YudaMXO

Honorable
Sep 6, 2014
My CPU fan died, so I bought/installed a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo v2. I wasn’t careful enough when removing the old fan/heatsink and the CPU came off with it. Bent a couple of pins but got them straightened out. Cleaned the thermal compound and applied a new coating. Everything went back together fine. Powers up, fans run, but nothing is happening on the screen...at all. No boot-up, bios run, etc. presents as no input to the monitor, but looks like no computing activity whatsoever. Did I jack up the CPU, the socket, or something else? Not even sure how to trouble shoot other than dropping another CPU in it.

System specs: ASUS M4A88TD-EVO, AMD Phenom II X4 970, 4x Corsair XMS3 DDR 3, Samsung 840 Pro SSD, Corsair GS800 PSU.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

That really sounds like something bent pins would cause.
Same thing happened to me, but it was on the intel socket so the pins were on the motherboard.
You can try a different cpu, that is if you can find one.
When removing a cpu cooler off off a cpu, always twist it left-to-right before actually pulling it out.

YudaMXO

Honorable
Sep 6, 2014
That really sounds like something bent pins would cause.
Same thing happened to me, but it was on the intel socket so the pins were on the motherboard.
You can try a different cpu, that is if you can find one.
When removing a cpu cooler off off a cpu, always twist it left-to-right before actually pulling it out.
It had been so long since I removed the fan & heatsink, I forgot all about the twist-it-first trick. All the pins are perfectly straight now, but perhaps I did something internal to the CPU while straightening them. I’ll find a used chip that fits in an AM3 socket, and give it a go. Cheers!

Reactions: Dj0gany

DSzymborski

Titan
It had been so long since I removed the fan & heatsink, I forgot all about the twist-it-first trick. All the pins are perfectly straight now, but perhaps I did something internal to the CPU while straightening them. I’ll find a used chip that fits in an AM3 socket, and give it a go. Cheers!

An even better trick is using dental floss or fishing line and running it between the CPU and heatsink.

YudaMXO

Honorable
Sep 6, 2014
Following up. It was a damaged pin on the CPU. Managed to find a new one...popped it in and fired right up. It is alive! Interesting new challenge though...all four cores are running at/near 100% according to my core clocker desktop gadget. Stepped down from an AMD Phenom II X4 to 970 to a 965, but that shouldn't explain the spike. I saw core usage jump as the old CPU fan began to fail, but the temp monitor indicates CPU is staying at a steady 37 deg-C with the new heatsink & fan. RAM usage at a steady 25%. Any ideas?

Last edited: