hasanu88

Reputable
Sep 15, 2018
Processor : amd fx 6300
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P
Graphics card: nvidia 1060,6gb
Cooling fan aftermarket: deep cool Frostwin 2.0 dual fan cooler

Ram: total 16 gb-ram [2 x Corsair Vengeance 8GB (CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10)DDR3 Memory Kit Desktop Ram]

Psu is antec vp 650.
I have connected this to my 55 inch samsung tv q60r 120hz 4k display

I am planning for a cpu upgrade . As well as ram upgrade . Without overheating how to safely and significantly upgrade my cpu and ram. Which one should i select to upgrade. Pls help. Thanks in advance

Solution
Any meaningful cpu upgrade will require a new motherboard (different cpu socket) and new RAM (DDR4 instead of DDR5). With a motherboard change you should plan to reinstall Windows, just make sure important files are backed up ready for you to wipe the drive clean and install Windows.

What are you using the pc for, what do you want it to do better? What is the budget for an upgrade?
Any meaningful cpu upgrade will require a new motherboard (different cpu socket) and new RAM (DDR4 instead of DDR5). With a motherboard change you should plan to reinstall Windows, just make sure important files are backed up ready for you to wipe the drive clean and install Windows.

What are you using the pc for, what do you want it to do better? What is the budget for an upgrade?

Last edited:
Solution

haseeb98ahm

Honorable
Jan 30, 2018
I agree with Vyrvelata but If you are on a budget or just want to squeeze last bit from this system you can try upgrading the CPU. And SSD if you still using a HDD.
here's a link to your motherboard specs. You just need to make sure It's AM3 socket CPU and supported by the chipset.

Chipset
  1. North Bridge: AMD 970
  2. South Bridge: AMD SB950

Fx 6300 is equivalent of a 3 core 6 thread processor. You can upgrade to what is essentially 4 core 8 thread processor. Here a list of CPU you can upgrade to, don't go over 125w TDP(W). Sorted by price and performance fx 8320, fx 8350, fx 8570 are a good choices. They are going for quite a lot on secondhand market so I wouldn't recommend it. If you can get one of these for $30-$40 then maybe go for it.

Reactions: hasanu88
I agree with Vyrvelata but If you are on a budget or just want to squeeze last bit from this system you can try upgrading the CPU. And SSD if you still using a HDD.
here's a link to your motherboard specs. You just need to make sure It's AM3 socket CPU and supported by the chipset.

Fx 6300 is equivalent of a 3 core 6 thread processor. You can upgrade to what is essentially 4 core 8 thread processor. Here a list of CPU you can upgrade to, don't go over 125w TDP(W). Sorted by price and performance fx 8320, fx 8350, fx 8570 are a good choices. They are going for quite a lot on secondhand market so I wouldn't recommend it. If you can get one of these for $30-$40 then maybe go for it.

The problem with upgrading the CPU with another second hand CPU is that... the motherboard itself is really bad... so it might work worse with another CPU... like throttling due to overheating VRM...or even blowing one... and it's the infinity cycle, always changing second hand parts which are barely alive and even maybe not working due to bad person sending them as working!
Also 970 chipset is plagued with problems and weaknesses .... and with more powerful cpu (assuming everything else is still working) that old he wont see that much difference in today's programs and games!
The risk/money is not worth it for 10-15% performance ... coz everything might end up failing or performing even worse!

Reactions: hasanu88

hasanu88

Reputable
Sep 15, 2018

Thanks . This was really helpful.