Creating Network wizard disc without a floppy drive

Mike

Splendid

Windows XP network wizard wants me to create a floppy disc to use on other
machines on my home network. Problem is I have a media card reader that
shows as four separtae drives under 'My computer' but no floppy disc drive.
The network wizard only gives me the option of creating a disc on one of the
four media card drives! I can't even browse for another (CD) drive. Help!
Without the disc I can't continue the procedure for setting up my home
network.

Mike wrote:
> Windows XP network wizard wants me to create a floppy disc to use on
> other machines on my home network. Problem is I have a media card
> reader that shows as four separtae drives under 'My computer' but no
> floppy disc drive. The network wizard only gives me the option of
> creating a disc on one of the four media card drives! I can't even
> browse for another (CD) drive. Help! Without the disc I can't
> continue the procedure for setting up my home network.

See here:
http://www.pcbanter.net/archive/index.php/t-387084Can't-make-network-setup-disk-because-I-have-no-floppy-drive.html

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Mike

Splendid

Thank-you, Shenan. Here is the relevant part of the web-link you sent me -
after I have pasted it below I have a further question about it:

"Not all computers come with an XP CD these days. If yours didn't, you
can write the Network Setup Wizard to a CD-R and run it on the ME
computer. It's in this file:

C:\Windows\System32\Netsetup.exe
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)"

My question is, what does Steve mean by saying the setup wizard is 'IN this
file'? Should I copy and paste the whole 'Netsetup.exe file' onto a cd, and
will this cd then be a valid network setup disc?

Mike

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> See here:
> http://www.pcbanter.net/archive/index.php/t-387084Can't-make-network-setup-disk-because-I-have-no-floppy-drive.html
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP

Media card can be used instead of a floppy - or copy wizard from HD to CD.

Mike,

Yes, you may copy netsetup.exe to a CD or an USB drive. Then run the file in
the other systems (that don't have a floppy drive). Netsetup actually runs
the Network Setup Wizard.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Thank-you, Shenan. Here is the relevant part of the web-link you sent
> me -
> after I have pasted it below I have a further question about it:
>
> "Not all computers come with an XP CD these days. If yours didn't, you
> can write the Network Setup Wizard to a CD-R and run it on the ME
> computer. It's in this file:
>
> C:\Windows\System32\Netsetup.exe
> --
> Best Wishes,
> Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)"
>
> My question is, what does Steve mean by saying the setup wizard is 'IN
> this
> file'? Should I copy and paste the whole 'Netsetup.exe file' onto a cd,
> and
> will this cd then be a valid network setup disc?
>
> Mike
>
> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>>
>> See here:
>> http://www.pcbanter.net/archive/index.php/t-387084Can't-make-network-setup-disk-because-I-have-no-floppy-drive.html
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP

Mike

Splendid

I have copied netsetup.exe to a cd and used it in my lap top. However it
says it is for certain OS, one of which is NOT windows 2000 professional, the
system that is on the lap top that I am trying to network to my windows xp
machine. How do I network my laptop running windows 2000 professional to my
windows xp machine? I have tried to use 'help' on the lap top, followed the
instructions, changed its workgroup etc, rebooted it, but all without success.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Yes, you may copy netsetup.exe to a CD or an USB drive. Then run the file in
> the other systems (that don't have a floppy drive). Netsetup actually runs
> the Network Setup Wizard.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank-you, Shenan. Here is the relevant part of the web-link you sent
> > me -
> > after I have pasted it below I have a further question about it:
> >
> > "Not all computers come with an XP CD these days. If yours didn't, you
> > can write the Network Setup Wizard to a CD-R and run it on the ME
> > computer. It's in this file:
> >
> > C:\Windows\System32\Netsetup.exe
> > --
> > Best Wishes,
> > Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)"
> >
> > My question is, what does Steve mean by saying the setup wizard is 'IN
> > this
> > file'? Should I copy and paste the whole 'Netsetup.exe file' onto a cd,
> > and
> > will this cd then be a valid network setup disc?
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
> >>
> >> See here:
> >> http://www.pcbanter.net/archive/index.php/t-387084Can't-make-network-setup-disk-because-I-have-no-floppy-drive.html
> >>
> >> --
> >> Shenan Stanley
> >> MS-MVP

