Question Crashing during startup and memtest (5600X)

Nov 22, 2021
Issue: Crashes without BSOD, fans never stop. Happens anywhere from 10-60 seconds after turning on. Can't get through a memtest. Tried updating BIOS, different motherboard (used).

CPU: 5600X
MB: MSI B550M pro-vdh-wifi
RAM: tried corsair vengence and apacer
Hardrive: xpg s50 lite 1tb m2
Graphics card: quadro m4000
PSU: corsair TX550M

I really thought it was the ram, but switching to a different set had no affect on this issue. I don't think it is the PSU but I am going to get a known working one to test. Tried cleaning all the contacts and reseating everything. Temps look fine before crash.
Could it be the CPU? Or the graphics card? Or I just got unlucky twice/this is a common issue with this motherboard?

At a loss for what to try next except for the PSU, any advice or things to try would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 22, 2021
If the temps look fine.....I would be suspecting the PSU first.
It is possible it's the GPU....and you could swap another one in if you have one...but I think PSU is more likely.
...and in my experience.....it is very rarely the CPU.

Okay thank you for the insight, I will try the PSU. Unfortunately I don't have a spare GPU. I am suspicious of the quadro graphics card because I don't see much information about compatibility with the 5600x...

Nov 22, 2021
If the temps look fine.....I would be suspecting the PSU first.
It is possible it's the GPU....and you could swap another one in if you have one...but I think PSU is more likely.
...and in my experience.....it is very rarely the CPU.
It seems odd to me that it would be the PSU because the voltages look really stable before the PC crashes. I will try it anyways however (fingers crossed...)

It seems odd to me that it would be the PSU because the voltages look really stable before the PC crashes. I will try it anyways however (fingers crossed...)
I was unaware you were monitoring voltages. That's good. ....and if they look really stable it may not be the PSU.

Although I think that if the GPU were causing the crash...it would probably crash immediately.....without the 10-60 second delay.

Usually in my experience ....if some time goes by before a crash....and it seems consistent....it's the PSU or the temps are too hot.

Are you sure it's not the temps? Is the cooler snug?

Nov 22, 2021
I was unaware you were monitoring voltages. That's good. ....and if they look really stable it may not be the PSU.

Although I think that if the GPU were causing the crash...it would probably crash immediately.....without the 10-60 second delay.

Usually in my experience ....if some time goes by before a crash....and it seems consistent....it's the PSU or the temps are too hot.

Are you sure it's not the temps? Is the cooler snug?

I think the CPU temps are normal (~45C during idle).

Nov 22, 2021
I would have said motherboard but since you have already tested it. I don't suppose you have a different CPU to try, it's very rare for a CPU to be faulty but it does happen.

I haven't tested it, I just tried a different one. But perhaps the same issue is happening? I found a couple other people with similar problems, so I am worried it could be a common issue for the MSI B550Ms.
If the PSU isn't the issue maybe the next step will be a different motherboard.

Issue: Crashes without BSOD, fans never stop. Happens anywhere from 10-60 seconds after turning on. Can't get through a memtest. Tried updating BIOS, different motherboard (used).

CPU: 5600X
MB: MSI B550M pro-vdh-wifi
RAM: tried corsair vengence and apacer
Hardrive: xpg s50 lite 1tb m2
Graphics card: quadro m4000
PSU: corsair TX550M

I really thought it was the ram, but switching to a different set had no affect on this issue. I don't think it is the PSU but I am going to get a known working one to test. Tried cleaning all the contacts and reseating everything. Temps look fine before crash.
Could it be the CPU? Or the graphics card? Or I just got unlucky twice/this is a common issue with this motherboard?

At a loss for what to try next except for the PSU, any advice or things to try would be greatly appreciated.
Make it smaller.
Unplug all disk.
Use one stick of ram in the proper slot.
Power up and enter the bios.
Does it crash with just the bios open?

Nov 22, 2021
Make it smaller.
Unplug all disk.
Use one stick of ram in the proper slot.
Power up and enter the bios.
Does it crash with just the bios open?
Thank you for the advice!
Tried it without the SSD, and yes it still crashes even just in BIOS. Tried 1 stick of ram, still no luck.
It does seem to crash faster during startup or in memtest, so I am wondering if that can help pinpoint the issue at all.

Side note: resetting CMOS has no affect.

Thank you for the advice!
Tried it without the SSD, and yes it still crashes even just in BIOS. Tried 1 stick of ram, still no luck.
It does seem to crash faster during startup or in memtest, so I am wondering if that can help pinpoint the issue at all.

Side note: resetting CMOS has no affect.
Try a different stick of ram.
If it still fails move the mobo onto a piece of cardboard.
If it still fails your down to 3 parts.

Nov 22, 2021
Try a different stick of ram.
If it still fails move the mobo onto a piece of cardboard.
If it still fails your down to 3 parts.

Tried a different PSU, tried moving the motherboard onto cardboard, same issue. Going to try a different GPU today. Feeling like it is probably the motherboard?