Apr 24, 2020
Amd Ryzen 5 3600
Geforce Rtx 2060 Super
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8GB)
MSI b450 tomahawk
This is my first build and there is no display on the monitor. The cpu red debug light comes on and after it the red vga debug light. I'm not sure whether something is broken or not. I checked all my plugs and tried reseating the cpu, ram, and gpu. I even reset the cmos and flashed the bios with a flashdrive and it still doesn't work. What should I do and if a part is broken how can I know which one it is?

Solution
Yes I've connected the power cable and the graphics card is in the slot, it even lights up when it turns on. The fans go for a bit but then usually come to a stop. I've noticed that sometimes the lighting underneath the debug lights is white when at other times it is red.
Does the VGA light stay on after the CPU light has turned off? If yes, then the GPU is most likely faulty and should be RMA'd.

Before doing that, you could also try putting the GPU into a different PCI-E slot. just to be sure that it's not the slot that's faulty.
I think the lights cycle through all of them and then stops at the one on which it finds an error, so if the last light to stay on is the VGA light, then the problem is with the GPU. Have you connected the power connector for the GPU? Make sure the card is well placed in the slot.

Apr 24, 2020
I think the lights cycle through all of them and then stops at the one on which it finds an error, so if the last light to stay on is the VGA light, then the problem is with the GPU. Have you connected the power connector for the GPU? Make sure the card is well placed in the slot.
Yes I've connected the power cable and the graphics card is in the slot, it even lights up when it turns on. The fans go for a bit but then usually come to a stop. I've noticed that sometimes the lighting underneath the debug lights is white when at other times it is red.

Does the VGA light stay on after the CPU light has turned off? If yes, then the GPU is most likely faulty and should be RMA'd.

Before doing that, you could also try putting the GPU into a different PCI-E slot. just to be sure that it's not the slot that's faulty.

Solution
Amd Ryzen 5 3600
Geforce Rtx 2060 Super
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8GB)
MSI b450 tomahawk
This is my first build and there is no display on the monitor. The cpu red debug light comes on and after it the red vga debug light. I'm not sure whether something is broken or not. I checked all my plugs and tried reseating the cpu, ram, and gpu. I even reset the cmos and flashed the bios with a flashdrive and it still doesn't work. What should I do and if a part is broken how can I know which one it is?
What BIOS did you try to update it to? did the process proceed properly? Did you extract the ROM file, rename it to the correct file name and put it in the root directory of the FAT32 formatted USB drive?

The flash-back on Tomahawks is known to be picky about the USB drive used. You might try again with different USB drives.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020

I put the gpu in the other slot and actually got a display on the monitor! However it says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and select a key".

Apr 24, 2020
What BIOS did you try to update it to? did the process proceed properly? Did you extract the ROM file, rename it to the correct file name and put it in the root directory of the FAT32 formatted USB drive?

The flash-back on Tomahawks is known to be picky about the USB drive used. You might try again with different USB drives.
I updated to the latest bios and yes I did all of that, I saw that the led light flashed for about 5 or something by the reset cmos button.