Hi.

I've a CPx that had BIOS ver A13. I decided to upgrade to A14. Unfortunately
I was using the battery instead of having mains power plugged in. As you've
probably guessed, the battery gave up midway during the process and the
system no longer boots.

When the power button is pressed both "on" and "hard disk" lights illuminate
for a couple of seconds, then go off and nothing happens. There's a kind of
faint "donk" noise when the floppy drive module is in, but it seems the
system cannot fire up enough to see the floppy disk.

Any ideas as to how I can get the system back to life would be gratefuly
received.

TIA.

In article <425f1f25@news.eftel.com>, Someone@microsoft.com says...

> Hi.
>
> I've a CPx that had BIOS ver A13. I decided to upgrade to A14. Unfortunately
> I was using the battery instead of having mains power plugged in. As you've
> probably guessed, the battery gave up midway during the process and the
> system no longer boots.

<snippety-one>

> Any ideas as to how I can get the system back to life would be gratefuly
> received.

The only way I know of to recover from such an incident is to
physically remove the BIOS EEPROM from the system, and use a device
programmer to manually load the appropriate binary image back into it.

This task requires considerable skill with electronic equipment
assembly/disassembly, specialized hand tools, an anti-static work
environment and wrist strap, and of course the programmer. Such units
can range anywhere from $100 to over $27,000 depending on features and
quality of manufacture.

If you lack the appropriate equipment and/or skill, you would do
well to seek out a computer repair place in your area, or just send the
system to Dell.

Good luck.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"

On balance, it might be easiest to replace the entire motherboard... Ben Myers

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 22:25:32 -0700, Dr. Anton T. Squeegee
<SpammersAreVermin@dev.null> wrote:

>In article <425f1f25@news.eftel.com>, Someone@microsoft.com says...
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I've a CPx that had BIOS ver A13. I decided to upgrade to A14. Unfortunately
>> I was using the battery instead of having mains power plugged in. As you've
>> probably guessed, the battery gave up midway during the process and the
>> system no longer boots.
>
> <snippety-one>
>
>> Any ideas as to how I can get the system back to life would be gratefuly
>> received.
>
> The only way I know of to recover from such an incident is to
>physically remove the BIOS EEPROM from the system, and use a device
>programmer to manually load the appropriate binary image back into it.
>
> This task requires considerable skill with electronic equipment
>assembly/disassembly, specialized hand tools, an anti-static work
>environment and wrist strap, and of course the programmer. Such units
>can range anywhere from $100 to over $27,000 depending on features and
>quality of manufacture.
>
> If you lack the appropriate equipment and/or skill, you would do
>well to seek out a computer repair place in your area, or just send the
>system to Dell.
>
> Good luck.
>

>--
>Dr. Anton T. Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute.
>(Known to some as Bruce Lane, ARS KC7GR,
>kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
>"If Salvador Dali had owned a computer, would it have been equipped
>with surreal ports?"

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

this doesn't make sense Dell laptops have a built in saftey feat that does
not allow you to flash the BIOS "WITHOUT" the mains plugged in - just curios
> On balance, it might be easiest to replace the entire motherboard... Ben
> Myers
>
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 22:25:32 -0700, Dr. Anton T. Squeegee
> <SpammersAreVermin@dev.null> wrote:
>
>>In article <425f1f25@news.eftel.com>, Someone@microsoft.com says...
>>
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I've a CPx that had BIOS ver A13. I decided to upgrade to A14.
>>> Unfortunately
>>> I was using the battery instead of having mains power plugged in. As
>>> you've
>>> probably guessed, the battery gave up midway during the process and the
>>> system no longer boots.
>>
>> <snippety-one>
>>
>>> Any ideas as to how I can get the system back to life would be gratefuly
>>> received.
>>
>> The only way I know of to recover from such an incident is to
>>physically remove the BIOS EEPROM from the system, and use a device
>>programmer to manually load the appropriate binary image back into it.
>>
>> This task requires considerable skill with electronic equipment
>>assembly/disassembly, specialized hand tools, an anti-static work
>>environment and wrist strap, and of course the programmer. Such units
>>can range anywhere from $100 to over $27,000 depending on features and
>>quality of manufacture.
>>
>> If you lack the appropriate equipment and/or skill, you would do
>>well to seek out a computer repair place in your area, or just send the
>>system to Dell.
>>
>> Good luck.
>>

>>--
>>Dr. Anton T. Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute.
>>(Known to some as Bruce Lane, ARS KC7GR,
>>kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
>>"If Salvador Dali had owned a computer, would it have been equipped
>>with surreal ports?"

Well, the OP stated that the battery gave out while the system was in the middle
of flashing the BIOS. It sounds like the battery had maybe 1% of its charge
when the OP started up the BIOS flasher.

Frankly, I would NEVER flash the BIOS on a notebook computer unless it was
plugged into wall current... Ben Myers

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 21:02:24 +0100, "Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>this doesn't make sense Dell laptops have a built in saftey feat that does
>not allow you to flash the BIOS "WITHOUT" the mains plugged in - just curios
>> On balance, it might be easiest to replace the entire motherboard... Ben
>> Myers
>>
>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 22:25:32 -0700, Dr. Anton T. Squeegee
>> <SpammersAreVermin@dev.null> wrote:
>>
>>>In article <425f1f25@news.eftel.com>, Someone@microsoft.com says...

>>> <snippety-one>

>>> The only way I know of to recover from such an incident is to
>>>physically remove the BIOS EEPROM from the system, and use a device
>>>programmer to manually load the appropriate binary image back into it.
>>>
>>> This task requires considerable skill with electronic equipment
>>>assembly/disassembly, specialized hand tools, an anti-static work
>>>environment and wrist strap, and of course the programmer. Such units
>>>can range anywhere from $100 to over $27,000 depending on features and
>>>quality of manufacture.
>>>
>>> If you lack the appropriate equipment and/or skill, you would do
>>>well to seek out a computer repair place in your area, or just send the
>>>system to Dell.
>>>
>>> Good luck.
>>>

>>>--
>>>Dr. Anton T. Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute.
>>>(Known to some as Bruce Lane, ARS KC7GR,
>>>kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
>>>"If Salvador Dali had owned a computer, would it have been equipped
>>>with surreal ports?"

I have been unable to flash the BIOS. The program tells me that I need the
batttery Installed. It is installed but does not take a charge. The
Latitude CPi otherwise works fine plugged into AC. Do you have an
explanation for this and how I could get it flashed. Thank you! I could, of
course break down and buy a new battery.

"Spammy Sammy" <Someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> snip

Interesting development. Originally whilst in the process of flashing the
BIOS the battery died and the laptop did not power up or respond at all.

Dead, I thought, so it doesn't matter what I do with it. I decided to take
laptop apart to see of there was some kind of reset jumper on the mobo
somewhere, in the manner of the Factory Reset option in Nokia mobiles.
Reduced laptop to component parts, no jumper found. Ah well, I thought.

Reassembled laptop with no leftover parts, plugged it into the mains and
pressed the power button just for curiosity's sake and lo!, it sprang to
life and now works fine. Interestingly the BIOS is the same version as it
was before this debacle began.

Now after I'd killed it first time around it didn't work under mains power,
or with the battery. It now works with both. As the BIOS seems to be
untouched perhaps the psu is on it's way out and that's what caused the
problem. In any event I'm not complaining.

Thanks for all replies.