Question CPU upgrade, Entire Rig Broken

Feb 16, 2024
Long story short, I wanted to upgrade my CPU. I went from an i5-10600KF to an i9-11900KF.

I upgraded to the 10600 a couple of years ago, alongside my current motherboard (ASUS B560-PRIME), and had no problems. By all means, things went exactly as I would expect, except that when I reinstalled everything and started it up, I got nothing but a black screen and max RPM fans.

I did hours of googling and tried everything I found, to no avail.

I am on the most current iteration of BIOS (2001)
I have tried re-installing the old CPU, and had the same problem
I double-triple checked that neither of the CPUs nor the motherboard pins had any damage.
I replaced the motherboard battery
I have checked every single connection and there is nothing lose or damaged

Randomly, I decided to reinstall the new CPU and boot er up. To my shock and awe, it worked, although not as well as I'd hoped. It seems that my entire systems stutters. When I watch youtube I can hear glitching and see the video pause slightly every few seconds. Perhaps more frustrating is that my mouse randomly freezes momentarily every few seconds as well. I tried reinstalling Razer's software, chaning USB ports, etc.

I'm at a complete loss. Every thread I've seen covers a slightly different version of this issue, I don't have a crash while gaming, but any time I have a restart, such as when I tried updating my graphics drivers, the same black screen coplimented by whirring fans. I have tried waiting to see if something will happen, but I get annoyed after 10 or so minutes of the fans on max speed and no progress. My mouse and keyboard are non-functional as well. The only option I have found is to hold the power for a few seconds to force shut down and power it back up after a few seconds.

Despite making to through and signing into windows, I can tell my computer is not functioning normally. I'm waiting on a recovery drive being processed from my laptop. I'm planning on resetting windows from the drive once it's finished (although I am not hopeful)

Current specs are as follows, if relevant
CPU: i9-10900KF
GPU: 2060 Super
RAM: (2) 16GB Mushkin Redline Lumina
PSU: Thermaltake 600W 80+

Feb 16, 2024
What are your temps like on the new CPU, while this problem occurs? Is the CPU usage being maxed out or is it on the lows?

I'd also like to know how old your PSU is and what exact model.
PSU is rather old, about 7 years, I've ordered a new one to facilitate a new GPU I'll install if I can figure this out. As for the exact model I can give you a part number, but it came with the original pre-built I got about 7 years ago, the description included is about as much as I know.

I couldn't tell you what temps are like while black-screened as there is no real way to measure unless I take the cooler off and hit it with an infrared thermometer or something. I would hope its low with the fans on max speed, but things are warm when I get my hands in there prodding around.

zinkles

Commendable
Aug 24, 2022
PSU is rather old, about 7 years, I've ordered a new one to facilitate a new GPU I'll install if I can figure this out. As for the exact model I can give you a part number, but it came with the original pre-built I got about 7 years ago, the description included is about as much as I know
I couldn't tell you what temps are like while black-screened as there is no real way to measure unless I take the cooler off and hit it with an infrared thermometer or something. I would hope its low with the fans on max speed, but things are warm when I get my hands in there prodding around.
when not black screening could you check the temps while it's idle? it doesn't matter if it's when the black screen occurs, I need some sort of temperature reading along with info about what you were doing in the background.

Feb 16, 2024
when not black screening could you check the temps while it's idle? it doesn't matter if it's when the black screen occurs, I need some sort of temperature reading along with info about what you were doing in the background.
When I make it to windows, temps are perfectly normal. Even when I did a benchmark they didn’t go above 80 C. I haven’t done anything besides trying to update drivers and problem solve because I can tell something isn’t right.

I don’t randomly crash to the black screen, originally I couldn’t get past bios. I’m not sure what changed but now it’s whenever I shut the computer down for any reason