Crysis 2 Performance Previewed And Analyzed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I still have to download their demo....but so far, everyone is saying its a let down. (perhaps copying CoD?)But its nice to see hardware performance. however its Dx9.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
As for the game to be run on mainstream cards, I have to say that the graphics in Crysis 2 aren't much better than the first one. The major thing about Cryengine 3 is that it is multi-platform, but visually, the two games are not too far apart. Current mainstream cards are at least 2-3 times faster than 8800 Ultra, so that answers question of the game running so well.

stiehl

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
Crysis 2 is already the most disappointing game of 2011. Subpar graphics, console port and that the multiplayer is a dumbed down copy of COD multiplayer all make this game something to scoff at. The fact crytek has the audacity to release a dx9 game instead of dx11 baffles me. I don't understand how PC enthusiasts such as toms can enjoy this game!

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]As for the game to be run on mainstream cards, I have to say that the graphics in Crysis 2 aren't much better than the first one. The major thing about Cryengine 3 is that it is multi-platform, but visually, the two games are not too far apart. Current mainstream cards are at least 2-3 times faster than 8800 Ultra, so that answers question of the game running so well.[/citation]
Actually, a 8800GTX is more or less equal to a 9800GTX, and the 5770 = 9800GTX+/GTS250, so the slight improvements means a 5770 (mainstream today) is only say 10-20% better instead of 2-3 times.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]I still have to download their demo....but so far, everyone is saying its a let down. (perhaps copying CoD?)But its nice to see hardware performance. however its Dx9.[/citation]
You should dl it. I really liked it. I'm an avid FPS player, everything from CS/quake/unreal/cod/battlefield. The stealth suit's powers are really fun to play with an adds a tactical aspect to the game. The only similarity i see with cod is getting X kills and you can do a radar sweep/call down gunship. Thing is though, its much harder to reach a 7 kill streak in this game (for gunship), so you rarely ever see the higher call downs, I usually only get 3 kills streak for the radar sweep. I honestly dunno why ppl are saying the demo's bad.

footsoldier

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
[citation][nom]nesto1000[/nom]Are you an idiot? Crysis 2 is coming out in DX11... The demo was in DX11 ffs...Dam trolls/idiots piss me off...[/citation]

Please, u didn't read? The demo was in DX9...

stiehl

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
Are you an idiot? Crysis 2 is coming out in DX11... The demo was in DX11 ffs...
Dam trolls/idiots piss me off...

LOL BE PREPARED TO BE OWNED

In an interview with crytek developers

"Die Demo lief wie erwähnt unter DirectX 9, die Cryengine 3 beherrscht aber auch DirectX 10 und 11 und wird in einigen Monaten mit DX11-Support an Lizenznehmer ausgeliefert."

I am sure you can put that through a translator (basically demo is in dx9 and crytek will add dx11 later as a patch)

SOURCE: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,768480/Crysis-2-Alles-ueber-DirectX-11-3D-ohne-Leistungsverlust-und-8-Kern-Optimierung/Action-Spiel/News/

And from another interview from IGN

"Regarding DirectX 11 support, which would allow for more advanced graphical effects, Camarillo said, "Crysis 2 will support DirectX 11 but we'll talk more about that in the future. There's an announcement coming soon about that." "

SOURCE: http://pc.ign.com/articles/115/1153248p1.html

And from a swedish source

"At a presentation before the launch of Nvidia's new graphics card in the GeForce 500-series revealed that Crysis 2 initially will not include support for DirectX 11. Instead, the PC gamers had to make do with the six year old DX9......According to Nvidia the developers promises to include a DX11 mode in a future update."

SOURCE: http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/13594-crysis-2-endast-dx9-dx11-kommer-senare

From do gaming

"Gamers looking to get Crysis 2 on the PC will need to put up with the console disadvantage for a while as the PC version will only be shipping with DirectX 9. "

SOURCE: http://gaming.do.co.za/articles/news/crysis_2_with_directx_9.htm

Chances they will add directx11 as a patch later - 50% in my book
Chances the patch will actually make the game look better - 10%

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]nesto1000[/nom]Are you an idiot? Crysis 2 is coming out in DX11... The demo was in DX11 ffs...Dam trolls/idiots piss me off...[/citation]
Wow you sound really confident there, even to the extent of calling someone else, better informed, an idiot. Given the 5 minutes of research you're probably now conducting after the fact, confirming that the Crysis 2 demo along with the final shipping version of the game will in fact be DX9 only (at least initially), don't you feel like a bit of an... well, I won't say it.

stiehl

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
[citation][nom]aznguy0028[/nom]You should dl it. I really liked it. I'm an avid FPS player, everything from CS/quake/unreal/cod/battlefield. The stealth suit's powers are really fun to play with an adds a tactical aspect to the game. The only similarity i see with cod is getting X kills and you can do a radar sweep/call down gunship. Thing is though, its much harder to reach a 7 kill streak in this game (for gunship), so you rarely ever see the higher call downs, I usually only get 3 kills streak for the radar sweep. I honestly dunno why ppl are saying the demo's bad.[/citation]

level system = cod
kill cam = cod
load outs = cod
medals = cod
xp system = cod
spawn system = cod
level design = cod
kill streaks = cod

if you disregard the different graphic styles, crysis 2 and cod are the exact same multiplayer game except for one difference. A nanosuit.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I really like this type of performance review, and prefer it to the canned benchmarks!

