, this was a pre-build from NZXT so I don’t know what ram they used. I can find out when I get back home if there is a way.

The motherboard bios version is 9.01 from NZXT’s website. This is the latest version.

https://nzxt.com/product/n7-z790

And secure boot is enabled.

As for removing ram, I’m not entirely comfortable doing that because I don’t know how. But would it be necessary to when I don’t even use XMP or over clock any component?

Thanks!!
Programs like CPU-Z and HWinfo can tell you all you need to now about RAM.

Reactions: 35below0

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
- Open command prompt (hit winkey, search for "cmd").
- Type in or paste this: "wmic memorychip get devicelocator, partnumber"
- Report the partnumber here. The exact model will be identified

It could be the 13/14 instability, but it could also be anti-cheat.

If you don't use XMP, then your RAM isn't running at 6000 MT/s
This is not a problem, but you paid for 6000 MT/s RAM so enabling XMP would be logical. It doesn't make a system unstable as long as the RAM is compatible with the motherboard, and you're trying to run the RAM at it's supported speed.

Jun 15, 2024
I think the problem is with your bios that NZXT have not release new bios for 13 14 gen i9 stability issue.in the past i9 raptor lake 13th gen and 14th gen have many stability and error issue that cause by microcode.so now on intel already released new microcode to fix the problem and many of the motherboard brand already implement it like gigabyte,asus,ect.i dont know if NZXT maybe not implement yet?

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
I think the problem is with your bios that NZXT have not release new bios for 13 14 gen i9 stability issue.in the past i9 raptor lake 13th gen and 14th gen have many stability and error issue that cause by microcode.so now on intel already released new microcode to fix the problem and many of the motherboard brand already implement it like gigabyte,asus,ect.i dont know if NZXT maybe not implement yet?
Gigabyte haven't offered it on all their motherboards either. I doubt this is the problem.

Jun 22, 2024
- Open command prompt (hit winkey, search for "cmd").
- Type in or paste this: "wmic memorychip get devicelocator, partnumber"
- Report the partnumber here. The exact model will be identified

It could be the 13/14 instability, but it could also be anti-cheat.

If you don't use XMP, then your RAM isn't running at 6000 MT/s
This is not a problem, but you paid for 6000 MT/s RAM so enabling XMP would be logical. It doesn't make a system unstable as long as the RAM is compatible with the motherboard, and you're trying to run the RAM at it's supported speed.
This is what was presented after following your instructions:
DeviceLocator PartNumber
Controller0-ChannelA-DIMM0 UD5-6000
Controller0-ChannelA-DIMM1 UD5-6000
Controller1-ChannelA-DIMM0 UD5-6000
Controller1-ChannelA-DIMM1 UD5-6000

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
UD5-6000 ... that's more vague than i expected. Not your fault.

Is this your RAM?

If it is, one possible explanation is that 2 kits have been installed. One kit is 2x16Gb and it's tested and verified as a 2x16Gb kit. This also means it does not expect to work alongside another kit, even an identical one.
Sometimes this works without problems, sometimes it causes problems. Sometimes it even causes a PC to fail to boot.

Using a 4x16 kit is recommended. Using two 2x16 kits side by side is a mistake.
Memory vendors test each kit and verify that it works but they cannot verify it will work if mixed with other kits.

Use CPU-Z or HWinfo and provide more information please. So we know for sure.

Jun 22, 2024

Is this your RAM?

If it is, one possible explanation is that 2 kits have been installed. One kit is 2x16Gb and it's tested and verified as a 2x16Gb kit. This also means it does not expect to work alongside another kit, even an identical one.
Sometimes this works without problems, sometimes it causes problems. Sometimes it even causes a PC to fail to boot.

Memory vendors test each kit and verify that it works but they cannot verify it will work if mixed with other kits.

Ah, upon further inspection, it is definitely the T-Force Delta. Looks exactly like the link you provided.

I'll download CPU-Z and HWinfo and gather the information.

Thank you for your continued help!

Jun 22, 2024

Is this your RAM?

