[SOLVED] Custom built-in desk pc , need help.

Mar 6, 2019
Have been designing a custom desk pc, have picked out all the components I want,and drawn up and started to build the desk, it will be completely air cooled. Couple questions I have are...
  • will the fan set up be enough to cool the pc, any changes I should make(want to keep fans on sides as intakes because rgb fan lights are single sided).
  • will the components work well together?(components listed in photo) Any changes? Upgrades or better components at similar costs.
  • should I change the orientation of the components in the build?
  • any other help would be appreciated

link for photos of design
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/qPtE5ey

Thanks.

Solution
The Wraith Spire will get loud when your CPU gets hot. They are decent heatsinks, otherwise, but I don't use for that reason.

Other components should be okay. My only concern is airflow as that is what keeps components cool, 6 intake fans should get enough air into the system, but only 2 exhaust fans may not be enough to move all of the air.

Are you also going to mount your PSU in such a way for it to pull cool air directly into itself and exhaust the hot air it creates outside of the desk/case (rather than into the desk/case)??

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The Wraith Spire will get loud when your CPU gets hot. They are decent heatsinks, otherwise, but I don't use for that reason.

Other components should be okay. My only concern is airflow as that is what keeps components cool, 6 intake fans should get enough air into the system, but only 2 exhaust fans may not be enough to move all of the air.

Are you also going to mount your PSU in such a way for it to pull cool air directly into itself and exhaust the hot air it creates outside of the desk/case (rather than into the desk/case)??

Solution
Mar 6, 2019

The desk will be quiet sound proofed, 18mm mdf, with tempered glass and 3mm galvanised steel, so as long as the cpu remains cool im happy, It won’t be over clocked and I don’t do a lot of extreme gaming etc, at most I play a game and watch YouTube, more doing this as a hobby.

How many exhaust fans should I have and where would be the optimal place to put them?

Also the psu has only 1 side with a fan and I was going to face it down so it pulls air in from the bottom of the desk? Would I be better having it face up? How does the psu emit it’s hot air? How should I mount it?

Thank you so much for all your help!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Modern PSUs pull cool air via their fan and then exhaust the hot air out the vents that normally are affixed to the back of a PC case. Looks like you are planning to pull cool air in, but then exhaust it into the interior of the desk itself.

Will all of the sides of the desk be sealed (except for fans and cabling)?

Also, what size intake and exhaust fans do you intent to use (i.e., 120mm, 140mm, etc)?

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019
Yes, all sides will be sealed , except for cable entry’s and fans, I can put air vents in where ever needed , will it help if I turn the psu around so it emits the hot air into the cable zone and put an air vent in there?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The exhaust duct idea should help. Note, I added a question about fans above.

Seal will help with airflow, somewhat, but you do have lots of corners so that will lead to some dead zones, should be okay from the layout you are using.

Mar 6, 2019
The exhaust duct idea should help. Note, I added a question about fans above.

Seal will help with airflow, somewhat, but you do have lots of corners so that will lead to some dead zones, should be okay from the layout you are using.
Buy exhaust duct do you mean about having an air vent in the cable zone and having the psu exhaust into it?

Also I will be using 120mm fans