Crysis 2 Performance Previewed And Analyzed

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shindre

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
I do not see why you people are bitches on Crysis 2. the Developers made the game so we can play it on average videos. The game is great and much improve over warhead with was a damn good game.

PC enthusiasts want to be able to play on hight settings with is available and play with their friends who are not(low settings). Further more the game supports LAN!, with is what all real PC enthusiasts want.

i mean you guys only played the demo geez

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Why would you want screenshot comparisons... to test the difference between NVIDIA and AMD hardware?

It's a preview... I'd be more interested in AA tests. I'm sure Don is working on it.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Whilst I admit it'd be excellent seeing a much better looking game on the PC, you still run the risk of cutting out a large number of the player base simply because they don't possess the relevant hardware with which to run it. However, they've said they're bringing out a DirectX11 patch so they're obviously planning on tarting it up for PC gamers.

As it stands, if the 6870 couldn't run Crysis 2 comfortably in DirectX9 settings, I'd be a little concerned, however from what I hear, neither of the console ports are even 720p anyway.

I downloaded the demo, logged into the game to find no hosted games available. After refreshing numerous times and going in and out of the logon I was finally able to find a game but to my displeasure I found it said the game was full even when the player que was 7/12.

Maybe they were working on the server, who knows. All I can say it that it was a HUGE letdown to not be able to give the demo a test run!...

bstm300

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
[citation][nom]scrumworks[/nom]Even if I don't care about the game it's nice to see my HD5770 beats GTX550.[/citation]

Major FAIL! As many other people astutely observe here, the pc version will be in DX9. The DX11 update won't be made available until god knows when in the future. Until then, please try to do a little bit of research before posting comments like this.

bstm300

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
[citation][nom]bstm300[/nom]Major FAIL! As many other people astutely observe here, the pc version will be in DX9. The DX11 update won't be made available until god knows when in the future. Until then, please try to do a little bit of research before posting comments like this.[/citation]

I was actually referring to Nesto1000's earlier comment. :(

Ondoval

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I didn't like the changes in the controls, the suit or the gameplay, but the ranking system/persistent stats was a demanded addition.

The controls were bad; the game has mouse delay and mouse acceleration at default, with no option to disable both, which means that if you don't known how to edit the console commands your crosshair will suffer a 1/3 second delay in any move your mouse perform (I played it wit a Razer Mamba and a Saitek R.A.T. 9, both 5.600 dpi mouses).

The framerrate is nice and smooth (played it in a U2711 at 2560 x 1440, average of 33 fps in hardcore, my rig is powered by a i720, 5870, 6GB DDR 1600 mhz under W7 64 Ultimate), but the TAA is terrible, the HDR and motion blur so excessive as obtrusive and the image quality and wireframe aren't as good as in Crysis Wars (which also supports 20 more players and vehicles in the screen, over huge maps).

I wasn't impressed by the demo, Crysis Wars and other games as Bad Company 2 or even BLOPS had better IQ with higher performance and deeper gameplay, IMO. The lack of customizable settings is a shame, honestly.

sgtmattbaker

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
I think I agree with stiehl about Crysis 2. The first game, while not perfect, was still good and it looked great. Crysis 2 doesn't look as good to me and I don't like what they've done with the nanosuit controls, whether you want to call it consolizing them or not. I don't like automatically using suit energy to jump, and they changed the selection wheel also (at least for the demo). We don't know about the graphical options for the final version either: will the PC have detailed options or will it have the three presets like the demo?
I am still going to wait and see what everyone says about the game when it comes out, but I am not expecting anything extraordinary right now. If it turns out to be overly consolized I won't buy it. $60 is far too much to spend on a mediocre version of what it could have been. I may still rent it for the console though.
If all these companies keep making consolized PC titles (I'm not saying port because as I understand it, Crysis 2 isn't really a port; it was made for the PC but designed in such a way [gameplay mechanics, etc.] so that it could be converted the xbox and ps3 through their CryEngine3 development platform) the amount of gaming that I do is going to diminish
significantly. I will become even more judicious regarding what games I get. Perhaps if people that play PC games just refused to buy PC games that were consolized (and let the industry know that is why, maybe an open letter or something) then they will start making games in such a way as to take advantage of the unique gaming feel the PC platform has.