Here it's hands on, experience based, results telling what's actually playable and what's not.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
There's a couple of things to note about the performance of the GF114 and 116 cards. With Gamer settings, the framerate plummets when going from 1024 to 1680 far more than it does with the older GF104-enabled 460. Also, I suspect that strange memory setup on the 550 hampers it in Advanced settings as the major drop off is when you go from 1680 to 1920, whereas it's a more linear drop-off with the Radeon cards, thus allowing the 5770 a little glory for a change.

It's also worth noting that the Crossfired 6850s actually start to help when you really start throwing work at them, notably 1680 Advanced and higher. It's a small boost, but it's there. The behaviour with the SLi'd 460s is odd considering this is a TWIMTBP title but I'm sure it'll be fixed very soon.

The 560 just eats Crysis 2 up, very impressive. I do know now that my old 4830 will never handle this game. :p If NVIDIA can bring out more efficient cards to replace these with the next refresh, I may just be on the lookout for one.

Please note, the final Hardcore graph says 1920x1800. Other than that :p , very good article.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]stiehl[/nom]LOL BE PREPARED TO BE OWNEDIn an interview with crytek developers"Die Demo lief wie erwähnt unter DirectX 9, die Cryengine 3 beherrscht aber auch DirectX 10 und 11 und wird in einigen Monaten mit DX11-Support an Lizenznehmer ausgeliefert."I am sure you can put that through a translator (basically demo is in dx9 and crytek will add dx11 later as a patch)SOURCE: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid, [...] piel/News/And from another interview from IGN "Regarding DirectX 11 support, which would allow for more advanced graphical effects, Camarillo said, "Crysis 2 will support DirectX 11 but we'll talk more about that in the future. There's an announcement coming soon about that." "SOURCE: http://pc.ign.com/articles/115/1153248p1.htmlAnd from a swedish source"At a presentation before the launch of Nvidia's new graphics card in the GeForce 500-series revealed that Crysis 2 initially will not include support for DirectX 11. Instead, the PC gamers had to make do with the six year old DX9......According to Nvidia the developers promises to include a DX11 mode in a future update."SOURCE: http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/1 [...] mer-senareFrom do gaming"Gamers looking to get Crysis 2 on the PC will need to put up with the console disadvantage for a while as the PC version will only be shipping with DirectX 9. "SOURCE: http://gaming.do.co.za/articles/ne [...] ectx_9.htmChances they will add directx11 as a patch later - 50% in my bookChances the patch will actually make the game look better - 10%[/citation]

chances that dx11 implementation will put less stress on a gpu - pretty damn good.
[citation][nom]stiehl[/nom]Crysis 2 is already the most disappointing game of 2011. Subpar graphics, console port and that the multiplayer is a dumbed down copy of COD multiplayer all make this game something to scoff at. The fact crytek has the audacity to release a dx9 game instead of dx11 baffles me. I don't understand how PC enthusiasts such as toms can enjoy this game![/citation]

probably because GRAPHICS DONT MAKE A GAME GOOD. this one has pretty graphics, but gameplay~=~controls>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>graphics.

dx9 is still REALY good for what it is. dx 10 did VERY LITTLE that dx9 couldn't fake and dx11 does some useful things that dx9 cant fake, but over all, dx11 (in full) is still impassible to run on "standndard" computers (1920x1080 with 1 gpu)

you know what game sells the best? the one you can run.

stiehl

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]chances that dx11 implementation will put less stress on a gpu - pretty damn good. probably because GRAPHICS DONT MAKE A GAME GOOD. this one has pretty graphics, but gameplay~=~controls>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>graphics. dx9 is still REALY good for what it is. dx 10 did VERY LITTLE that dx9 couldn't fake and dx11 does some useful things that dx9 cant fake, but over all, dx11 (in full) is still impassible to run on "standndard" computers (1920x1080 with 1 gpu)you know what game sells the best? the one you can run.[/citation]

Crysis gameplay was subpar to begin with. Very few people played crysis for the gameplay (I know I didn't). The reason crysis is so popular is because of its lasting impression in the graphics department. So, I expected crysis 2 to be a similar venture into the world of "most demanding game ever" and for crytek to gets its act together and make a game thats longer than 4 hours with good gameplay/story. Instead, I got a game with terrible graphics and a carbon copy multiplayer of another game. Maybe the single-player campaign will redeem this game, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

cRACKmONKEY421

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
EVGA has a SLI profile update for Crysis 2. It's been out at since March 1st. But maybe it doesn't count because it's not official from nVidia? I have EVGA cards anyway--so it's official to me, but I'm sure gains are similar for any brand anyway.. I noticed a huge performance gain. http://www.evga.com/articles/00463/

Status
Not open for further replies.