Question CPU usage spike when clicking anywhere that you can input text.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 2021
Normally my cpu goes between 3199MHz - 3574MHz (31c-38c temp)
But when I click anywhere that I can input text, it can be in google search engine, the box where you can input a URL in browser, facebook chat or discord. It jumps to 4199MHz and a temp of 48-60c
This only happens when i click anywhere and that line starts blinking and you can start to write something, not when I open the browser, watch youtube or game.
I played Metro 2033 redux, not a very demanding game but still it should be more demanding than writing a text anywhere.
When I play Metro 2033 for example I never go above 40c on my Ryzen 5 3600 but when writing I spike.
Maybe i should add that the spike in CPU usage only occurs 3-4 sec when I click where you can write.
What I want to know is if someone knows what causes this? and maybe go from there to how to fix this. I can't see what process in task manager that jumps.

I'm so sorry for my bad english.
Please do ask for more information if required and/or if I need to clarify anything that I've said in this post.

Mar 28, 2021
No, i stated that it was the same on discord. It is a fresh install of windows 10, so I'm 90% sure that it is not malware. I've also tried 3 different browsers, but alas it does the same thing on every browser and anywhere else where you can input text, steam, discord, skype.

Mar 28, 2021
Not saying you're lying. I'm saying that 40C is not gaming temperature. That's IDLE temperature with the stock cooler. In a game you should see 65C+ easily.
I have a dark rock pro 4
and that is the temps I get for the specific game.
Sea of thieves, dark souls 3 I jump up to a steady 40-45c

I just used metro 2033 redux to explain that it is weird how clicking anywhere with a text input can demand more from the CPU than a game :)

I have a dark rock pro 4
and that is the temps I get for the specific game.
Sea of thieves, dark souls 3 I jump up to a steady 40-45c

I just used metro 2033 redux to explain that it is weird how clicking anywhere with a text input can demand more from the CPU than a game :)

That's the thing. Your CPU cannot have 45C in games. That is impossible even with a Dark Rock Pro 4 unless it's literally 0C in your room right now or you're playing minesweeper.

In Metro 2033 with a Dark Rock Pro 4 and your CPU you should see around 65C. Not 45C. That is 20C below what you should have right now. Meaning something is really wrong.

What Power Plan are you using in Windows 10? IS the CPU minimal state at 5% and maximum at 100%? Should be idling at 800MHz low voltage around 35C. Spiking to 60C easily when you do anything from idling. Normal behavior for a Ryzen CPU. In games 45C is IMPOSSIBLE unless you're having Winter temp in the room or the CPU is misbehaving for some reason.

Did you install the chipset drivers?

What you're describing is just Ryzen CPU spikes. Where it's not normal is the Load Temperature at 45C that doesn't make any sense. You can't have a 40C idle temp and 45C gaming temp. Gaming temp should be a bit more than the spikes temperature your seeing. 60C spikes? Gaming at around 65C. And that is with a good air cooler like yours.

No, i stated that it was the same on discord. It is a fresh install of windows 10, so I'm 90% sure that it is not malware. I've also tried 3 different browsers, but alas it does the same thing on every browser and anywhere else where you can input text, steam, discord, skype.
Then it's probably malware. You can confirm it by booting a linux live cd/usb and then seeing if you have spikes there.

Mar 28, 2021
I'm taking this down since my point is not coming across.
I've made a custom powerplan with 5% min state and 99% max, which fixes the random spikes.
I get a steady 60fps which I have every game locked to since I don't need more fps than that, which results in these temps that I have and it is possible since I have those temps right now, I've had similar temps with my other ryzen CPU's and I play games that aren't very graphic intensive.
All I wanted to know is why my cpu spikes when clicking anywhere with text input, since that spikes my CPU way higher than anything else does.
But alas, I'll take this down. Thanks tho, have a nice day.

Mar 28, 2021
That's the thing. Your CPU cannot have 45C in games. That is impossible even with a Dark Rock Pro 4 unless it's literally 0C in your room right now or you're playing minesweeper.

In Metro 2033 with a Dark Rock Pro 4 and your CPU you should see around 65C. Not 45C. That is 20C below what you should have right now. Meaning something is really wrong.

What Power Plan are you using in Windows 10? IS the CPU minimal state at 5% and maximum at 100%? Should be idling at 800MHz low voltage around 35C. Spiking to 60C easily when you do anything from idling. Normal behavior for a Ryzen CPU. In games 45C is IMPOSSIBLE unless you're having Winter temp in the room or the CPU is misbehaving for some reason.

Did you install the chipset drivers?

What you're describing is just Ryzen CPU spikes. Where it's not normal is the Load Temperature at 45C that doesn't make any sense. You can't have a 40C idle temp and 45C gaming temp. Gaming temp should be a bit more than the spikes temperature your seeing. 60C spikes? Gaming at around 65C. And that is with a good air cooler like yours.
And quick before I take it down, never said 40 was my idle. I said i don't get over 40 in metro game.
I run a 31-32c idle without doing anything

And quick before I take it down, never said 40 was my idle. I said i don't get over 40 in metro game.
I run a 31-32c idle without doing anything

Exactly. 31-32C Idling and 40C in a game like Metro doesn't make any sense.

