Dec 30, 2023
Hi everyone!

So, I've uprgaded from Ryzen 5 1600 to Ryzen 5 5600. Anyway, I'm running my old ASrock AB350M Pro4 motherboard, and of course i've updated BIOS to 7.20

The probles is, when I've turned my PC on after changing ONLY the CPU, It didn't post at all. I've reinstalled my old R5 1600 to double-check the BIOS ver. but it was ok.
Then i again installed R5 5600, but that time I've cleared CMOS and went with only one ram of stick (8gb G.Skill Trident Z 3200) and it worked just fine. I've rebooted it seweral times with stock 2133 speed and 3200 xmp and everything was just fine. So when i added second stick of ram it doesn't post again.

This ram is exact same as i ran before, and i've tried 1st stick of ram in every ram slots and it works just fine, but when I'm trying my second stick it doesn't post in any ram slot.

I literally have no idea what could be wrong. Maybe tomorrow I'll try to boot this unlucky stick of ram with my old R5-1600, or I'll try to find another set of ram to try, but maybe anyone here had any similar expirience or have any ideas?

As you've changed the CPU you have also changed the memory controller. If you have access to a different memory kit I suggest trying it. Ryzen can be fickle sometimes with RAM and I suspect that second stick could be your issue based on your findings.

Dec 30, 2023
As you've changed the CPU you have also changed the memory controller. If you have access to a different memory kit I suggest trying it. Ryzen can be fickle sometimes with RAM and I suspect that second stick could be your issue based on your findings.
But i still can't undestand, if there's some problems with my second ram stick, why did it ran perfectly with R5-1600? Or Ryzen's memory controllers are so picky to ram?

Hi everyone!

So, I've uprgaded from Ryzen 5 1600 to Ryzen 5 5600. Anyway, I'm running my old ASrock AB350M Pro4 motherboard, and of course i've updated BIOS to 7.20

The probles is, when I've turned my PC on after changing ONLY the CPU, It didn't post at all. I've reinstalled my old R5 1600 to double-check the BIOS ver. but it was ok.
Then i again installed R5 5600, but that time I've cleared CMOS and went with only one ram of stick (8gb G.Skill Trident Z 3200) and it worked just fine. I've rebooted it seweral times with stock 2133 speed and 3200 xmp and everything was just fine. So when i added second stick of ram it doesn't post again.

This ram is exact same as i ran before, and i've tried 1st stick of ram in every ram slots and it works just fine, but when I'm trying my second stick it doesn't post in any ram slot.

I literally have no idea what could be wrong. Maybe tomorrow I'll try to boot this unlucky stick of ram with my old R5-1600, or I'll try to find another set of ram to try, but maybe anyone here had any similar expirience or have any ideas?
Are these 2 sticks a kit or 2 separate sticks you bought?

But i still can't undestand, if there's some problems with my second ram stick, why did it ran perfectly with R5-1600? Or Ryzen's memory controllers are so picky to ram?
Differences in the controllers. Every piece of silicon is a bit different, it may just be the case that the 1600 was a little more forgiving, or that it fed more or less voltage. There's far to many variables to consider.

Now that said I will also ask (as Bob.B did) are these DIMMs from a matched set? If not that may well be the issue. Even matched sets sometimes won't work though it's rare.

Dec 30, 2023
So, last night I've found someone's comment on reddit with the same problem, R5-5600 wasn't working with one exact stick of ram with ASrock AB350m Pro4 mobo.
First of all, I've tried to increase ram voltage, but it didn't worked. Then I have installed the latest bios version, 7.40, while all instructions and manuals said that for ryzen 5xxx you should use 7.20 bios version.

Firstly, I've booted it with working stick of ram and and apllied the XMP 3200 profile, cause by default it was booting with 2133 frequency, and checked that system istelf works fine with new bios. Also, i've increased memory training cycles from 3 to 5.

And when i've installed both stick of ram in A2 and B2 slots as it supposed to be, it wasn't posting for a while, but then, after memory training i guess, it worked and booted up!

So, I've ran Aida64 and OCCT memory test, no failures and/or errors so far.

I guess it was memory training or Bios problem, maybe both. Anyway, thank to all of your suggestions, because yesterday i almost gave up, even when it wasn't posting for so long in last succesful run.

Maybe my experience would help someone, i hope so)