Mar 10, 2020
PC Specs:
Prebuilt (outside warranty)
MOBO: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming
CPU: i9-9900k
GPU: Gigabyte 2080 Super
RAM: 16gb DDR4
PSU: Thermaltake 700w 80+ White
Inherited a new system recently with the specs above and it has been fine with playing my normal games (DBD, LoL, Warframe, and Minecraft). While those games are on the low-middle end of performance I assumed that after I fixed my occasional BSOD that it would be fine since the system has been sitting for about 2 years.
As of a few nights ago I have found out that at high load the system crashes to black screen, then immediately reboots with no BSOD, no dump files, and no significant indicator from Event Viewer/Reliability History. Ran Prime95 Benchmark with no CPU issues, ran Memtest86 with no issues and from that with some google searching I have found it is either my GPU or PSU. Borderlands 3 and Heaven Benchmark both caused these crashes multiple times as GPU reached 90+% usage according HWInfo/Afterburner. I do have access to my old system but I don't think a 2060 super would put enough strain on the 700 watt PSU to cause these black screens and I don't think an i5-9400 would have enough horsepower to get the 2080 super up to the 90+% usage to try and crash it. Is it likely that a 700 watt PSU would cause this system to crash at high load? Most of the PSU calculators for my system put it comfortably in the 500-550 watt usage. Would appreciate a solution that does not involve small purchases of uncommonly used equipment. Would much rather purchase a more powerful power supply if that is necessary to be certain of which part is causing the crashes.

Additional things that draw power: 1x PCIE wifi card, 4 USB devices (Keyboard, Mouse, Mic, and DAC), Fan Header leading to 3 RGB 120mm fans, H100i V2 AIO, 1 Rear RGB fan, 4 Sata Storage drives (2 1tb SSD, 1 5400rpm 3tb HDD, 1 7200rpm 1tb HDD

Hey there,

Yes, you are on the right track.

It's highly likely your PSU is the issue in this case.

You've a good system, and the heart of it (The PSU) is key to it functioning correctly. Whilst your PSU has 700w, it's not a gaming grade PSU. It's not all about wattage. It's about the quality of components.

Get a new Gold rated Corsair RM/RMX/RMI/TXM(new one).

gongenzaka

Commendable
Mar 10, 2020
Hey there,

Yes, you are on the right track.

It's highly likely your PSU is the issue in this case.

You've a good system, and the heart of it (The PSU) is key to it functioning correctly. Whilst your PSU has 700w, it's not a gaming grade PSU. It's not all about wattage. It's about the quality of components.

Get a new Gold rated Corsair RM/RMX/RMI/TXM(new one).
That is what I thought. Even on the low-mid range systems that I have built for myself or friends the lowest I have ever gone was 80+ Bronze with 100-150 watts of headroom. Before I posted this I found the PSU cultists tier list and was eyeing the RM850 as the best price, performance, and reviews for something I was putting in a higher end system.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
That is what I thought. Even on the low-mid range systems that I have built for myself or friends the lowest I have ever gone was 80+ Bronze with 100-150 watts of headroom. Before I posted this I found the PSU cultists tier list and was eyeing the RM850 as the best price, performance, and reviews for something I was putting in a higher end system.
Yes, RM is a quality unit. It's a tad on the loud side, so if that bothers you, then the RMX is a great PSU (almost same build, but slightly better and slightly quieter). It's really good at handling transient power spikes, so would be good for a 3xxx/4xxx upgrade too.