CPU upgrade - Optiplex GX100

I have an Optiplex GX100 w/ 466 MHz Celeron processor and A10 BIOS.
The Dell System Profiler says that I can go up to an 800 MHz CPU. I
bought a used 800 processor that was pulled from a working system and
installed it.

When I powered on, nothing happened. The YELLOW light on the on/off
buttom was illuminated; the light on the CD came on; there was NO HDD
activity; and the screen was black.

Are there any settings or switches that need to be set? OR, is there
something else I need to do? I thought this would be a plug-and-play
installation.

TIA Chuck

http://support.intel.com/support/processors/celeron/sb/CS-007437.htm
http://support.intel.com/support/processors/celeron/
These Intel sites seem to say that a 466 Celeron is different from the
higher speed ones and won't work without an adapter.

"Chuck Jurgens" <jurgens@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I have an Optiplex GX100 w/ 466 MHz Celeron processor and A10 BIOS.
> The Dell System Profiler says that I can go up to an 800 MHz CPU. I
> bought a used 800 processor that was pulled from a working system and
> installed it.
>
> When I powered on, nothing happened. The YELLOW light on the on/off
> buttom was illuminated; the light on the CD came on; there was NO HDD
> activity; and the screen was black.
>
> Are there any settings or switches that need to be set? OR, is there
> something else I need to do? I thought this would be a plug-and-play
> installation.
>
> TIA Chuck

hi,
go to http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/opgx100
download a manual and check to see if you need to set any jumpers on
the motherboard .
hope this helps,
terry