Crytek Wants to Transition to be Completely F2P

Status
Not open for further replies.

axelb

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
I kinda like it, as long as we don't need to spend more money than on a retail game to be geared up enough to compete with everyone, it seems fine! What people tend to forget when they play a Free2Play game is the money developers need, that's why a pay-to-win isn't that bad.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]volkov956[/nom]Then u wont have any of my money or time is all i can say[/citation]

the entire industry is moving towards this system in 10 years time. what will you do then?

Estix

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Here's the thing - "Free To Play" always implies "No Single Player"

Crytek's games have, in my opinion, had great single-player and mediocre multiplayer.

Transitioning to F2P means they won't be investing resources into single-player, and the quality of the games will suffer, I believe.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
F2P... Now there's something I'm not looking forward to at all.

I'd much rather buy my game complete than have to constantly shell out $5-10 for features and add-ons that should have been there in the first place. I literally can not think of anything more annoying than to have to stop pre- or mid-game and use real money to buy weapons or maps to use.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]alvasummers20pc[/nom]what Deborah responded I'm taken by surprise that a mom able to profit $6656 in one month on the computer. have you seen this page http://Bing30.com[/citation]

Yeah your mom made a profit of $6656 but believe me it wasn't from that kind of website ;)

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
That will actually hurt my wallet more. Thing to remember is that PC games usually go on dirt cheap sales after about a year of release. I usually only pay $5 or more and RARELY buy a game on release. With F2P model, it doesn't matter how old the game is, they will definitely get more than $5 from you by the time you buy certain items within the game just to play on level with everyone else. They win in the long run. It sucks but I'll just have to take it because I wont stop playing video games.

On the other hand, it will be nice to have a F2P model for those games I just want to try out. This gives me an opportunity to play so many more games and if I dont like it, dont buy any of the items. We win on that front.

It's a give / take model.

fkr

Splendid
free to play is a good model implemented poorly.

f2p will stop piracy, this has to be good and if everybody is right it should drive down the price of games.

and as for implementing f2p they need to set up tiered based servers so the big spenders can play against each other and not have an advantage against others.

I also like the idea of games where i can pay 3 bucks a month to play, maybe more for the first month or 2 to get some things more quickly but after that a maintenance fee of 3 bucks is fair.

The-Darkening

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
[citation][nom]s3anister[/nom]Yeah your mom made a profit of $6656 but believe me it wasn't from that kind of website[/citation]

Don't quote that shit, please.

keyholder

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
[citation][nom]volkov956[/nom]Then u wont have any of my money or time is all i can say[/citation]

Yup ill second that.. as s3anister said, there will probably be options to upgrade, buy, add ons etc that will end up costing you more.. how else will they support the massive sever demands that will be required to implement this setup...im betting its a major move to stop piracy.

looks to me its just another crap cloud setup waiting to go wrong.. thanks but no thanks,, il stick to having the games on MY PC. & if the industry is attemping to move towards this then i shall simply sell my pc when the time comes!

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Id rather buy a full game than play against people with an advantage. the only F2P model that really works is the TF2 model and thats because premium costs just any purchase in store and TF2 has a massive economy with keys, and recently the auction house. Also agree with the point about F2P = no singleplayer. Im not interested in a game without a good story. just a personal opinion though.

The industry already IS doing this in the form of ridiculous DLC - including launch day DLC with content that by all means should be in the game. (I'd rather pay $40 for in-game content, as long as it's worth it, than I would pay $60 and then another $15 to get ALL of the game.)

Microgoliath

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Some people here need to go check how Guild Wars 2 / tera (both f2p, GW2 after buying the game ofc) in-game shop works. There is no pay2win, any game that has a p2w cash shop done the F2P model wrong.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Estix[/nom]Here's the thing - "Free To Play" always implies "No Single Player"Crytek's games have, in my opinion, had great single-player and mediocre multiplayer.Transitioning to F2P means they won't be investing resources into single-player, and the quality of the games will suffer, I believe.[/citation]
not really, i hear good things about their f2p game i believe its russia only right now though but is going into beta soon for NA

[citation][nom]s3anister[/nom]F2P... Now there's something I'm not looking forward to at all.I'd much rather buy my game complete than have to constantly shell out $5-10 for features and add-ons that should have been there in the first place. I literally can not think of anything more annoying than to have to stop pre- or mid-game and use real money to buy weapons or maps to use.[/citation]

play blacklight retrobution

see the problem with fps right now is they give you so little content for what you pay and than gouge you when you want a little more

free to play they cant do that, period.

and if any f2p game is worth playing they dont make it pay to win, but sadly most people dont even understand what pay to win even means anymore and apply it to any time you can buy something to help you.

the traditional fps model is going to die soon, because its just not profitable enough and few game keep going strong their whole lives.

what will happen is the multiplayer portion will be f2p and if you buy the game, you get bounous exp or a completely unlocked experience, while the f2p side keeps servers alive.

[citation][nom]deftonian[/nom]That will actually hurt my wallet more. Thing to remember is that PC games usually go on dirt cheap sales after about a year of release. I usually only pay $5 or more and RARELY buy a game on release. With F2P model, it doesn't matter how old the game is, they will definitely get more than $5 from you by the time you buy certain items within the game just to play on level with everyone else. They win in the long run. It sucks but I'll just have to take it because I wont stop playing video games.On the other hand, it will be nice to have a F2P model for those games I just want to try out. This gives me an opportunity to play so many more games and if I dont like it, dont buy any of the items. We win on that front.It's a give / take model.[/citation]

the thing is a good f2p game you never need to buy anything not cosmetic or a sidegrade.
no guns are clearly better than eachother, and the most you can get from buying things is an exp boost.

you also have to take into account that by the time most games hit that 5$ range, the multiplayer is dead. f2p keeps the multiplayer alive indefinitely.