I downloaded CPU-Z and pasted the log from "Save Report as .TXT."
https://pastebin.com/LjNM1K8X

And here are the screenshots of the CPU-Z tabs (CPU, MOBO, Memory, SPD, Graphics, Bench).
View: https://imgur.com/a/U64JcxM

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
I think gigabyte already implemented like the one i have z790 gaming x ax.my bios is F9
Well, they're a little bit inconsistent across their products. For example i have a z790 board, the UD. The latest BIOS offered by Control Center is F10, which i am on, but there are two further non-beta updates. The F11 and F12c? Or F12h or something.
The F12 something is the one that implements the new power profiles, but Gigabyte does not push it to all users. Granted, i have a 13600K so that may be the reason. The new BIOS' are unneccessary.

But also, Intel has not yet finalized a fix, so there will be a further BIOS update.

*yes, i can update manually but i don't want to do that.

I downloaded CPU-Z and pasted the log from "Save Report as .TXT."
https://pastebin.com/LjNM1K8X

And here are the screenshots of the CPU-Z tabs (CPU, MOBO, Memory, SPD, Graphics, Bench).
View: https://imgur.com/a/U64JcxM
Well, well. According to the 3rd picture, your system has two non-identical kits installed. One is running at 6000 MT/s in slots #1 and #3, and the other is set to 5600 MT/s, running in slots #2 and #4.

Reboot to UEFI/BIOS, and try to set both kits to the same setting. Try 6000 MT/s or 6000 Mhz or 3000 Mhz first. If that doesn't help, try both at 5600 or 2800. I don't know whether BIOS will report speed in MT/s or Mhz, but 6000 and 3000 are the same thing, and ditto 5600 and 2800.

If that still doesn't work, try disabling EXPO. This should restore sanity but you will lose high speed.
In this case you should sell the existing kits and purchase a new one. Either a 2x32 or a 4x16 kit, but definetly not two 2x16 kits!

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2024
Well, well. According to the 3rd picture, your system has two non-identical kits installed. One is running at 6000 MT/s in slots #1 and #3, and the other is set to 5600 MT/s, running in slots #2 and #4.
Might be a novice question, but is there a reason that Kit #1 has a mix of XMP/EXPO and ditto for Kit #2? Given that my CPU is Intel, I thought that all the sticks would be XMP.
Reboot to UEFI/BIOS, and try to set both kits to the same setting. Try 6000 MT/s or 6000 Mhz or 3000 Mhz first. If that doesn't help, try both at 5600 or 2800. I don't know whether BIOS will report speed in MT/s or Mhz, but 6000 and 3000 are the same thing, and ditto 5600 and 2800.
I'll definitely give this a try when I get home tonight. Just to make sure I got it right, you want me to go into BIOS and make all 4 sticks to be 3000Mhz?

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Might be a novice question, but is there a reason that Kit #1 has a mix of XMP/EXPO and ditto for Kit #2? Given that my CPU is Intel, I thought that all the sticks would be XMP.
That would be because i've misread the table. That was all info about one stick, the one that is in slot #1.
It supports XMP and EXPO profiles. You are correct that you should be using XMP.

Disregard my previous post, i was definetly mistaken.
I have looked at the pastebin you provided, and your kit is a 4x16 Gb kit.

You should still check BIOS and see what the XMP or EXPO profile is set to. Ideal setting for your RAM is 6000 MT/s, which is 3000 Mhz.
Setting XMP to Auto is probably enough though. But i expect it is already set to Auto. So i'm affraid we're back to square one as far as your issue is concerned.

But i have a new question. Are there any other games or applications that cause your CPU to shoot up in temperature immediately?

Jun 22, 2024
But i have a new question. Are there any other games or applications that cause your CPU to shoot up in temperature immediately?
For the past few days, I noticed that my computer would crash and reboot whenever I left my computer idle over night. Normally, my computer would turn off the display after 5min and go to sleep after 15m.

But when I return, I would have to log back in and my programs would say that the computer shut down and would like to run in safe mode.

The only thing I can think of that is causing this would be my attempt at undervolting in the BIOS. I had set the CPU core voltage offset to -100mV. After I reverted back to the default setting (auto), my computer stopped crashing when it went to sleep.

