Question Cried with Crysis 3, is it a CPU-based game?

Sep 22, 2019
I am so unhappy lately because I cannot get 60+ FPS from Crysis 3. I believe that my PowerColor Radeon RX 570 8GB is such a poweful card and Ryzen 5 3400G being a matching pair with the grphics board, can't bear to see Crysis 3 running below 60+ FPS. I have no problems with other titles like BF 1, PUBG and Fortnite.

Is that all Crysis Episodes are CPU-intensive games? Isn't it using the good old Quake engine? Supposingly a less demanding engine...

The 3400G is a replacement of my previous 1600. Should I upgrade the 3400G to 3600X to get to 60 FPS in Crysis 3? I am a die-hard fan of the Crysis series (except Crysis 2 though), it's such a thrill to immerse yourself into that vibrant and blood boiling environment. But this 3400G serves me just for a little less than 3 months, should I get a Intel 9900K for making some room to overclock as needed because Crysis 4 is coming... anyone can contribute some recommendations?

Last edited:
You thought Crysis was a Quake 3 engine game?

The RX570 is not a powerful card, it's a lower mid-range card for 1080P....

The 3400G is a quad core....it should approximate performance of the i5-7400...shown below...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilvjIoDDHMM

In short, if you want 60 fps, you might need more CPU, and, more GPU. (Lower your res and/or details/quality...if framerates improve noticeably, your GPU is holding you back.,..; if not, it's the CPU likely holding you.

Sep 22, 2019
In short, if you want 60 fps, you might need more CPU, and, more GPU. (Lower your res and/or details/quality...if framerates improve noticeably, your GPU is holding you back.,..; if not, it's the CPU likely holding you.
Point taken, didn't know this could sort out which is lacking power. Thanks buddy

Sep 22, 2019
As a point of comparison, an older 6700K running at 4.6 GHz seems to average about 75-80 fps in this game with several GPUs...

But where on earth can I find a new 6700K ? Besides, the motherboard compatible with it should be out of stock for a long time...😪

I have watched the video, without finishing it, I can see what my problem is, it's gonna be my CPU because the RX 570 in that video is showing a very smooth FPS well over 60 most of the time. Had I know this, I would have got a more poweful Intel or the 3600X....😪

Thanks for the pointer! I should have done more research before the build.

Why Crysis makes so big a gap between HIGH and VERY HIGH settings?

It's definitely a CPU intensive game.
It's not about the graphics settings the two videos are from different levels the first video is from the beginning of the game and you should be able to get very high FPS at that point as well,it's not a very demanding level.
the second video is from a much more demanding spot and that's why it has lower FPS.

What video settings are you trying to play at?

Very High / Ultra ALWAYS incurs a stark performance penalty compared to high without much noticeable visual improvement, no matter what game.

Crisis 3 also has some insane tesselation issues on Very High and/or Ultra. Here's an article which shows that there's water being generated in many scenes, even below solid ground where you can't see it. That's why it still shows up in reviews as one of a few of the most demanding games available today.

Have you tried overclocking your CPU?

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019
In that video, you see an rx 570 running at 1440 Mhz. Good luck with that, as most cards run around the 1240-1280 Mhz range.
The gtx 1060 also runs at 2100 Mhz which is a high overclock IIRC.
You know what I feel? This game is not designed for the majority of players. This is a game / It was a game designed for the future. I dug up my Crysis 1 and installed it; played it and never want to stop coz it was so good the plot of the story...yet I just get average 70 FPS at VERY HIGH.

I DO NOT understand why game developers tend to make their products so demanding on hardware resources. Can't they optimize their codings...forgive my whinning...just because my new build cant cater for a game I love so much

I am so unhappy lately because I cannot get 60+ FPS from Crysis 3. I believe that my PowerColor Radeon RX 570 8GB is such a poweful card and Ryzen 5 3400G being a matching pair with the grphics board, can't bear to see Crysis 3 running below 60+ FPS. I have no problems with other titles like BF 1, PUBG and Fortnite.

Is that all Crysis Episodes are CPU-intensive games? Isn't it using the good old Quake engine? Supposingly a less demanding engine...

The 3400G is a replacement of my previous 1600. Should I upgrade the 3400G to 3600X to get to 60 FPS in Crysis 3? I am a die-hard fan of the Crysis series (except Crysis 2 though), it's such a thrill to immerse yourself into that vibrant and blood boiling environment. But this 3400G serves me just for a little less than 3 months, should I get a Intel 9900K for making some room to overclock as needed because Crysis 4 is coming... anyone can contribute some recommendations?
If you are going to upgrade, get the R5 3600 for higher fps and smoother average fps. The R5 3600 can reach the same overclock as the 3600X and they are pretty much the same at that point. Overclock if you are on a B450/X470/X570 motherboard. If you only have one memory module, buy a second of the same model or buy a new 3200-3600Mhz 2x8GB kit if it's faster than what you have. Upgrade the videocard if you have the money and your power supply is at least 550watt

Sep 22, 2019
What video settings are you trying to play at?

Very High / Ultra ALWAYS incurs a stark performance penalty compared to high without much noticeable visual improvement, no matter what game.