[citation][nom]DarkSable[/nom]The industry already IS doing this in the form of ridiculous DLC - including launch day DLC with content that by all means should be in the game. (I'd rather pay $40 for in-game content, as long as it's worth it, than I would pay $60 and then another $15 to get ALL of the game.)[/citation]

people are shortsighted and dont see the big picture, and are only looking at very poor f2p games from korea and china and scream "OH GOD I WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR A GUN, WORLD OVER"

while anyone who thinks can see multiplayer portions of games HAVE to go f2p

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]DarkSable[/nom]The industry already IS doing this in the form of ridiculous DLC - including launch day DLC with content that by all means should be in the game. (I'd rather pay $40 for in-game content, as long as it's worth it, than I would pay $60 and then another $15 to get ALL of the game.)[/citation]
I know and am personally offended with how gamers on all platforms have allowed the publishers to start doing this (yes this is the fault of the consumers, if nobody paid for the DLC it would be free).

Coming form the era of Unreal Tournament/UT2K4, it still blows my mind when people think that 'Four new maps' is something über exciting and worth paying for when back in the day four maps wouldn't even make up a fifth of one community map pack THAT WAS FREE.

The title is wrong. It should be - "Crytek Wants to Transition to be Completely P2W"
The only real F2P till now is Dota 2(which is not released yet but they have already declared that whatever is happening in beta is the final pricing model)

[citation][nom]Microgoliath[/nom]Some people here need to go check how Guild Wars 2 / tera (both f2p, GW2 after buying the game ofc) in-game shop works. There is no pay2win, any game that has a p2w cash shop done the F2P model wrong.[/citation]
i dont understand how u say GW2 is F2P and then u say "GW2 after buying the game"
Tera is not a great game

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]chimera201[/nom]The title is wrong. It should be - "Crytek Wants to Transition to be Completely P2W"The only real F2P till now is Dota 2(which is not released yet but they have already declared that whatever is happening in beta is the final pricing model)i dont understand how u say GW2 is F2P and then u say "GW2 after buying the game"Tera is not a great game[/citation]

because guild wars 2 is really a free to play game where you are forced to buy the base game to join in...

freemium is another term i heard it called. but make no mistake, the game is free to play with a price tag up front.

now watch this comment get down voted because i called guild wars 2 free to play at its core... its like people thing if you dont believe it and make sure no one else sees it its not true but it is...

now that said, free to play... planet side 2, black light retrobution, really most free to play games arent pay to win, at least the well known ones.

most of the rpgs i have played and looked into are all cosmedic systems with some boost things
most shooters i have seen dont make the best guns you must pay money to get,
sure there are some crap ones, but yea... most arent pay to win

From a purely gaming pint of view F2P is the death of skill based gaming. I did try a few of these games at one point but it very quickly turns into a money vs skill contest where the money always wins.
Lets be clear here the idea of these games is to take money from you in what are termed as micro transactions with the promise that a free player can get to the same level with XP points.
It takes one heck of a long time to get to a $2 upgrade with XP and that's to make you want to pay the money.
For the company its great, for gaming its very very bad news.

U pay 60$ for the game and then u call the game free. My common sense is failing me here.
Guild Wars 2 might be the only MMO that stood up to World of Warcraft that had a s**ty subscription model.
U are probably comparing to this subscription model.
But maybe the reason why it stood up to World of Warcraft was because u had to pay only once.

Most F2P are P2W . Either u spend ur precious lifetime progressing through the game or directly buy things to get ahead easily.
The latter holds true in most cases.

So to sum up so far.
F2P really means P2W.
People who enjoy a good challenging single player campaign can get lost.
Companies will do this even if the weight of consumer feedback is negative. (see W8)

lets face it the weight of consumer opinion is redundant in this day and age.

Mactronix :)

Lucky enought, if you make very bad products in a world where people are able to get well infromed (and gamers surely can), your company falls and leaves space for someone who does things better.
So in other words, Crytek will die, and the Crysis 1 team will make a new company that will make anotehr great game before its bought again by a big company (and so the cycle continues).

Thx god we do get at least 1-2 Decent games a year. If you are really good at finding games maybe 4.

Unfortunatelly those 4 games dont have to be the type of games that you like, but dont forget that in the golden age of games, a lot fewer games came out every year.
Dont dispair, if every single company makes crap, someone will find a good oportunity to make money and reputation by doing something good.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
@alidan Do you know the definition of the word "free"? If you are forced to buy the base game, then how is that "free"? Now if you really mean there isn't the typical MMO monthly subscription fee, then that is something different, not "FREE".

As for FTP, you get what you pay for and the goal of FTP is for the developer and publisher to keep a steady cash flow coming in, not to produce the best possible gaming experience upfront in order to get reviews and hence good sales.

Maybe FTP is a blessing in disguise. It will mean there will be a few publishers who will stick to the traditional retail model. In that vein, it will make it easier for me to disciminate the bad games from the good games. I will simply say there no good FTP. Hell, I haven't even play a subscription based MMO. No WOW for me. I certainly hope Bethesda's MMO fails (unless it has the same model as GW and GW2).

Status
Not open for further replies.