Question Crashing PC after Upgrading to 4070 ti

Dec 12, 2023
Welp, this is frustrating! PC randomly goes to black screen and reboots. This system has worked perfectly for over a year, the only change I've made is upgrade from a 3080 to a 4070 ti. Seems to be solved when I disable RAM DOCP.

System:
b550 i gaming
5600x
16gb g.skill 3600 c14
4070 ti

First I deleted driver, put in new card, updated drivers. Had problems immediately where it would crash and reboot at seemingly random times.
Next tried a bios update and clean windows install. No difference.
Turned off XMP/DOCP and now it seems to work fine. But it's very frustrating not running the ram at the faster speed. Currently running memtest86 while DOCP in enabled, no errors so far.

I'm also planning on upgrading to a 5600x3d, 32gb G.Skill F4-3600C14D-32GVK. Already purchased.

Should I just go ahead with the upgrades, or figure the problem out first? Slightly complicated because it's an ITX build and I have to remove the CPU cooler to get to the ram.

Dec 12, 2023
I've tried two PSUs.
Both Corsair Platinum.
sf600 and rm850x
No difference either way. Both have run with my 3080 with zero issues. The 3080 should be more power hungry than the 4070 ti... at least I think.

Ironically the crashes have never happened while under load. I've run benchmarks, furmark, etc and no crash. It usually crashes when I'm just surfing the web, checking settings, etc.

I've tried two PSUs.
Both Corsair Platinum.
sf600 and rm850x
No difference either way. Both have run with my 3080 with zero issues. The 3080 should be more power hungry than the 4070 ti... at least I think.

Ironically the crashes have never happened while under load. I've run benchmarks, furmark, etc and no crash. It usually crashes when I'm just surfing the web, checking settings, etc.
Have you tried reseating the ram? May have been jostled about when you installed the new card.

Dec 12, 2023
Thanks all for the replies!

The gpu is on a riser so it shouldn't have jostled the RAM. I can't take them all the way out because of the cooler, but I did loosen them and click them back in. No difference.

Reactions: helper800
Dec 12, 2023
I followed all the suggestions in the video. As well as using the xmp/docp profile but manually adjusting it down from 3600 to 3200. It's running without a problem now. I don't know which tip fixed it, or maybe a combination... But it might be time to just take the win. I did order some 3200 c16. Well see how that runs. No need to keep the more expensive 3600 c14 if I can't run it as such.