[SOLVED] Cpu upgrade nightmare

Apr 23, 2021
Hey guys i just upgraded my ryzen 5 3600 to a 7 5800x
I installed 4 sticks of ram
And put a after market cooler.
After i booted the pc it only brings me to bios thats it. Nothing else whatsoever i nees help plleeaassee

Solution
At this point im not worried about the files im more worried about the pc working proper. I can redownload everything and do what i got to do i guess. I really just downloaded games I signed into emails, got discord,, should i just start fresh?
EDIT add: ok, and by they way, a SATA drive needs TWO cables: the SATA data cable attached to a SATA port on the motherboard and SATA power from a cable that's attached to the PSU. You may have forgotten that from when you took the system apart to put in the new CPU and memory. Make sure both are firmly inserted at both ends (the power cable may or may not have a connector at the PSU end).

Assuming you also enabled cloud game-saves then the only thing you really need is all your...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hey thanks for the reply,, and everything was looked at several times,, but I'm not sure if I installed the sata drive back into the same port i had it before

Try remember and different ports. Were there multiple drives reconnected? If Windows was installed while multiple drives were connected it's possible Windows put files it needs to boot on those other drives. All drives need go back to the same ports.

Apr 23, 2021
If you're getting into BIOS then it sounds like BIOS got updated to support a Zen 3 CPU.

Did you also reset CMOS?

But what are your system specs otherwise? motherboard, memory, drives especially but also what BIOS rev is it on right now.
I did not reset cmos,, should i? Can it damage my MOBO..
And i have a mpgx570 gaming plus MOBO
I have a samsung Evo 1tb
And i just installed 4 new ram sticks
4 8 gig sticks 3200
Idk how to look up drives
And the bios version is E7C37AMS.AD2

Apr 23, 2021
Try remember and different ports. Were there multiple drives reconnected? If Windows was installed while multiple drives were connected it's possible Windows put files it needs to boot on those other drives. All drives need go back to the same ports.
There is just one drive my sata and Im.going to use other port now

Apr 23, 2021
Yes, you absolutely have to reset CMOS. It can not damage your motherboard.

And BTW, 4 sticks are finicky to overclock so don't expect your RAM to overclock to full XMP speed. Start off slow.
I never overclocked my pc. I was just hoping more ram can make things run smoother,, im going to reset cmos and change the port my sata is in. Brb

Im new to this i built my first pc and watched youtube to get the os installed amd get me running,, i updates my cpu snd now it just goes to bios im frustrated and defeated
OK...wait...did you just update CPU and memory in the same motherboard? or have you removed the drive from an old system and moved it to a new system (CPU, memory, system) you've just built?

You may have to do a clean install of Windows if motherboard and drive aren't the same as previously. CPU and memory may not matter.

Apr 23, 2021
OK...wait...did you just update CPU and memory in the same motherboard? or have you removed the drive from an old system and moved it to a new system (CPU, memory, system) you've just built?

You may have to do a clean install of Windows if motherboard and drive aren't the same as previously. CPU and memory may not matter.
I removed the ryzen 5 3600 and added the ryzen 7 5800x and added the noctua colling system i stead of old ryzen cooler. Then i removed old ram 16g and added 4 new sticks each 8gig 3200

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Apr 23, 2021

I removed the battery pn the mobo to do the cmos reset and nothing diff happened.
I have the same sata drive i had on my old sustem now my question is is that drive compatible with the ryzen 7 5800x

Apr 23, 2021
How can you be seeing BIOS if you don't have a GPU installed?

Keep moving the drive to different SATA ports.

Ultimately, you may have to do a clean install of Windows. Hopefully you've made backups of your files.
I have not everything i have is in the sata drive.
And I habe GPU installed im literally just grasping at fumes
And if i do have to do a fresh install what happens to all my information on my drive?

And if i do have to do a fresh install what happens to all my information on my drive?
It would be lost. Do you have access to another computer you could install that drive to? With admin account you could access the files on it and save them off. You will need to be familiar with the folder structure of a Windows system to be able to navigate to them.

Another option is to revert your system to the way it was previously (same CPU, same memory, etc) and make backups. It may not work since I can't be sure why it's not accessing the system partition and booting.

Did you have anything like bitlocker running? or set up Windows security with a TPM / PSP? THOSE things are designed to prevent 'stealing' a hard drive and accessing information on it. That would also mean you couldn't do the first option above.

A bit late to give advice: but before making any big change like this, always make backups. You never know what can happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: boju
Apr 23, 2021
It would be lost. Do you have access to another computer you could install that drive to? With admin account you could access the files on it and save them off. You will need to be familiar with the folder structure of a Windows system to be able to navigate to them.

Another option is to revert your system to the way it was previously (same CPU, same memory, etc) and make backups. It may not work since I can't be sure why it's not accessing the system partition and booting.

Did you have anything like bitlocker running? or set up Windows security with a TPM / PSP? THOSE things are designed to prevent 'stealing' a hard drive and accessing information on it. That would also mean you couldn't do the first option above.

A bit late to give advice: but before making any big change like this, always make backups. You never know what can happen.
At this point im not worried about the files im more worried about the pc working proper. I can redownload everything and do what i got to do i guess. I really just downloaded games I signed into emails, got discord,, should i just start fresh?

EDIT add: ok, and by they way, a SATA drive needs TWO cables: the SATA data cable attached to a SATA port on the motherboard and SATA power from a cable that's attached to the PSU. You may have forgotten that from when you took the system apart to put in the new CPU and memory. Make sure both are firmly inserted at both ends (the power cable may or may not have a connector at the PSU end).

Assuming you also enabled cloud game-saves then the only thing you really need is all your passwords. So if you're truly not worried about saving anything else a fresh start is a great way to go with such a major change any way. All you need is a USB flash drive with an installable Windows 10 package. You can download the Media Creation tool and make that pretty easy, and get the latest updates at the same time, but you'll need another computer to do it on.

Don't use the CD you got your Windows on to do the install because it's going to be an older version an it will take literally HOURS to get all the updates downloaded and installed. You can use the license key that came with it though as the motherboard is the same.

Once you've got the USB flash drive set up just plug it in to one of the ports on the I/O panel. Just so everything is truly in default settings in BIOS I'd suggest doing a CMOS reset again. In default settings the UEFI BIOS will boot up the installation media on the USB stick which will in turn find the SSD to install to.

Last edited:
Solution