Crisis 3 also has some insane tesselation issues on Very High and/or Ultra. Here's an article which shows that there's water being generated in many scenes, even below solid ground where you can't see it. That's why it still shows up in reviews as one of a few of the most demanding games available today.

Have you tried overclocking your CPU?
I learnt a bit tessellation back in uni days, I took the computer graphics paper then. No wonder it is such a resource hog, at first I thought it's the CPU only, now it explains why ggfx cards is also accounted for the overall FPS!

Damn why I fall in love with such a difficult game. I mean, when I first play Crysis 1, I said to myself "wait for the next gen of CPU and Graphics card. Now I should say "wait for 10 gen Intel CPU and 4080Ti!! Why can't the developer make the coding good for current hardware!?

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019
If you are going to upgrade, get the R5 3600 for higher fps and smoother average fps. The R5 3600 can reach the same overclock as the 3600X and they are pretty much the same at that point. Overclock if you are on a B450/X470/X570 motherboard. If you only have one memory module, buy a second of the same model or buy a new 3200-3600Mhz 2x8GB kit if it's faster than what you have. Upgrade the videocard if you have the money and your power supply is at least 550watt

I have to sell off my CPU and every other thing first then LOL!

I didn't know 3200 is a choice coz everyone is saying that 3000 Mhz is where the sweet spot ??

I'll definitely upgrade my RX 570. Quite a few times now, that the screen suddenly freezes with checker pattern and turns to blank screen after 45 seconds, is that a sign that the video ram is damaged? A few days ago, I accidentally used the default fan curve and the card's temp went up to 85C for maybe a minute or two...

I would get a new be quiet! 750W, playing safe.

I have to sell off my CPU and every other thing first then LOL!

I didn't know 3200 is a choice coz everyone is saying that 3000 Mhz is where the sweet spot ??

I'll definitely upgrade my RX 570. Quite a few times now, that the screen suddenly freezes with checker pattern and turns to blank screen after 45 seconds, is that a sign that the video ram is damaged? A few days ago, I accidentally used the default fan curve and the card's temp went up to 85C for maybe a minute or two...

I would get a new be quiet! 750W, playing safe.
3000mhz was the "sweet" spot for Ryzen 2000 series, but 3600-3800 is the sweet spot for Ryzen 3000 series. 3000mhz is fine though I wouldnt bother upgrading it.

Reactions: sine30degree
The 3200G is NOT a 7nm Ryzen 2 CPU like the IGP-less 3000 series chips. Even if it were, the RAM and infinity fabric are now decoupled.
But yes, the OP's 3000MHz kit is not worth replacing.
Actually, thinking about it now, I think I got myself confused on that. Mostly because of ram pricing being higher when Ryzen 2000 series came out and not to do with best speed ram you could use with it. Most people I dealt with that were building new Ryzen 2000 series systems were always looking for 2933/3000mhz ram because of the price.

Sep 22, 2019
The 3200G is NOT a 7nm Ryzen 2 CPU like the IGP-less 3000 series chips. Even if it were, the RAM and infinity fabric are now decoupled.
But yes, the OP's 3000MHz kit is not worth replacing.
If majority of games cannot reach 60 or 60+ I will no doubt immediately replace it.
As like many others out there, I use the rig for gaming mainly. So that 60+ is a MUST to achieve.

Sep 22, 2019
I have a feeling that the 9600K has many similarities with 3570K many years back. It is not a powerful chip, but becoz of being unlocked, it has a great potential to overclock. And all R5 APUs are over-clockable, the reason I don't overclock it is because my MEM stick seems to be holding me back, I can never go over 5% of voltage to the CPU. Any clue? Should I replace my mobo as well LOL

When did we start discussing the i5-9600K or i5-3570K?
You've got an X570 mobo that you just bought, why would you choose to jump to Intel? It's unfortunate that you "side-graded" from a Ryzen 1600 to a 3200G (and bought a new mobo you probably didn't need), but there's no need to further hemorrhage money on shotgun decisions. The only thing you haven't mentioned replacing yet is your case or SSD (hopefully you're not running the OS on a HDD). We need to focus on what's causing the problem, not "spray-and-pray".

I'm very confused with this whole conversation. You yourself linked a video of a Ryzen 2200G (which is worse than your 3400G) and an RX570 4GB running Crysis 3 @ 70+FPS on high settings. Are you insinuating that your rig is failing to match that at the same settings?

sine30degree said:
Quite a few times now, that the screen suddenly freezes with checker pattern and turns to blank screen after 45 seconds
I think this is what you/we need to focus on.
This is an easy test to start right away: test your RAM on Prime95 Blend test for 24 hours (doing one stick at a time goes faster). If a stick of RAM is faulty, the kit should be RMA'd. (RMA = free warranty replacement from the manufacturer)

sine30degree said:
A few days ago, I accidentally used the default fan curve and the card's temp went up to 85C for maybe a minute or two...
Your RX570 doesn't need to be upgraded, but it may need to be RMA'd if it's defective and the system RAM is fine. Please elaborate on your "non-default" fan curve. 85C is certainly high, but the card will throttle its frequency down to avoid temps that are damaging. That may very well be the reason you're not getting the FPS you're expecting. Have you monitored your GPU frequency while in-game or under load?

Last edited:
Reactions: dudeman509