snoogins

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]People saying this game plays like CoD have either not played the demo, or not played CoD. Yes, some of the outlying features are the same (levels, killstreaks, and loadouts), but the CORE gameplay, the important part, is VERY different.CoD is a very slow, "campy" type of game. Playing aggressively in CoD is still pretty passive gameplay compared to, say, battlefield. Crysis 2, on the other hand, is very run-and-gun friendly. Where movement in CoD is slow and deliberate, Crysis 2 is fast-paced and hectic. In CoD, killstreaks are king. In Crysis 2 they're useful, but they're not going to win the game for you.The tactical elements of Crysis 2 are much deeper than those in CoD. Just by looking at how easy the game is to get used to makes this perfectly clear. I haven't met anyone who did amazing, or even truly enjoyed, Crysis 2 for their first couple games. It's just hard to get used to. There's a lot to take in. At the other end of the spectrum, any bimbo that can pick up a controller can do well at CoD.Both games are fun and good in their own ways, for their own reasons. Crysis 2 in NOT a CoD clone. I can't possibly stress this enough.In CoD, I consistently get kills in the upper 20s in TDM and prestiged 7 times in as many days played - well above average. How do you do well in CoD? You pick a spot overwatching a heavily trafficked area and lock it down. You "camp" a large section of the map.In the Crysis 2 demo, I had a 3.5 KDR and on day 3 (right before I got sucked back into life), I had the highest SPM of the top 25 - making me arguably the best player in the world at that time (Pics or it didn't happen). How do you do well on Crysis? You run-n-gun. You never stop running around the map. You bring the fight to the enemies. You get shot first but still turn around and kill them. The people I see trying to use CoD tactics I also see at the bottom of the scoreboards. They are not the same game.Crysis 2 in NOT a CoD clone. I can't possibly stress this enough.[/citation]

LOL, COD being a slow game? Have you played the last two iterations of COD?

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I do see how people can say that this feels alot like COD in some points, but it is still very fun and addictive. Also, the console is a port of the PC version! The developers said so themselves... They were making it first for the PC, THEN porting to console. The only reason why this was able to be made for consoles in the first place was because this game takes place in NYC as opposed to a massive island!(Tall buildings obscuring view=LESS RENDERING!) I have personally played both 360 and PC versions and (even with DX9) I have to say that the graphics are VERY different!
I'm betting the only reason they are not working on DX11 right away is to get the DX9 version ready as it pertains to BOTH console AND PC. Once the console version is up and running I bet they will be hard at work on the DX11.
I just hope that they are going to have the 460SLI bug FIXED as I did NOT buy this second GPU for nothing! Hell...if I had known I would have spent the extra money on the 580!
Also, more maps packs! I HATED that MW2 packs for 360 took so long to come out. I never even got them as I moved on from the game before they released...

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I wonder if the first guy who created thought to himself, "This is going to be a great way for people to complain about things!!!"

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]bstm300[/nom]Major FAIL! As many other people astutely observe here, the pc version will be in DX9. The DX11 update won't be made available until god knows when in the future. Until then, please try to do a little bit of research before posting comments like this.[/citation]

I see those results pretty clearly from the graphs. HD5770 is faster than GTX550. That's the only research I have to do. I think I just hit one nvidiot in the nuts which is always a pleasure.

brendonmc

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
I for one played the demo (a lot) and thought it was fantastic. The graphics are simply unmatched and seem smoother and more detailed than the original.
Crysis 2 will be the 'magnum' we've been waiting for.

Status
Not open for further replies.