Hey guys I recently built a new PC
Specs are
Ryzen 7700x
Rosewill CMG 850W 80 gold plus
MSI PRO B650-P WIFI
G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB DDR5 6000MHZ
Zotac RTX 3080 12GB
Samsung NVME SSD 980

Everything works great until I try and play some games. Been playing Modern Warfare 2 and New World.
Both games crash to desktop after about 30min-1hr of gameplay.
I've monitored temps to see if that was the issue but everything seems ok for GPU and CPU temps.
I'm thinking that this might be a memory error. I also noticed that the RAM is running at 4800MHZ instead of 6000MHZ
I also ran prime95 and Unigine Superposition with no errors.

I'm open to any suggestions on how to diagnose this issue. I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out.

Solution
Specs are
Ryzen 7700x
MSI PRO B650-P WIFI
Zotac RTX 3080 12GB
Samsung NVME SSD 980

Everything works great until I try and play some games. Been playing Modern Warfare 2 and New World.
I've monitored temps to see if that was the issue but everything seems ok for GPU and CPU temps.
I'm thinking that this might be a memory error. I also noticed that the RAM is running at 4800MHZ instead of 6000MHZ

I'm open to any suggestions on how to diagnose this issue. I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out.
Start...

kanewolf

Titan
Specs are
Ryzen 7700x
MSI PRO B650-P WIFI
Zotac RTX 3080 12GB
Samsung NVME SSD 980

Start by taking the side panel off and pointing a desk fan at the motherboard. Retest. It seems like an overheating issue.

Solution
Nov 29, 2022
Ok, I'll try this out and see if it still crashes in game.
Maybe some other components are overheating?
The GPU is around 75c and CPU has it max 82c while gaming.
Running MemTest right now to see if that's the issue, but after about an 1hr and 10min, no errors on the ram.

Specs are
Ryzen 7700x
MSI PRO B650-P WIFI
Zotac RTX 3080 12GB
Samsung NVME SSD 980

Consider getting a proper psu if you are going to run a 3080 gpu.

The 3yr warranty on what you have is a big flag.

Shop for something with a 7-10yr warranty.

Nov 29, 2022
Consider getting a proper psu if you are going to run a 3080 gpu.

The 3yr warranty on what you have is a big flag.

Shop for something with a 7-10yr warranty.
I got such a good deal on this PSU though. Price dropped from $200 to $80. I guess that also can be taken as a red flag.

Nov 29, 2022
Start by taking the side panel off and pointing a desk fan at the motherboard. Retest. It seems like an overheating issue.
So far it seems like this actually might be the issue.
The strange this is, when I have my PC on the floor sideways it seems to work without any problems.
I had a fan blowing into it as suggested and it seems to have done the trick. I can't say for sure though.
Is there anyway I can ensure that the problem is not the GPU or CPU? Or maybe the PSU as Bob suggested?
I don't think it's the PSU though, if it was I think the PC would completely crash, not just to desktop.
MemTest came back all good. So I don't think it's the ram.

kanewolf

Titan
So far it seems like this actually might be the issue.
The strange this is, when I have my PC on the floor sideways it seems to work without any problems.
I had a fan blowing into it as suggested and it seems to have done the trick. I can't say for sure though.
Is there anyway I can ensure that the problem is not the GPU or CPU? Or maybe the PSU as Bob suggested?
I don't think it's the PSU though, if it was I think the PC would completely crash, not just to desktop.
MemTest came back all good. So I don't think it's the ram.
Laying with the open side up, also indicate a heating problem. Remember warm air rises.
Try testing with the case in normal orientation with the side panel off and no fan. Retest. If this does not have problems. then you have an airflow problem with insufficient outside air in the case.

Nov 29, 2022
Laying with the open side up, also indicate a heating problem. Remember warm air rises.
Try testing with the case in normal orientation with the side panel off and no fan. Retest. If this does not have problems. then you have an airflow problem with insufficient outside air in the case.
I'm pretty sure it's going to crash again if I put it upright.
I ran another test using MSI Kombuster with the PC laying down and the side panel back on.
Has been running about 30min so far with no issue, GPU temp is at 78c.
What if the issue is with the way the GPU is seated on the mother board?

kanewolf

Titan
I'm pretty sure it's going to crash again if I put it upright.
I ran another test using MSI Kombuster with the PC laying down and the side panel back on.
Has been running about 30min so far with no issue, GPU temp is at 78c.
What if the issue is with the way the GPU is seated on the mother board?
Unlikely, but possible if it sags excessively.
Does it work upright with the fan pointed at it ?

Nov 29, 2022
Unlikely, but possible if it sags excessively.
Does it work upright with the fan pointed at it ?
After some more testing, it looks like it was indeed a heating issue. I added 3 more fans to the case and closed everything up and set it up right. Have been gaming for the past 3 hours with no crashes. Thanks for all the help!