Crysis 2 DX11 Patch Released

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Check it out:
http://www.geforce.com/#/News/articles/crysis-2-directx-11-ultra-upgrade
Several new DX11 features, as well as a new texture pack. Looks like it will rival Metro. I bet it takes a 580 to run well.

Features:
Tesselation & Displacement Mapping
Parallax Occlusion Mapping
Water Volume & Ocean Improvements
Realistic Shadows with Variable Penumbra
Full HDR Motion Blur
Particle Motion Blur & Shadowing
Sprite-Based Bokeh Depth of Field
Screen Space Direct Occlusion & Contact Shadows
Realtime Local Reflections
High Resolution Textures (4x original resolution)

::ahem:: from what i gather, alot of users talk about optimization.... the beauty of being a PC gamer means we do our own optimization. Console users have games optimized for them depending on how the developer wants the game to run. We on the other hand have a great resource at our fingertips, yet complain about a game that wont run at max because of optimization? tweak the settings for christs sake, because thats what optimizing is about.

celpas

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010

http://www.geforce.com/#/News/articles/crysis-2-directx-11-ultra-upgrade

Everything you need to know about the dx 11 patch and what it does in game

celpas

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
I just downloaded the high rez textures and tried them but I can't see any difference whatsoever.The textures still look like crap when zoomed in but according to evga precision the game is using 1300 MB out of the 1.8 gb vram my gtx 275 has and thats just at 1680X1050.Nowhere near metro 2033,witcher and even crysis warhead (which had even more low rez textures than the original crysis) The real joke is the fact that inspite of all the settings in the game the game looks exactly the same on low and ultra settings except that the game looks a bit blurred on max.Funnily enough after applying this high rez mod I am getting jagged edges all over the place.They were not there before.Did the y accidentally turn off anti aliasing?

celpas

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010

Is Anti aliasing a dx 11 feature?I can't see any option for anti aliasing anywhere.I am ready to turn my settings down to extreme to turn on AA

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

well some people here believe that when a game pushes hardware to the limit it means "dirty code", "unoptimized code", "the da vinci code". that's like saying picasso is a bad artist because he never did get to paint a "real" human properly.

from what i've seen so far, crytek couldve used all those advanced reflections as part of gameplay.

the world would be a better place if devs would ditch unreal 3 and start paying attention to cryengine even on dx9.

celpas

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010

CRYENGINE 3 is crap.IMHO cryengine 2 is the best engine on the planet.I have seen what modders can do with cryengine 2 and cryengine 3 won't even come close to its potential

I am not sure about the textures, but at least the most noticeable difference between Extreme and Ultra requires a DX11 card with a DX11 OS. If you don't have both a DX11 card and OS, it will not give you the awesome new effects. This is why you don't see a difference.

celpas

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010

I may have misunderstood you but ultra preset does not require dx 11.And if it was same to the extreme preset why bother giving the option on non dx 11 cards?

I do not know why they offer it, but the Ultra options have tessellation ,ambient occlusion and other DX11 only features applied to them.

At least in the DX11 enabled version.

celpas

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010

tessellation is a dx 11 feature but ambient occlusion is there on all presets.Just type r_ssao in the console .I still think that the effects are just hyped around dx 11.If they exploited dx 9 similarly they could reproduce some of those effects even in dx 9.POM can be implemented in dx 9 like in crysis and metro but they coded it Just for dx 11.Just look at the advanced graphical features metro supports even in dx 9.IMHO they are trying to hype dx 11 just like they hyped dx 10 in the original crysis.They put a artificial lock on the very high option when they could have made it available in dx 9 which was later proved

Just stop there. Clearly you haven't seen it in DX11 yet. Until you have, you really should just keep quiet.

Metro2033 and Crysis 1 did not have anything remotely the same as POM (or maybe displacement mapping is what I'm seeing in the comparisons and in game) is in Crysis 2. I'm sure they did their best to replicate it, but they aren't anywhere near the same. Not even close. (I've played all 3 recently).

Edit: Although it would have been possible for Metro 2033 to have POM, due to it being a DX11 game (which you are missing out on different effects as well), I did not see any tile, cobblestone, or brick come to life as it was done in some of Crysis 2 (not all of these surfaces are changed, but a lot are). Although, when I look at the comparisons, they are showing both displacement mapping and POM. The tessellation and displacement mapping may be the part that is unparalleled, and again, not visible without DX11.

OK. Well my problem was crysis 2 in dx11 didnt like my gpu's overclock so I had to bump it down for stable play.
1920x1080, ultra, dx11, hi-res textures, disabled motion blur (didnt affect performance)

Here's a screenie... The only fault I can find is my weapon has no shadow :D

24pe0p2.jpg

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

in your opinion from a single player standpoint how is Crysis 2 Compaired to Crysis 1? It looks great now but the first one was over to fast and left me wanting more? I dont like multiplayer because I suck lol and getting smashed on by 12 year olds triggers my temper :fou:

I never played crysis 1 long enough to finish. I played up to about the first sign of aliens. I think I enjoyed crysis 2 more b/c some suit powers are automatic like the strength. I'm going thru the game again on the 4th difficulty level, called human warrior or something... if that helps any.

Edit: I'm probably the worst person to judge a game. I'm very fickle. My playtime is so sporadic I just finished the 1st run-thru of crysis 2 yesterday. I got it on release day. I finished mass effect and got bored of me2. i got bored of dragon age. i finished need for speed most wanted, got bored of hot pursuit. i also suck extremely bad and dont mess around with multiplayer very often. i could probably win an award for suckiest gamer ever.

I suppose I could that at some points in crysis 2 i was trying to clear the field of all the enemies like a true killer. I kept dying then it dawned on me. i just ran past them all to the next check point lol... I'd say the single player mode is quite lengthy and satisfying by today's standards. Ninja Gaiden on the NES it is not rofl