Current GPU Necessities

Frobro122

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015
Hey guys, hope all is well! So I've been researching GPU's because I am thinking of purchasing a new one for Black Friday/Cyber Monday as my current card MSi 280x has stuttering and artifacting problems and I don't intend to RMA a second time (first time seemingly fixed these issues for a few days). I understand that cards don't go on sale for too much but they also tend to come with free games so any sort of value I can squeeze out of my GPU purchase I intend to do! But I am kind of torn with our selection as of late. I am looking in the $300 price range (primarily at the gtx 970 or r9 390) and I understand the 970s VRAM issue and I know that the r9 390 has 8GB of it but in all of the benchmarks and reviews I have seen, they seem to be neck and neck in their fps (quite often only 3-5 frames difference depending on the game). - Also I would like to note that Fallout 4 being nvidia optimized has me a little hesitant in potentially purchasing amd.
I'm curious to know what people think are important necessities in GPUs though because while the 8gb of VRAM is wonderful considering 2gb of VRAM is beginning to cause issues in some games, no games seem to actually utilize 8gb of VRAM currently and I am worried about running into the same situation amd has with their CPUs (8 cores for better performance when games start utilizing- but games still barely go to six cores so it was seemingly pointless and a [by my standards] failed experiment). Based on that I am finding it difficult to choose between the slightly lower price (390), or the better game optimization in general (970). Do you believe these cards are worth the purchase or could I find something better in a cheaper/old model like the gtx 960 or maybe r9 290(x?) depending upon price as they seem to perform very similarly with minor fps differences in the 390/970? All I know is that I want to get far away from this glitchy card!

Thanks if you've stuck with me, I just like to be detailed so you can better answer my question. Thank you!

Solution
First of all just like GTX 960 and R9 380 have similar power, GTX 970 and R9 390 have similar FPS.

Actually, if you want to look at that price range you should be looking at GTX 970 and R9 290x where the 290x beats the 970 in many games.

I should also say that AMD drivers are a joke, AMD support is a joke, AMD Catalyst is a joke (I know AMD Crimson is coming but we don't know about it much yet), AMD power consumption is a joke, AMD heat is a joke.

I am not saying AMD CPUs are bad (some are a good choice under certain circumstances) but AMD cards are a joke. Many people have big problems with driver causing game crashes and black screen and all sorts of stuff. I have a friend with R7 260x and a friend with 280 as well as a couple...
First of all just like GTX 960 and R9 380 have similar power, GTX 970 and R9 390 have similar FPS.

Actually, if you want to look at that price range you should be looking at GTX 970 and R9 290x where the 290x beats the 970 in many games.

I should also say that AMD drivers are a joke, AMD support is a joke, AMD Catalyst is a joke (I know AMD Crimson is coming but we don't know about it much yet), AMD power consumption is a joke, AMD heat is a joke.

I am not saying AMD CPUs are bad (some are a good choice under certain circumstances) but AMD cards are a joke. Many people have big problems with driver causing game crashes and black screen and all sorts of stuff. I have a friend with R7 260x and a friend with 280 as well as a couple with 290(x)s and they ALL have issues with their cards.

I also know of 3 dudes who have GTX 770, GTX 960, and GTX 970 and they have never had a problem.

If you play at 1080p, 4GB of VRAM is generally enough (3.5 in GTX 970's case) so you don't really need that 8GB in gaming at this resolution. GTX 970 is a solid card.

Cheers :)

Solution

Frobro122

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015

I've experienced driver issues myself, I thought it may have just been my specific card. I understand that this is a common issue with AMD cards but I have also heard that the 390s are significantly better in comparison to other cards in this regard. I would like to experience an nvidia card as well though so thanks for the heads up and the extra nudge! So the 970 is definitely better than the 960 but do you believe it's worth the price difference? 50-60 fps at 1080p is my target and if the 970 is overkill in those regards I would rather get the 960. Also I had the brief thought to double or triple monitor, would the 970 (or 960?) still be ideal? Cause I know the more VRAM the better for this. Again, many thanks for your input!

GTX 960 and GTX 970, there is a HUGE difference. Usually 15+ FPS depending on the game. If you want to play 1080p games such as GTA V, Witcher 3 you will play those with GTX 960 at med-high settings. With GTX 970, you can put up to high-ultra settings and you will get 45+ FPS. GTX is still a very capable card. My friend Grayson has one and he plays GTA V at med-high no probs. Running multiple monitor setups is also like a walk in the park for both GTX 960 and GTX 970. If you want to see gaming FPS comparison between the cards, look here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-960,4038-4.html

Frobro122

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015

Thanks for the link! Really helpful! In all honesty though, I think what it will come down to will be which gpu offers more value at my time of purchase! I'm okay with high frames at med/high settings as opposed to high at high/ultra if the 970 doesn't come with some free games or from a good company come black friday. But thanks for saving me from AMD ;)