I only have two games installed on my PC: Apex and VALORANT.

When I had XTU open, I would see thermal throttling on both games, but my PC would only crash consistently with Apex. Before, I swear that I saw my CPU utilization stay low while the core temp skyrocketed during a benchmark, but yesterday, I ran XTU benchmark and the CPU utilization and temp went up to near 100 together. When the benchmark was done, the utilization was back to 0-1% and the temp was around 35-45C.

Here are some screenshots of my current BIOS settings:
View: https://imgur.com/a/c9BxPjX

Hi, people who are way smarter than me!
Apologies in advance for the long post.

Background
Recently my computer has been freezing and/or re-booting whenever I would play these two games: Apex Legends and VALORANT.

I decided to fully reformat the PC hoping this would fix the issue, but the PC would still crash and re-boot. It doesn't crash when doing normal things like browsing, streaming, etc. But as soon as I launch a resource intensive game like Apex or VALORANT, it crashes. Side note: I don't know if the BIOS settings were also erased to "default" when I reformatted my PC.

Troubleshooting
I updated the BIOS to the latest firmware, updated all drivers, updated GPU to the latest version using GeForce Experience, and even tried fiddling with some CPU settings and voltages in BIOS following online tutorials (e.g., JayzTwoCents). As of this writing, the PC is still crashing and I'm not sure what is going on. There are a lot of tutorials on what settings to use on MSI motherboard BIOS, but I can't seem to find any settings tutorials for the NZXT Z790 motherboard.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9-14900KF
GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4090
Storage: 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD
Storage: 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD
Motherboard: Z790
Cooler: NZXT Kraken Elite 360 RGB
Power: 1000W Gold
Case: NZXT H9 Elite
Software: Windows 11 Home

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU)
Last troubleshooting step I took was to install Intel's XTU tool to monitor my PC realtime while playing Apex Legends and VALORANT. I was able to collect a log (included as an attachment). I noticed that while I was viewing the XTU dashboard, as soon as I was playing a game, the CPU temps jumped really high but the CPU utilization was really low. I expected that the CPU temperature would increase in correlation to the CPU usage.

LOG FROM XTU (Google Spreadsheet Link):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CuQcgdIpQljAj6h66M9Wh-_D4EW81JedKNhRmeW56do/edit?usp=sharing

I suspect this entire issue that I'm having is related to the 13th and 14th gen Intel CPU instability fiasco, but it's still weird to see XTU saying that my CPU is thermal throttling like crazy.

Please let me know if I can provide anymore clarifying information.

Thank you in advance for your support and partnership. I'm trying to get this fixed so that I can use this beast PC for gaming. Thanks!

before you start ripping apart the pc the issue may be a 4000 series gpu issue not agreeing with windows 11 gpu accelerated crap this is on by default ( this fixed fornite and hogwarts legacy for me and yes it crashed and rebooted my pc this may fix your issue as well.

go to the following type display settings in windows search bar go into graphics/ change default graphic settings/ turn off hardware accelerated gpu scheduling.

then try to play said game.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
before you start ripping apart the pc the issue may be a 4000 series gpu issue not agreeing with windows 11 gpu accelerated crap this is on by default ( this fixed fornite and hogwarts legacy for me and yes it crashed and rebooted my pc this may fix your issue as well.

go to the following type display settings in windows search bar go into graphics/ change default graphic settings/ turn off hardware accelerated gpu scheduling.

then try to play said game.
Is this it?
View: https://i.imgur.com/5uRx35G.png

I'll have to try this when I get home!

other thing you can buy as well to help temps is this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermalrig...3&sprefix=lga+1700+bracket,aps,95&sr=8-4&th=1

its a anti bending bracket this stops intels crappy 1700 cpus from bending like a banana when they get 2 hot.

( yes it avoids intels warrenty so they claim but it has solved)

unresponsive ram and bad contact with cpu coolers. it replaces the retention arm that intel hasnt replaced in years.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTGsHmxX1HI

Jun 22, 2024
Found the "Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling" option in Windows 11 and I have turned it off. It did require me to restart my PC to put it into effect. I'll update here if it works after running some games.