[SOLVED] Cryorig C7 + i7 4790 (non-k) High Temp

triyadi80

Commendable
Jun 17, 2018
Hi All,

I have Cryorig C7 fan cooler paired up with i7 4790, and my pc is an itx system, using Silverstone SG13 case.
During full load (intel xtu stress test or even in gaming) the temp is always hit over 95c, idle is about 45-55c.

Now i downclocked the cpu (using windows power option menu) to 3.2ghz to maintained the temp under 85c in full load :(.

Is that normal scenario on i7 haswell processor? or should i get a new cpu cooler/ thermal paste?
i want to try to undervolt the cpu, but i seems that the core voltage in my xty is non editable, tried throttlestop once, but i found it little bit complicated to use.

Need an insights from you guys.

Thanks
*ps: i live in tropical country

Specs:
i7 4790 (non k)
Cryorig C7
Kingston Ram Dual 8gb
Gigabyte Gtx 1070 mini
Seagate 3.5 HD 7200
SSD Adata SU900 512gb
SSD WD Blue 512gb
Fractal Design R3 Silent 120mm fan as intake (front panel).
Be Quite U9 400W ATX non modular PSU
Silverstone SG13

Last edited:
Solution
So around Singapore - Philippines?
Lets see... ahh ah heck, Partpicker only has Newegg links for that region.
This'll take a bit...

Air
Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev B. or Big Shuriken 3
ID-Cooling IS-60 or IS-47K
Reeven Steropes

Hybrid
Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 120
Cooler Master Masterliquid ML120L V2
Corsair H60

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The Cryorig C7 isn't adequate for the i7-4790's Turbo Boost, and you're forced to disable Turbo Boost. That's all that's really going on here.
The Cryorig C7 is designed for up to, but not exactly 100w of heat.
The i7-4790 is an 84w part - before Turbo Boost. With Turbo Boost, it easily exceeds 100w under loads.

triyadi80

Commendable
Jun 17, 2018
The Cryorig C7 isn't adequate for the i7-4790's Turbo Boost, and you're forced to disable Turbo Boost. That's all that's really going on here.
The Cryorig C7 is designed for up to, but not exactly 100w of heat.
The i7-4790 is an 84w part - before Turbo Boost. With Turbo Boost, it easily exceeds 100w under loads.

do you have a suggestion on other low profile air cooling fan brand that able to handle the heat?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
This'll take a bit...

Air
Reeven Steropes

Hybrid
Corsair H60

Solution

triyadi80

Commendable
Jun 17, 2018
This'll take a bit...

Air
Reeven Steropes

Hybrid
Corsair H60

Thanks man, yes indo is located around singapore/philipines.
is that ID-Cooling really a good brand? i found plenty of it in my local marketplace.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Not surprised that it is.
They're one of the popular brands in that region - not so much over here in the US, due to all the bigshots that are already present; it's harder to make an impression when a market is already flooded with other brands.

You'd have to ask around, or check reviews - if any were posted.
There have been threads on this site asking about the ID-Cooling brand before, but due to the members mostly being based out of America, there's not much feedback, if at all.

triyadi80

Commendable
Jun 17, 2018
Not surprised that it is.
They're one of the popular brands in that region - not so much over here in the US, due to all the bigshots that are already present; it's harder to make an impression when a market is already flooded with other brands.

You'd have to ask around, or check reviews - if any were posted.
There have been threads on this site asking about the ID-Cooling brand before, but due to the members mostly being based out of America, there's not much feedback, if at all.

i see. thank you so much, you've been very helpful.
perhaps i might also will take a look at big shuriken 3,
but since my psu is an atx psu im not quite sure if it's gonna fit on my pc case.
will asking around to the others silverstone sg13 owner forum.

thanks!

triyadi80

Commendable
Jun 17, 2018
This'll take a bit...

Air
Reeven Steropes

Hybrid
Corsair H60

at the end i go with id-cooling is-47k
replace the fan with noctua 92mm chroma black, and artic mx-4 thermal paste.
my temp now is 75-80 at intel xtu cpu benchmark.

thank you so much!

Reactions: Phaaze88

yogagogga

Honorable
Apr 10, 2018
at the end i go with id-cooling is-47k
replace the fan with noctua 92mm chroma black, and artic mx-4 thermal paste.
my temp now is 75-80 at intel xtu cpu benchmark.

thank you so much!

You might want to look up Noctua's NH-L9i low profile cpu air cooler, it's probably the best slim air cooler available for your case. Its height is only at 37mm too, so it should work well even with an ATX-sized PSU in the Sg13 case.

You can find many vendors selling it on Tokopedia, i know so because I'm also Indonesian and have been doing research on the most efficient air coolers for that specific case.

Adam65

Great
Nov 29, 2020
Dark X90 (around 10 bucks) If anyone looking for a cooler for their 4670K, 4770K. This is the cheapest and best for its price, maintains my CPU clocked to 4.5 ghz 1.240W at 70- 80 degrees, stock gives me 50-60 degrees, and at idle, 30 degrees
My cpu is I5 4670K btw. If youre low on budget this is the one

triyadi80

Commendable
Jun 17, 2018
You might want to look up Noctua's NH-L9i low profile cpu air cooler, it's probably the best slim air cooler available for your case. Its height is only at 37mm too, so it should work well even with an ATX-sized PSU in the Sg13 case.

You can find many vendors selling it on Tokopedia, i know so because I'm also Indonesian and have been doing research on the most efficient air coolers for that specific case.

good to see fellow indonesian.
thanks man, i know noctua is a good brand.
maybe someday i will get that noctua, but right now im pretty satisfy with is-47k. the temp is around 67-70c-ish during heavy gaming.

triyadi80

Commendable
Jun 17, 2018
Dark X90 (around 10 bucks) If anyone looking for a cooler for their 4670K, 4770K. This is the cheapest and best for its price, maintains my CPU clocked to 4.5 ghz 1.240W at 70- 80 degrees, stock gives me 50-60 degrees, and at idle, 30 degrees
My cpu is I5 4670K btw. If youre low on budget this is the one

i believe that is not a low profile fan, so it will not fit to silverstone sg13 case.
but thanks for your suggestion. learned something new everyday!

yogagogga

Honorable
Apr 10, 2018
good to see fellow indonesian.
thanks man, i know noctua is a good brand.
maybe someday i will get that noctua, but right now im pretty satisfy with is-47k. the temp is around 67-70c-ish during heavy gaming.

Im curious though, how's the clearance between the is-47k and your ATX PSU? isn't it too narrow? I'm honestly quite amazed that the cooler can keep the temps at 67-70 C. And how did you mount your PSU, are the fans facing the cooler or facing the mesh wall on top of the case?

I'm asking this because I've been considering building a "semi portable" gaming rig with similar components as yours in a few months since i'm planning to travel around the Java island quite a lot.

triyadi80

Commendable
Jun 17, 2018
Im curious though, how's the clearance between the is-47k and your ATX PSU? isn't it too narrow? I'm honestly quite amazed that the cooler can keep the temps at 67-70 C. And how did you mount your PSU, are the fans facing the cooler or facing the mesh wall on top of the case?

I'm asking this because I've been considering building a "semi portable" gaming rig with similar components as yours in a few months since i'm planning to travel around the Java island quite a lot.

i think the clearance is about around 2.5-3cm, and my psu is facing down.
is-47k fan orientation is pushed the air up, then the psu can sucked the air out of the case..