Here with the same Air Cooler and a 3900X and a room temperature of around 16C the CPU is Idling at 34C close to you and my CPU spikes to 60C like you by just opening a new Chrome tab for an example BUT my CPU goes to 65C in games. That 40C is not possible. That's what I'm trying to tell you.

What you're describing is not normal behavior for your CPU and your cooling solution. Doesn't make sense at all really.

The spikes temperature is not what isn't normal here.

Mar 28, 2021
Exactly. 31-32C Idling and 40C in a game like Metro doesn't make any sense.

Here with the same Air Cooler and a 3900X and a room temperature of around 16C the CPU is Idling at 34C close to you and my CPU spikes to 60C like you by just opening a new Chrome tab for an example BUT my CPU goes to 65C in games. That 40C is not possible. That's what I'm trying to tell you.

What you're describing is not normal behavior for your CPU and your cooling solution. Doesn't make sense at all really.
But it is tho. Since I've in a more technical way to say it I've downclocked my cpu. More people have done the same and put the max state in powerplan to 99% which makes the cpu not really boost clocks unless really required, which yes take away some performance but not enough for me to notice it since I game on 60fps either way.
Just because you don't see these temps does not mean it's not possible.
I've had similar temps with other cpu's and motherboards, since I take down the performance of the cpu to the lowest I can get and still get steady 60fps so that I get low temps.

But it is tho. Since I've in a more technical way to say it I've downclocked my cpu. More people have done the same and put the max state in powerplan to 99% which makes the cpu not really boost clocks unless really required, which yes take away some performance but not enough for me to notice it since I game on 60fps either way.
Just because you don't see these temps does not mean it's not possible.
I've had similar temps with other cpu's and motherboards, since I take down the performance of the cpu to the lowest I can get and still get steady 60fps so that I get low temps.

Go in Metro. Play for a while and show me a screenshot of your Ryzen Master using Imgur.com to post the picture.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
As @Nemesia stated, there's something wrong.

Starting with the custom power plan. 99% is killing your cpu boosts, Ryzens do not boost until a core hits 100%. You are basically limiting the cpu to base speeds.

Metro is a very demanding title, it's one of the reasons it's been so popular with cpu/gpu reviews for years.

Ryzen are not Intel and you cannot think of them working like one, because they don't. With Intel at idle, they down volt and down clock all cores to minimum state, but all cores remain active. So the entire load of services and processes windows starts/stops is split amongst all the cores. You'd see idle of 32° and that might jump to 40° at most, that being the hottest core at the time of reading.

With a Ryzen, all cores are put in Standby, not active status, except one. That single core has the entire workload on its own, so you should be seeing higher than the Intel 32° at idle (depending on how much bs is running in the background) but will easily spike to 60°plus when services startup because temps are only reading that single core.

Ryzen master is accurate, depending on how you look at it. It does not report hottest cores every 500ms. It holds all readings and averages the temps over 3 seconds, for all the cores. So over 3 seconds you might see maxes of 40/40/40/60/60/60, leaving a reported temp in RM as 50°, that being the average and a better idea of the entire cpu temp, not just a single core.

As far as spikes go, stop worrying about them, they aren't hurting the cpu at all, games or functions are a workload on the cpu that is constantly changing, so expect temps to constantly change too. Especially with an aircooler.

My 3700x is covered by 2x 240mm rads, that's @ 500w capacity, double that of your DRP4 and I still game (any that I play) at low 60°C temps and a 1.256v VID, and even with a full custom loop I still see spikes of 40-60°C. It's just how Ryzens work.

Look at that image you posted, Histogram is set to Peak. your highest core hit 3300MHz. You are playing Metro at barely above idle speeds, most cores not getting out of standby. That's why you see a 41 for temps. Somehow you've basically castrated the cpu. Dark Souls 3, HWmonitor report, MAX 3374MHz. You have 0 boost.

take off the 99%, your paranoia about spike temps isn't doing you Any favors at all.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021
Sorry but i've clearly said that I'm limiting the cpu so it doesn't boost since I don't need it to boost to have a stable 60fps in games.
I'm downclocking it to keep as low temps as i possibly can.
I don't really care what you people think about it not being possible and such, I've been downclocking this cpu to hit these temps and the same with my old ryzen 3 which I hit similar temps with. As long as i keep 60 fps in game I'm golden, which i put as a fps limit in game as well so the cpu and gpu doesn't needlessly work with all they can to get as much fps as possible.
I've hit these temps steadily with 3 different ryzen cpu:s and 2 diff motherboards, it's clearly possible, if you guys think this is useless or dumb to do I don't really care, I'm downclocking because I like it that way, to not make my hardware work as hard as possible for higher than 60fps which I don't really notice anyway.

All I wanted to know was if someone else would know why my cpu is behaving weird when It shouldn't be, the temps are normally controlled so that I have them at what I deem good, but even with downclocks, the cpu ignores my set limits and boost the cores even tho I have a 99% limit in my power plan so it shouldn't boost. But yet it does when I click anywhere with a text input. That was the question.

I still don't understand how to close this thread or delete it. So this will be my last reply. Thanks for your time. Bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS