[SOLVED] Curveball - does dual-booting Linux making high-capacity SD cards not work in Win10?

billjay

Commendable
Jan 23, 2018
Here's the rundown:
-I have three laptop computers, two Dells and a Lenovo, all of which I've installed (or tried to install, prepped the BIOS for) Linux Mint on
-the SD card readers work, for low-capacity cards, including SD and Micro-SD card-with-adapters
-I have used several Samsung EVO select 128 GB microsd cards, and none of them work with any of the three computers (although again, low capacity cards work fine)
-I know the Samsung cards are not pirated, i.e. I bought them from Amazon from Samsung. I also know the adapter works just fine.
-The cards work on the LINUX installs
-The card works in my Canon camera no problem. I've used the camera to reformat the card before. I've used the camera to reformat other cards, and no problems (i.e. I don't think it has anything to do with being formatted incorrectly, at least that I can tell - but I'm not the expert here).
-I have to check, but I'm pretty sure the card is formatted in NTFS or exFAT
-I have tried every SD diagnostic trick I could find - uninstalling in device manager, windows disk manager, diskpart, etc.
-the card makes the "du-didda-dunk" sound when inserted
-device manager "sees" the card under "disk drives" etc.
-disk manager sees the drive, but nearly all the options are grayed out, and any of the options that aren't grayed out give an error message when selected (i.e. try to modify drive letter -> "cannot find disk" or whatever)
-diskpart list VOLUME shows the sd card
-diskpart list DRIVE does not show the sd card
-diskpart list volume does not show me the card's formatting; it tells me the volume is removable, healthy, and offline. When I select and try "online volume" it just says it can't make volume online.

So, my question comes down to: is there any way my installing Linux could be hijacking the ability of Windows 10 to read a high-capacity microSD card?

Some forums I came across said things about secureboot (which is off on my laptop) and EUFI, but didn't specify what they were talking about.