Question CPU underclocking

Ian_64

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
so my problems seem to have started back when my PC bluescreened (apparently because of overheating)

I later checked to see that it was reaching temps of 90 just idling on desktop (with wallpaper engine running) This shouldn't be happening obviously especially since my cooling solution still works as it should do.
I've reinstalled windows and reset bios settings to asus's "optimised default" and the CPU remains a lot cooler. The only problem is, it stays cool because it's clocked to under 1GHz while idle.

of course it's doing much but it still means my PC is slow when doing anything like opening browser windows and files etc. It seems to perform well on FarCry 4 in game but frames absolutely plummet when I open the map or crafting menu etc.
It doesn't seem to be overheating anymore though it does reach up to about 70.

I've tried enabling XMP and it hasn't solved anything.

The clock speed seems to start high for a while after boot and then just drops after a minute or so unless I put it under a continuous load, like a game.

At first I thought it was because I had used the asus smart overclock wizard but nothing seems to have changed after reverting back.

I have an i7 6700k and a ASUS maximus VIII hero board.

here is a quick overlook of task manager and afterburner

View: https://imgur.com/a/keolg3M

" This shouldn't be happening obviously especially since my cooling solution still works as it should do "

It's obviously not working as it should be.

Overheating will throttle the CPU like it is doing right now. it has to do that or it will burn itself.

Remove the CPU cooler. Remove the thermal paste and reapply new one and remount the CPU cooler. Should fix the issue.

Unless you're using a AIO cooler which could be a faulty pump etc.

Ian_64

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
" This shouldn't be happening obviously especially since my cooling solution still works as it should do "

It's obviously not working as it should be.

Overheating will throttle the CPU like it is doing right now. it has to do that or it will burn itself.

Remove the CPU cooler. Remove the thermal paste and reapply new one and remount the CPU cooler. Should fix the issue.

Unless you're using a AIO cooler which could be a faulty pump etc.

I've stress tested it by playing far cry 4 for several hours and it doesn't reach high enough temperatures for it to throttle anymore. It shouldn't be throttling at idle either since it is around 20-30. It's not an overheating problem. I have a custom loop water cooler and the GPU isn't overheating either.

Ian_64

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
Hi Ian :)

I detect your lack of confidence when Overclocking.
The i7 6700k and a ASUS maximus VIII hero is very responsive and a very capable Bios.

You should learn your Bios if you wish to Overclock and here is a vid for you to follow which is very good for the beginner.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZe26lv7lJ4

Your MAX Overclock will depend on the chip you have and your cooling system.

I'm not trying to overclock I just want my CPU to go back to normal haha. I want it to run at full clock speed so that my PC runs faster in general use. I'm sure there's some setting that affects this but I can't remember if it's a windows thing or a bios setting.