[SOLVED] Cpu voltage and Watts not maximized

pavlaras74ever

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2015
Hello, i have a quick question for you, i have an amd ryzen 7 3800x. On the stresstest ,100% of usage , it uses only 67.000W to 67.800W and the core voltage is abbout 1.200V to 1.487V.
I have a psu which is not that good , is normal tha its not using the maximum watt which is 105W if i am right. The way i think , is that the cpu cannot have the maximum performance because its not getting enough watts , am i wrong ?
psu : 600W turbox 80 plus bronze (greek brand, not that good)
Is the
"Gigabyte Aorus P750W 750W Full Modular 80 Plus Gold"
good , for an upgrade ?

Solution
Depends on settings. As was said earlier, just because someone else gets 120fps with the same equipment, doesn't mean you will.

They may have overclocked, set PBO1, changed nvidia global settings, changed certain in-game settings, have larger/better cooling, have pcie4.0 NVMe, using older game version before a bug fix created bugs or a game update hurt performance in many ppl as the devs try to catch cheaters and exploiters etc.
...The way i think , is that the cpu cannot have the maximum performance because its not getting enough watts , am i wrong ?
You are wrong.

Correctly, your CPU is drawing power from the VRM...which in turn is drawing power from the PSU. But whether it's the VRM or the PSU that can't deliver sufficient power it won't just reduce performance, it won't hold the steady, ripple-free voltage needed and the CPU will crash. Either that or trip out on over-current or over-power protections and shut down.

Like @Mr.Spock notes: your PSU can deliver far more power than your CPU will ever draw. After all, it's got to also deliver power to a GPU that's way more power hungry than a CPU.

Last edited:

pavlaras74ever

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2015
You are wrong.

Correctly, your CPU is drawing power from the VRM...which in turn is drawing power from the PSU. But whether it's the VRM or the PSU that can't deliver sufficient power it won't just reduce performance, it won't hold the steady, ripple-free voltage needed and the CPU will crash. Either that or trip out on over-current or over-power protections and shut down.

Like @Mr.Spock notes: your PSU can deliver far more power than your CPU will ever draw. After all, it's got to also deliver power to a GPU that's way more power hungry than a CPU.
So , is it possible to know ,if the parts of my computer are getting the right volts, because i noticed the last 2 weeks my computer has lower performance. One more question , i have mobo aorus x570 pro , when i turn on the computer (this was happening from the first time i turn on this build) it need about 10 secs so my screen starts showing the aorus logo with the widnows load thing. Is that a problem , or is it normal , maybe the mobo is not getting the right Watts or volts and needs more time stabilize the electricity. (is my question stupid ?)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You have the monitor on hdmi/dp. That's normal as those 2 types of connections require a 'handshake'.

Although 10 seconds is a relatively long time for post procedures before the splash screen appears.

At a guess, I'd say you have some conflicts with bios and/or drivers going on, maybe something from windows shutdown saving bad settings to cmos. With the pc on, push and hold the power button for 5+ seconds. Pc should shut off instantly. This will force the bios to start over with fresh data, not relying on windows. See if that also takes 10 seconds before splash screen.

When was the last time you used something like ccleaner /registry and cleaned out the software and temp files, orphans, registry etc?

pavlaras74ever

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2015
You have the monitor on hdmi/dp. That's normal as those 2 types of connections require a 'handshake'.

Although 10 seconds is a relatively long time for post procedures before the splash screen appears.

At a guess, I'd say you have some conflicts with bios and/or drivers going on, maybe something from windows shutdown saving bad settings to cmos. With the pc on, push and hold the power button for 5+ seconds. Pc should shut off instantly. This will force the bios to start over with fresh data, not relying on windows. See if that also takes 10 seconds before splash screen.

When was the last time you used something like ccleaner /registry and cleaned out the software and temp files, orphans, registry etc?
let me tell you what happened. I watched a video on youtube , a computer with the same specs , had more fps on some common games we were playing on. So i thought my pc is not fine , so i decided to format kai reinstall windows 10. I did unplug the 2 of the 3 hard drivers cause they were causing a problem , and then i installed it normal. After that , i did a restart and it was stucking on the blackscreen , only if i was pressing the boot button and choosing the boot device , could start up. So i reformated and reinstalled the windows for 2nd time. it got fixed. But in the end it feels like the perfomance is much much lower for somereason and now i got this resource and performance.

