[SOLVED] (Cyberpower) Is this PSU enough for my system

Oct 15, 2019
So, I've bought a pre-built PC from Cyberpower few days ago. Despite some of the bad reviews about shipping with defective hardware, all parts were delivered perfectly fine. But I am a little worried about the PSU. I am aware that cyberpower has a bad reputation for their usage of cheap PSUs. I have searched in the internet and I found out that people who bought their PCs from cyberpower and fried their whole system (or maybe just their PSUs broke) had Standard PSUs or Xtreme GearsPSUs in their desktop. My desktop came with a thermaltake PSU. I wasn't able to completely take off the components and check for my PSU, but I did see the thermaltake sticker on the PSU. Searching in the cyberpower website, I am pretty sure it's "600 Watts - Thermaltake SMART series 600Watts 80 Plus Gold high-efficient Power Supply ". I did not see someone who posted that they fried their system using a thermaltake PSU, at least from people who used cyberpower.

So the question is, is 600 Watts - Thermaltake SMART series 600Watts 80 Plus Gold considered okay..? (Couldn't find reviews except amazon)
Is this PSU enough for my PC specs??

These are the computer Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-9400F
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 6GB
RAM: 8GB DDR4
MotherBoard: ASRock B360M Xtreme
PSU: 600 Watts - Thermaltake SMART series 600Watts 80 Plus Gold high-efficient Power Supply

Solution
Just opened up my system and checked. Found out it is gold rated smart 600. I guess I'll be changing into another one. Thanks for the advice

Generally speaking, the good Thermaltakes are the Toughpower Grand types.

Generally speaking, look for a SeaSonic Focus, Corsair RMx, or EVGA G2/G3/GS/T2/P2. These are quality PSUs that tend to be widely available. For now at least -- EVGA's worries about Chinese tariffs are resulting in them going cheaper quality with new models.

The PSU isn't so bad that you can't keep it around for testing or other use in a pinch. Just long-term, I feel more comfortable knowing that my safety equipment is good quality. Doesn't have to be some crazy $200 Platinum or anything.

Actually surprised to see...

Solidjake

Notable
Sep 6, 2019
Can you confirm that is the power supply that is physically in the case? Open the side panel on the back of the motherboard and you should be able to see the label (assume the label is not on the front side)

On a side note. I would sell the 8gb stick of ram you have and buy a dual channel set of 2x8GB ram. It will be a lot faster especially when it comes to gaming. That is a bottleneck on your computer.

Reactions: dpdp1010
Oct 15, 2019
Can you confirm that is the power supply that is physically in the case? Open the side panel on the back of the motherboard and you should be able to see the label (assume the label is not on the front side)

On a side note. I would sell the 8gb stick of ram you have and buy a dual channel set of 2x8GB ram. It will be a lot faster especially when it comes to gaming. That is a bottleneck on your computer.
Thank you for the quick reply
Yes, I will consider changing the rams with the rams you suggested.

I don't have access to my computer right now since I am somewhere else, but I will definitely check it when I do. So, assuming it is the thermaltake PSU is it okay for my system?

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah, there were only a couple in the Smart series that were rated Gold and neither of them were 600W PSUs (the SMART DPS G 650W and 750W). Since what you list is a combination of specs and certifications that I don't believe exists, I think it's very important to check the actual PSU.

If it's actually the DPS G 650W and 750W, they're probably fine. If it's one of the lesser Smart series, most of those are just ancient sorta junky hec-made group-regulated PSUs (the Smart 600W 80s they're still selling to this day only gets 504W on the +12V rail, which is embarrassing in 2019). They're not in the pure hot garbage tier, but not something I'd personally trust protecting my equipment.

[Correction: Upon checking plugload, there's a Gold-rated Smart 600 from way back in 2008 that I forgot about. Still wouldn't want to run it, but that one did at least exist]

Last edited:
Reactions: dpdp1010
Oct 15, 2019
Yeah, there were only a couple in the Smart series that were rated Gold and neither of them were 600W PSUs (the SMART DPS G 650W and 750W). Since what you list is a combination of specs and certifications that I don't believe exists, I think it's very important to check the actual PSU.

If it's actually the DPS G 650W and 750W, they're probably fine. If it's one of the lesser Smart series, most of those are just ancient sorta junky hec-made group-regulated PSUs (the Smart 600W 80s they're still selling to this day only gets 504W on the +12V rail, which is embarrassing in 2019). They're not in the pure hot garbage tier, but not something I'd personally trust protecting my equipment.

[Correction: Upon checking plugload, there's a Gold-rated Smart 600 from way back in 2008 that I forgot about. Still wouldn't want to run it, but that one did at least exist]
Just opened up my system and checked. Found out it is gold rated smart 600. I guess I'll be changing into another one. Thanks for the advice

DSzymborski

Titan

Generally speaking, the good Thermaltakes are the Toughpower Grand types.

Generally speaking, look for a SeaSonic Focus, Corsair RMx, or EVGA G2/G3/GS/T2/P2. These are quality PSUs that tend to be widely available. For now at least -- EVGA's worries about Chinese tariffs are resulting in them going cheaper quality with new models.

The PSU isn't so bad that you can't keep it around for testing or other use in a pinch. Just long-term, I feel more comfortable knowing that my safety equipment is good quality. Doesn't have to be some crazy $200 Platinum or anything.

Actually surprised to see that PSU still in the wild given its age. I wonder if they've snuck out a successor model to PC builders (it's not listed on their site).

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
More likely CyberPower gets those psus in bulk rates and TT isn't about to want to take a bath on more expensive units, so end up selling an old design that's still viable, but far cheaper to produce. Kinda like what Seasonic and Delta do with HP and Dell OEM psu's. Having a Gold 80+ rating doesn't hurt, but sounds 'good' and modern. Doesn't mean it's quality or has good outputs or will last, just means it has the circuitry to make it more efficient.

But. It could be a special order