For Windows 2000, you may want to configure it manually:

ICS for Win2000 - Client Setup:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/ics/ics_win2k_client.htm

ICS alternatives:
BEFSR41 - Google Search: (router)
http://www.google.com/search?q=BEFSR41

Using AnalogX Proxy to share an Internet Connection in a network:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/analogx.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

>I have copied netsetup.exe to a cd and used it in my lap top. However it
> says it is for certain OS, one of which is NOT windows 2000 professional,
> the
> system that is on the lap top that I am trying to network to my windows xp
> machine. How do I network my laptop running windows 2000 professional to
> my
> windows xp machine? I have tried to use 'help' on the lap top, followed
> the
> instructions, changed its workgroup etc, rebooted it, but all without
> success.
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Mike,
>>
>> Yes, you may copy netsetup.exe to a CD or an USB drive. Then run the file
>> in
>> the other systems (that don't have a floppy drive). Netsetup actually
>> runs
>> the Network Setup Wizard.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank-you, Shenan. Here is the relevant part of the web-link you sent
>> > me -
>> > after I have pasted it below I have a further question about it:
>> >
>> > "Not all computers come with an XP CD these days. If yours didn't, you
>> > can write the Network Setup Wizard to a CD-R and run it on the ME
>> > computer. It's in this file:
>> >
>> > C:\Windows\System32\Netsetup.exe
>> > --
>> > Best Wishes,
>> > Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)"
>> >
>> > My question is, what does Steve mean by saying the setup wizard is 'IN
>> > this
>> > file'? Should I copy and paste the whole 'Netsetup.exe file' onto a cd,
>> > and
>> > will this cd then be a valid network setup disc?
>> >
>> > Mike

Mike

Splendid

I forgot to run the Norton internet security network wizard. Although I
haven't tried this yet, I think the firewall settings were the problem when I
tried to network my laptop, as with the firewall off the computers could find
each other.

The windows XP network setup wizared appears to switch the windows xp
firewall on but I am advised by the computer supplier to switch this off if
the nortton one is on and that I don't need both. Any comments?

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> For Windows 2000, you may want to configure it manually:
>
> ICS for Win2000 - Client Setup:
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/ics/ics_win2k_client.htm
>

> ICS alternatives:
> BEFSR41 - Google Search: (router)
> http://www.google.com/search?q=BEFSR41
>
> Using AnalogX Proxy to share an Internet Connection in a network:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/analogx.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have copied netsetup.exe to a cd and used it in my lap top. However it
> > says it is for certain OS, one of which is NOT windows 2000 professional,
> > the
> > system that is on the lap top that I am trying to network to my windows xp
> > machine. How do I network my laptop running windows 2000 professional to
> > my
> > windows xp machine? I have tried to use 'help' on the lap top, followed
> > the
> > instructions, changed its workgroup etc, rebooted it, but all without
> > success.
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Mike,
> >>
> >> Yes, you may copy netsetup.exe to a CD or an USB drive. Then run the file
> >> in
> >> the other systems (that don't have a floppy drive). Netsetup actually
> >> runs
> >> the Network Setup Wizard.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> nortton one is on and that I don't need both. Any comments?

The computer supplier is correct. You don't need two firewalls at the same
time. NIS is superior compared to Windows Firewall, in terms of it's
features and the outbound monitoring capability. IIRC, the last part of the
Network Setup Wizard offers the option to turn On/Off the firewall. If not,
after running the Network Setup Wizard, you can disable Windows Firewall and
continue using NIS.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User