AndroidUser_1014

Honorable
Apr 29, 2016
Hello! Several years ago my laptop's HDD started dying and I had it replaced. It's a Toshiba 1 TB 2.5 HDD from Toshiba laptop. According to HDD Sentinel it's at 9% life with 2848 bad and 13528 weak sectors.It's almost empty but I have previously scanned it with EaseUS Data Recovery and recovered some files. Now I want to recover its' entire content or most. But it's now seemingly much slower, the program was scanning for like 6-7 hours and recovered only about 8000 files standing at 1%, they normally are in the high hundreds of thousands. It's possible I have additionally damaged it since at the service they placed it in a hard plastic casing which I tried to open and it may have fell a few times. I also defragmented it but without much impact. So my question is what can I do to get the data, is it possible to increase the drive's speed?

Solution
Kind of, but does it clone the deleted files as well? Because what I want to recover is all deleted but they are still there and recoverable. I gave the Ease US method another chance: now it's been running for like an hour and has listed over 83000 files yet standing at 0% complete. I will keep the computer going all night long and maybe even more time, it may actually do the job.
A clone is a clone is a clone. It should, in theory, create a bit for bit copy.

Now....recovering data from:
  • a several year old drive
  • that was already failing
  • that has been dropped
  • that has been defragged
  • the data in the Recycle Bin....
Good luck with that.

Continued scanning with EaseUs etc is simply thrashing the drive...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I probably shouldn't mention this, lol. It is NOT something I recommend or really even suggest that it will for sure work for you.

Some years ago I had a HDD that was in the midst of failing and I needed some info from it. This was before I was doing proper backup procedures. We used an external adapter and set the drive in the freezer. It allowed me to recover a bit of the data where it would not before.
Keep in mind that the MOMENT you pull one out of the freezer it will condensate. We did this with the drive inside the freezer and only shortly after being in there. I have ZERO faith that this would work for anyone at any time, but it did....

Reactions: AndroidUser_1014

AndroidUser_1014

Honorable
Apr 29, 2016
I probably shouldn't mention this, lol. It is NOT something I recommend or really even suggest that it will for sure work for you.

Some years ago I had a HDD that was in the midst of failing and I needed some info from it. This was before I was doing proper backup procedures. We used an external adapter and set the drive in the freezer. It allowed me to recover a bit of the data where it would not before.
Keep in mind that the MOMENT you pull one out of the freezer it will condensate. We did this with the drive inside the freezer and only shortly after being in there. I have ZERO faith that this would work for anyone at any time, but it did....
Sounds crazy and I may resort to it in case nothing else works.

AndroidUser_1014

Honorable
Apr 29, 2016
What you want to try to do is clone the whole thing to some other drive.

ddresecue in Linux, or HDDSuperCLone.

Then, try any 'data recovery' on this cloned drive.

If those 2 tools fail...it is beyond consumer level recovery.
Kind of, but does it clone the deleted files as well? Because what I want to recover is all deleted but they are still there and recoverable. I gave the Ease US method another chance: now it's been running for like an hour and has listed over 83000 files yet standing at 0% complete. I will keep the computer going all night long and maybe even more time, it may actually do the job.

USAFRet

Titan

• that has been dropped
Good luck with that.

Continued scanning with EaseUs etc is simply thrashing the drive. Hastening the inevitability of total fail and 0% data recovery.
Stop doing that.

all deleted but they are still there and recoverable
Nothing is guaranteed 'recoverable' until it exists on some other storage medium, and you're displaying the actual file and its contents.

Solution
I'll guess that if you clone you want a sector by sector clone.....that should get everything.
If you do a data clone I doubt delete files will be cloned.

AndroidUser_1014

Honorable
Apr 29, 2016

• that has been dropped
Good luck with that.

Continued scanning with EaseUs etc is simply thrashing the drive. Hastening the inevitability of total fail and 0% data recovery.
Stop doing that.

Nothing is guaranteed 'recoverable' until it exists on some other storage medium, and you're displaying the actual file and its contents.
Well, as I'm running Ease US now, some of the recovered files are actually previewable and able to recover, I will try to see if it manages to recover everything possible, otherwise I would do the cloning.

AndroidUser_1014

Honorable
Apr 29, 2016
Stop worrying about "speed".

The more you mess with it, the less likely it will be to recover the data.

And do NOT invoke chkdsk.
I only care about the speed because it's absurdly slow and it managed to crash Windows Explorer and the previuos times when it was working with somewhat normal speed, the program scanned the entire drive for maybe couple hours, now it takes vast amounts of time for little progress. Ok I won't use chkdsk.

USAFRet

Titan
I only care about the speed because it's absurdly slow and it managed to crash Windows Explorer and the previuos times when it was working with somewhat normal speed, the program scanned the entire drive for maybe couple hours, now it takes vast amounts of time for little progress. Ok I won't use chkdsk.
Which indicates increasing levels of fail.
The more you mess with it, the closer it is to the grave.

AndroidUser_1014

Honorable
Apr 29, 2016
Which indicates increasing levels of fail.
The more you mess with it, the closer it is to the grave.
HDD Sentinel estimated it's remaining lifetime at 11 days, if it's to be trusted and it has about 250 days of usage... which I think is a bit too early failure but it may have to do with the laptop falling from over 1 meter on hard surface, but it started actively dying long time after this.

USAFRet

Titan
HDD Sentinel estimated it's remaining lifetime at 11 days, if it's to be trusted and it has about 250 days of usage... which I think is a bit too early failure but it may have to do with the laptop falling from over 1 meter on hard surface, but it started actively dying long time after this.
I've had drives die completely at 5 weeks out of the box.
Went from seemingly perfect to absolutely dead in about 36 hours.

Totally inaccessible.
Warranty replaced the drive, backups replaced the data.

Reactions: AndroidUser_1014

AndroidUser_1014

Honorable
Apr 29, 2016
I waited for one night and in the morning EaseUS has recovered the whole disk, 1420000 files... somehow listing them as about 4 TB total. I'm downloading all the files I need, some are corrupt, other are just fine, got what I wanted. Thank all of you who came up with advice!