Thank you for your time.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
So you have a
3800x @ 3.9GHz. 1.4v
16Gb @ 3200MHz, 16-18-18-38
A 2060Super
Giga Auros Pro.
Crap 600w psu.

Voltage is kinda high, even for stock. What's cooling that cpu?

That diagnosis is junk.
Your cpu is not a 3950x or 5000 series cpu, therefore ist 'poor'.
The gpu is a 2060Super, not a rtx3090, therefore it's 'poor'.
Your ram is @ 3200MHz, 3000 series cpus top out at 3600/3733MHz (generally) , so is 'poor'.

Windows rated my 3770k pc as 7.9/8 it was as good as it got, best possible cpu for worry free computing. The day after the 4770k was released, windows dropped it to 5.9/8 and said I had an aged pc, very slow, would create problems with software and happiness experience. They suggested a good upgrade would be a 4300U (that's actually a laptop cpu).

Take windows diagnosis with a grain of salt, it's generally a bunch of BS when it comes to reality checks.

pavlaras74ever

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2015
So you have a
3800x @ 3.9GHz. 1.4v
16Gb @ 3200MHz, 16-18-18-38
A 2060Super
Giga Auros Pro.
Crap 600w psu.

Voltage is kinda high, even for stock. What's cooling that cpu?

That diagnosis is junk.
Your cpu is not a 3950x or 5000 series cpu, therefore ist 'poor'.
The gpu is a 2060Super, not a rtx3090, therefore it's 'poor'.
Your ram is @ 3200MHz, 3000 series cpus top out at 3600/3733MHz (generally) , so is 'poor'.

Windows rated my 3770k pc as 7.9/8 it was as good as it got, best possible cpu for worry free computing. The day after the 4770k was released, windows dropped it to 5.9/8 and said I had an aged pc, very slow, would create problems with software and happiness experience. They suggested a good upgrade would be a 4300U (that's actually a laptop cpu).

Take windows diagnosis with a grain of salt, it's generally a bunch of BS when it comes to reality checks.
That was a good explanation thank you. Well Its the normal cooling system it got inside the box wraith prism.
With this hardware , what fps should i expect on 1080p game as call of duty warzone etc. Cause before the format , neve dropped under 100fps and after that , i got 70 fps on plane , and when i am on the earth, instead of 120-130 i got 101.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on settings. As was said earlier, just because someone else gets 120fps with the same equipment, doesn't mean you will.

They may have overclocked, set PBO1, changed nvidia global settings, changed certain in-game settings, have larger/better cooling, have pcie4.0 NVMe, using older game version before a bug fix created bugs or a game update hurt performance in many ppl as the devs try to catch cheaters and exploiters etc.

Solution

pavlaras74ever

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2015

what is pbo1 ?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc

On some boards, PBO is an 'auto' setting which pushes lower running cpus up to the TDP power limits for the 3 PBO values. They go beyond that and have PBO1 and PBO2 which are well beyond TDP values. For instance the PPT value for your 105w cpu rating is 142w. PBO will optimize to try and run at that threshold, PBO1 might bump PPT upto 300w and PBO2 might push it to 700w. There are PBO settings for some motherboards with PPT in excess of 1200w.

Your cpu has power limits. It'll boost upto those limits and try and stay within thermal thresholds. If you have good enough cooling, PBO1/2 raises those limits. Means you'll possibly see a boost upto 4.6GHz ± instead of standard 4.2GHz etc.

pavlaras74ever

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2015
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc

On some boards, PBO is an 'auto' setting which pushes lower running cpus up to the TDP power limits for the 3 PBO values. They go beyond that and have PBO1 and PBO2 which are well beyond TDP values. For instance the PPT value for your 105w cpu rating is 142w. PBO will optimize to try and run at that threshold, PBO1 might bump PPT upto 300w and PBO2 might push it to 700w. There are PBO settings for some motherboards with PPT in excess of 1200w.

Your cpu has power limits. It'll boost upto those limits and try and stay within thermal thresholds. If you have good enough cooling, PBO1/2 raises those limits. Means you'll possibly see a boost upto 4.6GHz ± instead of standard 4.2GHz etc.
Thank you for all your answers.